First time gun owner. What gun to purchase? 24/7 OSS good choice?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

First time gun owner. What gun to purchase? 24/7 OSS good choice?

This will be my first handgun and I really like the 24/7 OSS 9mm but have been reading about the fact that it shoots low and left. I plan on learning to shoot on this gun and wondered if this is a good idea to start with a gun that might have a know problem. I know next to nothing about handguns and would really welcome any suggestions.

Member #
    Liked
    29765 times

Re: First time gun owner. What gun to purchase? 24/7 OSS good choice?

Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't concern myself with "blanket statements" about any guns shooting low & left, that's just so much BS.

There are too many variables involved in shooting to do so, and most of the time it's "pilot error".

The 24/7 line are good guns, but if you're going to also be considering concealed carry somewhere down the line you might want to look at the equally good Millennium Pro series.

I'd suggest finding a good instructor to teach you the basics first. Go slow, be patient and don't get caught up in the "equipment race".

Will and Skill wins gun fights not the latest wizbang wondergun & magic bullets.

MOONDAWG
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    60 times

I'm one of those low&left reporters, but it was only my inexperienced trigger handling. The 'low' part is that you need to aim correctly for the sights on OSS. Do not put the front sight below the target. You need to aim with the front sight white dot right on the target. 'Left' part is you need to just learn to shoot. Plus if the sight is not correctly adjusted in the factory, fix that first. I have not heard that anyone else has had this sight adjustment problem, so probably was just my gun.

All in all I'm very happy with my OSS 9mm. Just passed IPSC safety examination with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have a 24/7 pro 9mm that I am very happy with. Have not had much problem with the low and to the left issue, my only problem occurs after 15 yard (but thats my eysight not the gun.) I think as long as you have correct trigger pull it should not be a problem. I think it is a great choice for a first time shooter, easy to operate, comfortable in the hand, and quality built. The trigger took some getting used too though, it has some play in it but very light pull maybe 5-6 lbs. I do not have CHL yet so can't comment on that. I believe the OSS comes in different color options, which may be of interest (tan.)
    Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm
    Taurus 24/7 OSS .40

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

A little more information. I live in Maryland so getting a carry permit isn't really an option so that is one reason I was looking for a full size gun. I was also looking at the 24/7 9mm long slide but after talking to a few dealers they said they liked the OSS models. Any feedback on the long slide model?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i just got a PT 24/7 PRO DS 9mm last weekend, havent got to shoot it much, with it being cold, windy, and raining off and on since i got it. But from what i have shot, i really like it.comes with 2 17rd clips, super sweeet gun i would say.
    Taurus PT640 PRO .40 S&W

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Also, i was just lookin at the case it came in, and it says PT 24/7 4" SS. Very accurate gun imo, i just gotta do some practice with it.
    Taurus PT640 PRO .40 S&W

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

counselormatt, I just bought my first handgun and it's a 24/7 OSS .40 S&W. I can't say if its a good starter or not because my work schedule has kept me from visiting the range. I'm thinking about quitting my job because of it...seriously.

Get the OSS over the LS. Every store I talked to said about 45 to 50 percent of all LSs were fouling 30 rnds into their life. The lifetime guarantee will help, but it's still a PITA.

If you can hang on a few days, I'm visiting two ranges this weekend and I'll let you know how it shoots and give you a first time owner impression. There were a lot of exciting words about it online and in the rags, here's hoping it lives up to it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Sure let me know what you think after the trip to the range. I'd like some first hand feedback.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

If you don't have a problem with a full size pistol, then you might want to check out the PT92s as well. Not as pretty as the 24/7s, but very dependable and easy to clean and maintain. I am definately glad I got my 92 as my first.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links