Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Ability to shoot .45 ACP in Jaurus Judge Polymer using moon clips

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ability to shoot .45 ACP in Taurus Judge Polymer using moon clips

It would be a GREAT advantage to be able to shoot .45 ACP ammunition in a Taurus Judge. Perhaps Taurus will modify future Judges to allow for the use of moon clips with .45 acp ammunition. If another gun maker can do it, surely Taurus can do it.

I recently purchased a Judge Public Defender Polymer and it's a GREAT GUN.

Thanks for listening
    Last edited by xd9c45; 06-22-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: To correct spelling

Member #
    Liked
    13850 times
    I'm holding out on the Judge until this modification comes out.
    GunsandNoses likes this.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((º> ><((((º> ><((((º> Fish on! <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    3582 times
    Would the moon clips from a 450 work in a Judge, or is the extractor star that different between the two?
    "I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. Hear it loud, hear it clearly. I am a better American today because of Barack Obama. I know what my country has done, both good and bad. I have a deep appreciation of what this country is and what the American people are capable of. This is not a setback. This is a challenge and believe me, the American people are up to the challenge,...." -Glenn Beck

Member #
    Liked
    7238 times
    I am waiting for .45ACP also.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Whats the reason that they havent done this already?

Member #
    Liked
    13850 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    Whats the reason that they havent done this already?
    Probably not as easy as we all think it is!
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((º> ><((((º> ><((((º> Fish on! <º)))>< <º)))>< <º)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    1769 times
    The Tracker .45 acp moon clips fit most of the Judges and Circuit Judges, also fit the Tracker size 45 colt guns. The problem is pressure rating difference between the 45 acp and 45 colt, with the 45 acp being the higher of the two. Taurus Judge cylinder walls are very thin on my ultra lite Judge. Myself and a lot of other people used the Taurus 45 acp moon clips to shoot the .45 acp rounds from the Judges. There were several u tube film clips of different people doing it but Taurus never gave their blessings. Probably because of the pressure issue and the fact that 45 acp plus P rounds run even higher pressure. Smith coming into the game later and knowing some would want the option took advantage of it. They already have 45 acp revolvers with both full and half moon clips. Smith guns are just their shot at part of the market Taurus has. For Taurus to make one now that takes the clips their Trackers use would open up liability issues if anything happened. The argument of "it has been done before so it must be safe". is an argument built on thin ice. Cylinders have been made thin that held 45 acp type pressure. Without knowing what the pressure rating on the Taurus cylinders really is you are just guessing. Taurus is also very ambiguous in their ammo rating for guns. They give bullet weight and velocity. You can look at reloading manuals and see that depending on the powder used to reach a given velocity with said bullet pressure can run to extremes and still be safe. All depending on the powder burn rate, cast or jacketed, etc. Taurus may do something else, they built a Raging Judge that shoots 454 ammo.
    Last edited by TheOldRedneck; 06-17-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: fix what my average intelligence phone fixed

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    There are videos and part numbers on youtube. It's been done. Although from my research no recommended because of the increased pressure the .45 acp creates.

The moon clips used in this video are:
    Taurus Clips...Part # 5-0455

Member #
    Liked
    21059 times
    .45 ACP = .452" diameter
    .45 LC = .456" diameter

.45 ACP = .476"-.473" tapered case
    .45 LC = .480" case diameter
    You are not going to be able to shoot both
    Keeper of The Pledge

Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.
    ∀xx ∃xy | xx∇xy > 0
    I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

“It has been said that the great scientific disciplines are examples of giants standing on the shoulders of other giants. It has also been said that the software industry is an example of midgets standing on the toes of other midgets.” (Alan Cooper)

Member #
    Liked
    1769 times
    Most of the modern 45 colt and 454's are .452 bullet diameter now. Even though 45 acp were often listed as .451 they at also usually .452 bullet diameter. Also measure the actual case diameter on both the colt and acp cases. Will not get into what fits which gun issue with moon clips as to make and models of guns but there are several that it can be done with. Was also some 45 acp revolvers from years past that used moon clips but were bored straight through with out the chamber cut for the case mouth to headspace on. They would chamber and fire the old 45 colt rounds just like a 45 colt revolver. They had to have moon clips to work with the acp rounds. Many rounds today are smaller, tighter than the specs from years ago. When I order chamber reamers special attention is given to the specs on both case and throat dimension. On revolvers I want the throat and bore sized the same as bullet diameter or a thou smaller. For the forcing cone area of the barrel Taylor throated, and a barrel cylinder gap under .003. Some of us have been kicking around having a cylinder made to shoot both heavy load 45 colt and acp rounds with moon clips. A 454 that would do all would probably be pushing the cost out of reason, but Ruger strength 45 colt round is doable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links