Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rossi M92 357 Action Issues

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rossi M92 357 Action Issues

Picked up a new M92 SS 20" 357/38 Rifle
    It will not cylce the 357 rounds at all. 38's it does fine.

Questions: Is the Steves Gunz Dvd and Kit the answer ?
    Is it a user friendly kit ?

What Are my Options to get this thing smooth and operating correctly?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I pickup a Rossi 92 SS 24" Oct barrel 357/38 last week. I had the same issues and you'll probably find that with the sight set as low as they will go the 357 rounds will shoot 12" high at 75 yards. I bought Steve's DVD, about the only thing I saw on the DVD that I thought might help was a good cleaning with brake cleaner. It didn't help and I really don't see anything on the DVD that will help with our problem. I'm a newbie with this stuff so I might of missed something on the DVD.

Steve did say that these guys are "ammo sensitive" and you may have to taylor the ammo to fit the gun. I had some .357 reloads that I bought from a local indoor range that cycled fine through the gun. What I found was the reloads were 20 thousands of an inch shorter then factory ammo.

FWIW, the .38sp rounds shot 4" groups at 75 yards..not bad for a guy that hasn't fired a rifle in years.

Oh yeah, I have read that shooting the gun may help with our problem. I'm going to put another 150 rounds through it this weekend.
    Last edited by golfish; 11-09-2012 at 11:17 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Mine handles .357 125 gr JHP fine but just wont cycle 148 gr JHP at all. Yes it is length sensitive.
    Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

Get a shot off fast. This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect.

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don’t ever count on having both at once.

Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed.

Does history record any case in which the majority was right?

From ‘Notebooks of Lazarus Long’ by Robert A. Heinlein

Member #
    Liked
    4083 times
    Some cases have thicker rims than others, which could lead to this problem. You could have the chamber checked for roughness and length also.
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Member #
    Liked
    3672 times
    golfish...look forward to your update because I have been thinking about the Rossi carbine.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...aphdmansoc

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aphdmansoc View Post
    golfish...look forward to your update because I have been thinking about the Rossi carbine.
    aphdmansoc, My son and I are going out to the Mojave desert tomorrow with 200 rounds..Most will be Remington .38sp 130 grain MC rounds with some mixed .357 rounds. I'll probably have to hand feed the .357 and or jiggle the lever to get them to feed.

I really do love this gun. I could not believe how straight it shot. I had a few 4" groups at 75 yards, not bad for an old guy. I'm sure 99% of the guys here could do better. The action is great, feeding the rounds is easy, the fit and finish could be better but its easy to buff out stainless and refinish wood. I would like to see or read info on removing the forearm stock. All I have read refers to the carbine and not the RIFLE..

I sure wish somebody would chimm in about the cycling issue myself and the OP are having.

Mark

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    i recently bought a rossi 92 in 38/357 mag and am having pretty much the same issues . i bought a box of remington 125 gr jacketed softpoint ammo with it and really had to play around with it to get them to chamber , i also had the same results with my reloaded 158 gr lead round nose reloads. i also tried some of my 158 gr swc reloads and they seemed to run fine so then i just played around with a few different styles of bullets . after i saw the swc bullets chambered fine i decided to try my 148 gr wad cutters through it and they cycled fine and it seems pretty much any style of bullet loaded in a 38 case works ok , so yes i also believe its a length issue . i will say ive got a few hundred rounds through this gun now it seems to be getting a little better but i do wanna play around with the over all length of my reloaded round nose ammo .

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    I wish I could chime in to help, but I can point out that mine is only about a year old, it has the action job described by Steve, and it has never had a cycling problem with any round. It was much rougher when I got it, but I did the action job almost right away.
    “That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.” Article 1, Section 26, The Alabama Constitution

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I've decided to send the gun back to Braztech in Florida and let them deal with it. Once it chambers .357 ok then I'll take it down.
    there's nothing like a friend that can tell you your just pissing in the wind

Member #
    Liked
    3672 times
    Sorry to hear about your problems with the carbine. The cycling issue is a big turn off for me. I'm not mechanically inclined. I was hoping to use this for a plinker and home defense. Guess I will look elsewhere for a 38/357 combo...I think Marlin makes a carbine in those calibers.
    You can get a lot with a smile but you can get a lot more with a smile and a gun...Al Capone

Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth...Mike Tyson

On different calibers for self-defense: If you can hit what you aim at it doesn't matter...if you can't it doesn't matter. So, it doesn't matter...aphdmansoc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links