Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Dang it, Walmart! You Are Eyeing My Credit Card!

3K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  91 whiskey 
#1 ·
Was in WalMart's sporting section to see how much of a mad house it was. It's still nutty.
A feller was standing there, staring at a Sig Sauer "black" gun. He was looking hard.

"It's a .22LR", I said.
"Are you sure? How do you know?"
"The tag says so. I brought my reading glasses, this time."
"Damnit! Where do I find a .223?"
"Last week."

I was about to walk away, my job of kicking a man while he was down was complete. Then it caught my eye. A Rossi Wizard. A single shot .243 Winchester. The guys behind the counter were scrambling like a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, but I got someone to get the rifle out of the cabinet.

The rifle felt very nice. The breach opened smoothly and felt good. It threw to the shoulder nicely. The front sight green and the rear two reds, I could easily make a shot with it.

The only reason I didn't mindlessly reach for the credit card and get it was I have no idea about the .243 Winchester round.
OK, also because the wife was also in the store and she already thinks I have a guns and ammo problem. Back to reason number one.

Anyone here have personal experience with the .243 Winchester? Do you like it? Will it reliably drop a white tail?

Should I stop letting things follow me home and be happy with the .308 Savage I already have?

See less See more
#2 ·
The .243 is a wonderful round! I used one as a kid to hunt Whitetails in Wisconsin. Light recoil, flat shooter, fairly hi velocity. Excellent round. Easy to reload also. By the way, though I wouldn't recommend it Karamojo Bell, used the round to hunt elephants and was extremely successful with it. Bell was a Great White Hunter in Africa last century. He was an excellent shot by the way. Many of the elephants he took were a result of thinning the elephant herd for the local government. There are many books available about this guy that make for pretty good reading. You should have bought that rifle!

#3 ·
The .243 is a wonderful round! I used one as a kid to hunt Whitetails in Wisconsin. Light recoil, flat shooter, fairly hi velocity. Excellent round. Easy to reload also. By the way, though I wouldn't recommend it Karamojo Bell, used the round to hunt elephants and was extremely successful with it. Bell was a Great White Hunter in Africa last century. He was an excellent shot by the way. Many of the elephants he took were a result of thinning the elephant herd for the local government. There are many boks available about this guy that make for pretty good reading. You should have bought that rifle!
OK, done deal. I'll be picking it up.
No big rush; everyone seems to be crapping all over themselves to get a "black" rifle they should have had, already. Being already prepared as a good citizen, I can now think about fun stuff.

#8 ·
Nope. Keeping the .308. Here's how.

I justified it by saying it is for Wifey.

Went to William Longshots' place a few minutes ago and ordered on with the sights. He has some with just rails. Call me whatever, but I want sights.

Also snatched up 100 rounds of .243.

#9 ·
I think .243 Winchester is simply a
.308 case necked for 6mm bullets.

Never had one but hear they're awesome.
Good combination of flat shooting,
power, and fairly light recoil. Good
youngster round for deer.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: jimb1972 and Denton
#11 ·
Stopped by the shop, today.
Rifle still not in.
Distributor is not taking any more orders, and prefers nobody calls. Everyone, including people typically assigned to taking orders are in the back trying to get orders out the door.

You know what that means, right? There will be a lot of screw-ups.

#13 ·
06 January, and still waiting...

Haven't even been able to pick up another stinking box of ammo for it.

Getting frustrated at this, let me tell you.

#16 ·
AH-Ha!

No sooner did I make that last post did I get a call. Grabbed the sandals and ran out the door. I now have in my possession my beautiful Wizard with a .243Win barrel.

It is beautiful. Can't wait to take the wife out shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.