Liked
    18 times

Review of the Rossi Rio Grande

NRA Life
    NAHC Life

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    I found that interesting since I actually compared my Rossi RG to 2 Marlins one of which I wanted to buy before I left with the RG. I found the Marlins to feel like sand in the action when moving the lever and clunky besides the wood didn't fit well with gaps. The Rossi was smooth as silk and looked perfect externally. I left a bit over $300 richer with the Rossi in 45-70. Now when I got home I totally desmantled the guns main parts. I cleaned it completely of the factory grease and stated looking for flaws such as burrs and rough spots. Now when I started examing the guns internal working parts it looked to me like it had been gone through by a good gun smith. Not a mark or scratch. I found one slight burr on the carrier and as the review stated the loading gate is tough on the fingers. I removed the burr from the gate in about a minute followed by a wipe of flitze polish and focused my attention on the loading gate. The first thing there was remove a very slight but sharp burr from the edge of it which too about two passes with fine sand paper only. I also bent the loading gate just a fraction of an inch back. I reassembled it then lubed it. A few days later I took it to the range (indoor so 25 yards was limit) when I put a few rounds of Hornady 45-70 Government 250 gr Monoflex Leverevolution through it followed by about 20 rounds of mine using Trailboss and a 405 gr cast bullet. It fired flawlessly every time and after the 5 rounds of Hornady the loading gate became as easy as my Rossi 92 45 Colt to load. I've since added a Bushnell 1.5-4.5 x 32mm Banner Dusk to Dawn scope on Weaver quad mounts and sighted it in with my own loads for hunting to 100 yards. I'm now waiting to go hunting with it but doubt I will get a chance this year however due to work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I'm sure when you do get to take it hunting, that it will put meat on the table. Its a fine looking rifle. I did a little work to my '92 in 45 Colt to smooth it up. My Marlin 1895 STBL needed attention like you stated. Pretty rough at first. Its smoother now, and hunting season is just starting here. So hopefully I'll get to drop the hammer on something.
    I was in the big city yesterday (Missoula) but only had time to stop by 1 gun shop. They didn't have any Rossis' and very few leverguns at all. Most of the levers they had were .22s. His excuse was that there are too many makes and models now. They stock what sells...anything special you want has to be 'Special Ordered' .....read that....more money!
    NRA Life
    NAHC Life

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinebo View Post
    I'm sure when you do get to take it hunting, that it will put meat on the table. Its a fine looking rifle. I did a little work to my '92 in 45 Colt to smooth it up. My Marlin 1895 STBL needed attention like you stated. Pretty rough at first. Its smoother now, and hunting season is just starting here. So hopefully I'll get to drop the hammer on something.
    I was in the big city yesterday (Missoula) but only had time to stop by 1 gun shop. They didn't have any Rossis' and very few leverguns at all. Most of the levers they had were .22s. His excuse was that there are too many makes and models now. They stock what sells...anything special you want has to be 'Special Ordered' .....read that....more money!
    My Rossi 92 externally was excellent fit and finish however inside was rough. I got the Steve's Gunz DVD in his kit and later the safety plug however I use Gunslinger Springs instead of his suggestions. It is now glass smooth also. I'm working up a 290 gr .454 bullet based on a Ranch Dog mold made by Carolina Bullets. Ranch Dogs site says it works best with Lil'Gun at 25.5 gr. It is a real thumper to say the least. I haven't hunted in over 40 years but have a couple of son's that do. I'm looking forward starting it back up again, especially after I retire next year.
    Joe

makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    The Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70 is a good rifle with a very smooth action and is considerably lighter than a Marlin Guide Gun in the same caliber but I go with the Guide Gun for shooting heavy hand loads or the high powered +P Garrett & Buffalo Bore ammo.
    The Guide Gun is fine for the "trapdoor loads" and Remington Green Box & other brands off the shelf loaded to or under SAAMI pressure maximums.
    The Guide Gun is heavier for a reason.........that reason is STEEL and steel means strength to handle the pressure of +P loads.
    Life memberships: NRA & GOA

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joecil View Post
    My Rossi 92 externally was excellent fit and finish however inside was rough. I got the Steve's Gunz DVD in his kit and later the safety plug however I use Gunslinger Springs instead of his suggestions. It is now glass smooth also. I'm working up a 290 gr .454 bullet based on a Ranch Dog mold made by Carolina Bullets. Ranch Dogs site says it works best with Lil'Gun at 25.5 gr. It is a real thumper to say the least. I haven't hunted in over 40 years but have a couple of son's that do. I'm looking forward starting it back up again, especially after I retire next year.
    I own 3 pre-Braztech Amadeo Rossi 92 leverguns.
    They were kind of stiff & tight NIB so I developed a regimen for dealing with that.
    I strip the guns completely apart and thoroughly clean the metal parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner or alcohol.
    This is a good time to spot defective or malformed parts & assembly defects & fix or replace as required.
    I go over the parts and remove any rough spots & burrs with jewelers files, sharpening stones and polish them smooth with fine grained emery paper.
    I lubricate the parts with high quality non-gumming machine oil as I reassemble the gun.
    I work the action until it's smooth as melted butter.
    I can cycle the action of any of my 3 x 92s with my baby finger.
    The Rossi 92s are very accurate.

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pricedo View Post
    I own 3 pre-Braztech Amadeo Rossi 92 leverguns.
    They were kind of stiff & tight NIB so I developed a regimen for dealing with that.
    I strip the guns completely apart and thoroughly clean the metal parts with dechlorinated brake parts cleaner or alcohol.
    This is a good time to spot defective or malformed parts & assembly defects & fix or replace as required.
    I go over the parts and remove any rough spots & burrs with jewelers files, sharpening stones and polish them smooth with fine grained emery paper.
    I lubricate the parts with high quality non-gumming machine oil as I reassemble the gun.
    I work the action until it's smooth as melted butter.
    I can cycle the action of any of my 3 x 92s with my baby finger.
    The Rossi 92s are very accurate.
    I did that with my 92 also as well as applying Steve's Gunz tune tips with Gunslinger springs from Brownells. Mine is now also very smooth and totally trouble free over 2 years of steady use with all kinds of ammo. Mine is a Braztech by the way not the older Puma Rossi.
    Joe

makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by joecil View Post
    I did that with my 92 also as well as applying Steve's Gunz tune tips with Gunslinger springs from Brownells. Mine is now also very smooth and totally trouble free over 2 years of steady use with all kinds of ammo. Mine is a Braztech by the way not the older Puma Rossi.
    I hunt with my guns & don't Cowboy Action shoot so I don't take much metal off a gun other than burrs and maybe to shave the loading gate flat spring if the gate is really stiff.
    I've only had to weaken the loading gate spring with a coupla guns.
    I like the Pumas cause they are more true to the "Gospel according to John Moses Browning" design.
    Except for a few different (& better) springs you're getting a Winny 92 with a different name.
    Another improvement is that Rossi completely redesigned the magazine tube to handle the massive recoil of the 92/454 in 454 Casull when firing full power ammo.

Sponsored Links