Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Taurus Thunderbolt

Member #
    Liked
    8 times

Taurus Thunderbolt

Well, I'm about to become the proud (I hope) new owner of a Taurus Thunderbolt in .45 Colt. I have read mixed reviews about them (Well you ask, why did you buy one?). It appears that there were some issues on the early models before they were discontinued. They have just started making them again and are available in .357/.38 Special and .45 Colt. I'm thinking that maybe Taurus feels they have the bugs worked out of them.

I plan to use it for Cowboy Action Shooting as my back-up rifle (I also have a 1873 Win.) and for fun and close range, 100yds or less, hunting.

I have read that people either love'em or have problems which are usually corrected by a visit to the repair center where it was fixed or replaced.

I suppose I will find out when I bring mine home at the end of the week. I have to admit, for the money it is a nice looking rifle.

More to follow.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17668 times
    Congrats on your incoming Taurus Thunderbolt!

I, for one, will enjoy seeing pics once you get it home.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    uh oh, you have brought sweet news to my ears! I can still get the T-Bolt in .357!!!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Yes you can. My local firearm dealer had one on the rack in .357 for $509 + tax. I didn't know they were available in .45 Colt till he told me. All my other cowboy stuff is .45 Colt so it was a no brainer. I just picked it up and I will try to post some pics in the next couple of days.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    If it is one of the new ones, I say buy it. I took mine out back and shot it a few times (not enough to really test it) and it is slicker'n boiled okra. If you work the action slowly there is some resistance because you are cocking the hammer back against the mainspring. When you simply work the action like any pump gun, it's really fast and easy. I don't think it has more than 2 inches of travel. It throws the empties straight up (it has two ejectors) about 12 - 15 inches.
    As far as fit and finish is concerned, the metal has nice even blue-black finish. The stock is dark stained walnut. Some folks don't like it but I do. Think of the color of one of your grandpappy's old shotgun stocks. I opine Taurus used that type of finish so the rifle would have that "old" look. Metal to wood fit is very nice for a $569 rifle. It is my opinion it is on par with some of Uberti's rifles sans the higher cost. The one thing I noticed however was some gas blowback from the breech. It wasn't enough to sting me or hurt or anything like that but it was unusual. It may be something common to these rifles. I need to shoot it quite a bit more to see if it is a consistent thing. The trigger is on the medium side as far as trigger pull is concerned but it is crisp with little to no creep. There is some wobble on the pump stock, but I think that is intrinsic to the particular design of this type of firearm.
    The pump stock handle has pressed checkering, but it is not smooth like some of the cheaper pressed checkering I've felt. This checkering actually helps maintain your grip as it is a little rough (for lack of a better word) feeling.
    Overall I am extremely pleased and I think Taurus worked out the kinks from the earlier models.
    One other thing I noticed is that the barrel has a small feed ramp at 6 o'clock that is highly polished. It is my opinion that this ramp increases feeding reliability. The last item is I read the earlier models had problems with light hammer strikes. Not so anymore. I checked my cases and all the primers were hit dead center and it was a good deep strike.
    Well aside from posting some pictures, that is my review for now. I have to say I was a little leary when I read some reviews of the older models, but I have to say I am very pleased with my choice.
    Next will be a range report.
    Last edited by Joker18; 05-05-2012 at 04:57 AM.
    RevolverFan likes this.
    "I'm the dude playin' a dude disguised as another dude!"

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker18 View Post
    If it is one of the new ones, I say buy it. I took mine out back and shot it a few times (not enough to really test it) and it is slicker'n boiled okra. If you work the action slowly there is some resistance because you are cocking the hammer back against the mainspring. When you simply work the action like any pump gun, it's really fast and easy. I don't think it has more than 2 inches of travel. It throws the empties straight up (it has two ejectors) about 12 - 15 inches.
    As far as fit and finish is concerned, the metal has nice even blue-black finish. The stock is dark stained walnut. Some folks don't like it but I do. Think of the color of one of your grandpappy's old shotgun stocks. I opine Taurus used that type of finish so the rifle would have that "old" look. Metal to wood fit is very nice for a $569 rifle. It is my opinion it is on par with some of Uberti's rifles sans the higher cost. The one thing I noticed however was some gas blowback from the breech. It wasn't enough to sting me or hurt or anything like that but it was unusual. It may be something common to these rifles. I need to shoot it quite a bit more to see if it is a consistent thing. The trigger is on the medium side as far as trigger pull is concerned but it is crisp with little to no creep. There is some wobble on the pump stock, but I think that is intrinsic to the particular design of this type of firearm.
    The pump stock handle has pressed checkering, but it is not smooth like some of the cheaper pressed checkering I've felt. This checkering actually helps maintain your grip as it is a little rough (for lack of a better word) feeling.
    Overall I am extremely pleased and I think Taurus worked out the kinks from the earlier models.
    One other thing I noticed is that the barrel has a small feed ramp at 6 o'clock that is highly polished. It is my opinion that this ramp increases feeding reliability. The last item is I read the earlier models had problems with light hammer strikes. Not so anymore. I checked my cases and all the primers were hit dead center and it was a good deep strike.
    Well aside from posting some pictures, that is my review for now. I have to say I was a little leary when I read some reviews of the older models, but I have to say I am very pleased with my choice.
    Next will be a range report.
    Thanks for the initial report! I will be interested in hearing the followup.......
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    19703 times
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Ike
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have owned a Thunderbolt in .45 Colt for about 4 Years. I have put a lot of reloads through it and found that mine does not like light loads. I also get some gas blowback from the breech if the loads are light. I have measured the cases after firing and found that the light loads do not expand the cases enough to stop the gas blow back while a standard load stops the issue.
    Have fun with your Taurus. They are a fun gun to shoot and handle.
    I did make 1 modification to mine. I changed to a Marbles Buckhorn rear and Marbles White dot front sight. They are much easier to see than the originals.
    Sekol likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    5333 times
    Ike. Nice report and welcome to the forum.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links