Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rossi 92 .357 Feed Problems

This is a NIB Rossi 92 20” SS that I have been working on. It will feed .38s (LRN) just fine but chokes on the longer .357 (JSP). It exhibited these problems out of the box but I was sure that a good “fluff and buff” would resolve both problems. I was wrong!
    There are 2 problems.

1. When loading .357 rounds the nose of the bullet seems to hit an obstruction (the “mouth” of the opening to the magazine tube?) causing the round to come to a complete halt with the rim about 1/16” away from contacting the forward edge of the feed port. At this point the nose of the bullet shows damage – partially shaved on one side and a burr is raised. If the round is pulled out and reinserted it will sometimes load and at least slight resistance at the same point can be felt. I have dismantled the rifle 3 times in an attempt to fix this, radiusing and smoothing the “mouth” that leads to the magazine tube. It seems to be a little better but I am afraid of removing too much in this area and causing other problems. I haven't been able to determine positively where it is hitting but from what I can see from the marks left on the bullet it appears to be contacting the “ramp”on the left side of the receiver just below the cartridge stop.

UPDATE: It finally occurred to me to remove the magazine spring and the ugly yellow plastic follower as a trial and .357 now loads great. Too bad I can't leave it like this! The problem is: was the follower locking up or was the pressure of the spring causing the rounds to contact the feed ramp with more force? It looks like I now have an “excuse” to buy a nice metal replacement follower!

1. As the round attempts to load in the chamber the rear of the cartridge is low on the face of the bolt while the bullet end is trying to go into the chamber resulting in the round being at quite an angle. The rear of the round then “drags” or locks up outright on the face of the bolt causing either stiff resistance at this point or a total refusal to load. Sometimes backing up the bolt a little and trying it again will get the round to chamber. It looks almost like operating the action fast enough would cause the carrier to”throw”the round up and raise the rear of the round but it will not consistently be operated at this speed due to operator health problems I have very slightly radiused and polished the lower section of the entrance to the chamber but it seemed to make little or no difference. Again, I don't want to take off too much and create other problems.

In the interest of full disclosure I have polished or buffed (without removing much metal) everything that moves and taken about 6” off the magazine spring and 1 coil off the ejector spring and polished the ejector and ejector collar. I have also lightened the trigger spring and the spring of the load gate cover.
    I really don't want to send it back to Rossi now because (a) I don't expect them to fix the problems and (b) after all the work that has been done I am afraid they will either say the warranty has been voided or they will want to replace all the parts that have been modified. I'm not usually long-winded but I wanted to describe the problems well.
    Thoughts? Ideas?

Member #
    Liked
    79 times
    I purchased a new Rossi 92 with round 20" barrel a month ago. Had the same feed problems with .357 factory ammo and my reloads. Factory ammo and my reloads were 1.56 - 1.58 OAL. I purchased mag follower and spring kit from Steve's Gunz and also the DVD to slick up the action. I followed his recommendations on taking some metal off of the extractor and the loading gate. Also took about 4" off of the magazine spring. Also purchased a gun slinger spring kit from Brownells and replaced the mainspring and the little spring on the lever pin that holds the lever closed.
    I made some reloads with different OAL's - ranging from 1.52" to 1.56". The reloads that were 1.54" OAL fed okay without problem. I am currently making the .357 reloads to the 1.54" OAL and feeding is much better.

Don't know if this will help your problem but wanted to give some input. This is a great site - someone else will probably give you the help you need. I went to the taurus/rossi rifle forum on this site and read the posts - they helped me a lot.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I noticed similar sticking when feeding the tube magazine. I did the full Stevez job with a new metal follower. I also fed it a lot of ammo. The sticking problem seems to be gradually decreasing. I believe the mag spring is too strong is the biggest problem. Most of the rest is just little burrs and corners etc.
    “That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.” Article 1, Section 26, The Alabama Constitution

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    i just got a new 92 in 38/357..wont feed 38 for crap..really dissappointed

Member #
    Liked
    861 times
    With mine, the more I worked the action the better it functioned. Like Steve51 posted, COL may be an issue with some rifles. Also, you may have problems if you are trying to feed it wad cutters.

Work that action about a hundred times and see if there is any improvement.
    THREE TYPES OF PEOPLE YOU MEET IN LIFE:
    -THOSE WHO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WATCH THINGS HAPPEN
    -THOSE WHO WONDER WHAT HAPPENED!!!

Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Quote Originally Posted by striper View Post
    i just got a new 92 in 38/357..wont feed 38 for crap..really dissappointed
    You just gotta keep working them, it will get better...
    "A Nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a Master and deserves one."
    Alexander Hamilton

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Mine is picky on the width and shape of the bullet. I haven't done the metal follower and shortening of mag spring yet. Mine loaded and cycled Fiocchi 148gr JSHP .357 with no problem. Also likes Fed125 gr HP in .357.

Member #
    Liked
    390 times
    I also have a new R92 in the .38/.357 caliber. I'm interested in the fact that even the few posters in the thread so far have issues with a variety of ammo, i.e., we're all (in this thread) having feeding issues, but not with the same ammo. First time at the range the only ammo I could cycle without issues was .38 FMJ. None of my .357 would cycle; I had to manually load it. That was three varieties of soft or hollow point ammo, including some Hormandy GFX. What I saw matched the description of the OP with nicks on the edge of the ammo and getting stuck on the edge of the forcing cone.

Striper, if you're reading this, I'm curious to know what kind of .38 spl ammo you were trying unsuccessfully to use. Was it soft point? For .38 spl I used FMJ without any problem. But my .38 spl FMJ with a flattened point did not feed properly. Later, at home, and after cleaning, I could cycle the FMJ with flattened point. Still couldn't get any .357 to cycle normally - a little jiggling got some of it properly seated, but I wouldn't want to be in a situation where I was depending on that ammo in a tense situation.

I'm sure an experienced gunsmith who's familiar with the R92 could tell us what is going on, but for a newbie like me it's a mystery. I've ordered the Steve's Gunz kit and I'll try those "fixes" and see what I end up with. From another site I've read from people I trust that sending the gun back to the factory may not be the best thing to do.
    “Men are qualified for civil liberty in exact proportion to their disposition to put moral chains upon their own appetites….”
    ― Edmund Burke

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    what mine would do is when you only loaded one in the tube it would work fine.. load 2 or more and when you levered it down it would push one out of the tube and push the second partially out also.. the cartridge stop would not stop the bullets from coming out the feed tube.. i sent it back to rossi

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I sent mine back to Rossi as well. It wouldn't cycle .357 factory ammo. A little adjustment by their gunsmiths and now it works fine. I too have Steve's DVD but I wanted to make sure I had a working gun before I voided the warranty.
    there's nothing like a friend that can tell you your just pissing in the wind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links