Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Price check on a rossi rifle

I know litterally NOTHING about rossi firearms. I was at a pawn shop that I frequent this last week and one of the guys i deal with came out from the back and handed me a stainless octagon barrel 38/357 lever (Puma if I remember correctly) and they were asking 450.00 for it. I'm curious as to what a fair market price is for it, and if anything can be said for these. good or bad.. thanks

Gee
    People dont want "gun control" they want "CRIMINAL control"!

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Re: Price check on a rossi rifle

Prehaps someone with more knowledge than me on this subject should answer, but I was under the impression that Rossi only made combo and single shot rifles. The Puma is, if I remember correctly, imported by Legacy Sprots International. Their lever action rifles list for about $700 to $800. My local dealer had a new one (I beleive it was a .357) for just under $600 for sale when I stop in last Sunday.
    We have all been give inalienable rights. Expect no more but accept no less.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    5799 times

I think you can find new Rossi 92s for under 600 bucks from what I've read. I haven't priced 'em in a while. I bought my .357 back in the 80s and it set me back 197 bucks. Sure is a nice rifle, but I don't know if I'd wanna dump six bills on one. That's a little steep. I don't shoot the thing that much, but it's fun at the range. I reload, though, and the thing slings brass a half mile. I like to practice with it, though, off hand shooting, hunting holds over the shooting sticks. I cast .357 and .38 special bullets out of range scrap and I reload a lot cheaper for this caliber. .30 cal Noslers are getting way expensive to be plinking with my .308. That's one thing I love the Rossi for, the ability to shoot cast bullets and do the job. I killed one deer with it some years ago with a cast 158 grain Lee bullet from a gas check mold. I push that bullet to 1900 fps and get no leading. Sweet. I also load a 105 SWC in a light .38 special load to 900 fps which is a suitable substitute for .22 LR applications. It's quite accurate, minute of squirrel at 50 yards.

Yeah, they're fun guns and quite useful, I just don't know if they're worth what they cost anymore. At 200 bucks, I got one, but they've gone way up since then. I'm thinking maybe it's the popularity of CAS shooting. They're in demand now. They're WILDLY popular for cowboy shooting, so perhaps that's driven the pricing.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"---Ben Franklin

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    5799 times

Oh, BTW, if you get one, figure on another hundred plus to have a decent receiver sight installed. The rear sight hasn't improved, really SUX. I adapted a dove tailed .22 aperture sight to mine for nothing. I got lucky that it fit. My son-in-law has a .45 Colt Rossi he picked up has a Williams receiver sight fitted, very nice! He got it used and it already had the sight on it. Not sure what he gave for it.

The Marlin 94 is a nice alternative, but they're high, too. However, I very much prefer the looks, lines, and wood of the Rossi to the Marlin. Personal taste I guess, but I can sit for hours and admire the lines of that Rossi, the deep bluing, the oil rubbed walnut.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"---Ben Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

NativeTexan,

Any .357 rifle is almost impossible to find around here, used or otherwise. Sportsman's Warehouse here can't keep them on the shelf and Gander Mt only has one occassionally and they go for $499.00 there. The last gun show here, I saw them selling for about $50.00 less than new. Very popular with the cowboy shooters here. Great little pick-up or camp gun. Good for deer here too, under 100yds.
    If our lawmakers have our best interest in mind, why do they keep trying to take away our personal protection? Pappy used to say "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."
    A pair of NAA .22mag minis, Charter Arms .357 Bulldog Pug, Kel-Tec P3AT & PF9, Mossberg 500 12ga.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I just picked up a Rossi 92 in .357 for about $415 OTD. I spotted it on Gallery of Guns, called a local shop, and they ordered it.

Coulda saved the $15 in tax if I had ordered it from Bud's Guns and just had the local shop do the transfer (free transfers!).
    "Brother, you'd be amazed. It'll blast a hole in a man big enough to throw a dog through."
    --Hamilton Felix on the effectiveness of the .45

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    20539 times

I think $450 for a used gun from a pawn shop might be a bit high. $375 -$400 would be more like it. It depends to some degree on the gun market in your area, though. If that's an item that will sell quick, then that price may not be too far off.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

'I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.' Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1700 times

Walk in with 4 Bens in your pocket, lay them on the table, and say, "Take it or leave it." I almost guarantee he'll take it. I LOVE pawn shops for this very reason. You show the dough, and normally they let it go.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings."--Optimus Prime

ολὼν λαβέ (Molon labe), Come and get them!

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Hi! Having just paid $420.00 for a NEW Rossi .357 16 inch big loop carbine in blue, I can tell you that Pumas are the "high end like browning" lever actions, at $900.00 and some! Hope you decide , well.
    .38 Special ... the choice of calibers, (among all those Luger, Mauser, and Walther 9mm pistols), by Hermann Goering, so it's good enough for me!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Just for reference, here is a new Rossi levergun in 357 mag sold by Bud's gun shop.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/56487

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links