Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times

Can a Rossi R92 45colt handle "ruger only" loads?

I am thinking of getting a Rossi R92 lever action in 45 colt (24" barrel) as a companion to my Ruger revolvers. Will this gun handle a steady diet of "Ruger Only" loads?
    Find out just how tall I am
    By jumping in the middle of a river

Member #
    Liked
    503 times
    I'm thinking of one of those too. On a cast bullet form I'm on, the guys are doing it all the time. They have been saying that the 92 Rossi is a stronger action than the Winchester. Not owning one myself yet, that's just what I've been hearing. I've been shooting the .45 Blackhawk for many years with heavy loads and want a rifle to match. They do say that the actions are a bit rough but smooth out with use.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    13700 times
    I won't say yes, that's something that you should consider for yourself. Having said that, I've loaded 255gr bullets that chronied right at 1200fps. I'm sure there are others out there with hotter loads.
    Oh yeah, my old model Ruger Vaquero handles these very well too!
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Yes they can handle for Rugar only loads fine. The Rossi action is harder than most of 1894 actions out there. Now the Rio Grande won't but can get close but the Rossi 92 sure can.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    1242 times
    I wonder if there are any parts upgrades or extra heat treating to the .454 version of the same rifle???
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    I wonder if there are any parts upgrades or extra heat treating to the .454 version of the same rifle???
    Basically the same other than the bore size as the 45 Colt and of course the ability to handle a longer OAL of a cartridge. I've actully loaded some 45 Colt to 454 power levels. It is painful to shoot on the shoulder with the C shaped butt pad and metal butt plate. That is about the only difference in most an the 454 version is the butt plate with recoil pad as part of it.
    Last edited by joecil; 11-12-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    Joe

makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joecil View Post
    Basically the same other than the bore size as the 45 Colt and of course the ability to handle a longer OAL of a cartridge. I've actully loaded some 45 Colt to 454 power levels. It is painful to shoot on the shoulder with the C shaped butt pad and metal butt plate. That is about the only difference in most an the 454 version is the butt plate with recoil pad as part of it.
    Man I've been havin the urge to get a .45 Colt to go w the .357. Do you think it is as acurate as the little brother? (.357)
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr40ken View Post
    Man I've been havin the urge to get a .45 Colt to go w the .357. Do you think it is as acurate as the little brother? (.357)
    To be honest I have never shot any of my friends 38/357 versions of the rifle. I've never even had the urge to try one. Back to your question they often beat me in competition in NCOWS so I assume they are accurate, though the tend to beat me with their 38 SAA pistols over my 45 Colt SAA as I rarely miss the rifle targets at 50 yds nor do they. Now for hunting I prefer the 45 Colt loaded to 454 standard load using 290 gr Ranch Dog bullet. Mine by the way is the 20" octagon barrel version with case hardened finish. Just be aware 45 Colt is more expensive ammo that 38/357 unless you load your own.
    Joe

makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    457 times
    Thanks, joecil. Yes I would roll my own. I got my .357 '92 to go with the revolver in .357. Since the .45 Colt '92 has the advatage of the say the Ruger loads it would seem to be a flexable big bore. And the octagnal barrel and case hardened finish has to be one of the best looking for sure. What velocity are you sending the Ranch Dog bullet?
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Frankin-

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr40ken View Post
    Thanks, joecil. Yes I would roll my own. I got my .357 '92 to go with the revolver in .357. Since the .45 Colt '92 has the advatage of the say the Ruger loads it would seem to be a flexable big bore. And the octagnal barrel and case hardened finish has to be one of the best looking for sure. What velocity are you sending the Ranch Dog bullet?
    According the Ranch Dog (has a chronograph which I don't) using 25.5 gr of Hodgdon Lil'Gun it should be close to 1774 fps and inside the power ability of the M92 which is actually a stronger action than the 94 Marlins and Winchesters. Be prepared though if you load these up with that recipe they are painful to shoot especially from a bench. I had a butt cover made for mine just to shoot them as so far the only round that has bothered me from 45 Colt. You can buy the bullets made from a Ranch Dog cast (no longer available) at Carolina Bullets and good to deal with. I bought 500 of them which will last me the rest of my life for sure. You can go to Ranch Dog Outdoors and under molds look for disconntinued (he is closing his doors) he has the load data, bullet data etc listed. He does this for every mold he designed both still in stock and those he sold out of though the ones still in stock are listed under molds.
    Last edited by joecil; 11-15-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Joe

makes you a musician.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links