Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Questions about my new Rossi M92

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Questions about my new Rossi M92

I picked up my new Rossi M92 in .45 Colt and have to say I love the rifle. I keep wondering if the wood is Brazilain Imbuia wood which is similar to walnut. From what I have read Imbuia is easy to carve, stain and its wood grain is beautiful. What I don't understand is why so many U.S gun dealers and owners look down at Rossi and it's products. My Rossi is much better made than the Winchester 94 I bought back in the early 90s.

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    It is beyond me partner. I also have the Rossi 92, case hardened/blued with 20" octagon barrel. I simply got the Steve's Gunz DVD and kit and safety removal replacement cap. Then went about following the the instructions on the DVD and turned it in to one super smooth rifle. Now I could of bought 3 or 4 Rossi's for the price of one Uberti Winchester Clone from 1860 to 1894 (depending on which one). I've put a few thousand rounds through mine mostly black powder cowboy loads too with out a problem.

I can't help though with the wood however someone did one a while back and posted the results. It looked really great too.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    From what I have seen on mine and read of others they are some type of walnut with their terrible worhtless acidic stain that causes rust where the metal contacts the wood maybe it is there own variation of walnut. That is why most will see rust under barrel and on mag tube where the forearm is. I used FROMBY's tung oil low gloss and it sealed it and should keep it from havin any more issues I wish that they had grades that you could choose from in these rifles so that you could buy one with better wood and finish

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Now you have me curious. I'm going to have takr mine down and check for rust. Haven't had it apart since Thanksgiving.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennisinsc View Post
    Now you have me curious. I'm going to have takr mine down and check for rust. Haven't had it apart since Thanksgiving.
    Do you have to pull the mag tube to get the forearm off?
    “That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.” Article 1, Section 26, The Alabama Constitution

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cmtmj2006 View Post
    I picked up my new Rossi M92 in .45 Colt and have to say I love the rifle. I keep wondering if the wood is Brazilain Imbuia wood which is similar to walnut. From what I have read Imbuia is easy to carve, stain and its wood grain is beautiful. What I don't understand is why so many U.S gun dealers and owners look down at Rossi and it's products. My Rossi is much better made than the Winchester 94 I bought back in the early 90s.
    It probably goes clear back to the old South American knock offs called "El Tigre" and the like, of the Winchester '92. Rossi's tend to have rougher actions and of course the wood isn't as good or well-finished. Of course, the upside is that you have been able to buy a Rossi when Winchester hasn't offered one, from time to time, and the price is much more reasonable. I've owned three. My current is a 24" octagon .44 Mag. It seems smoother than my previous 44 WCF carbine that I stupidly let go. I can't remember how smooth the .44 Mag. carbine I had several years back was, to compare it to. IMO, they are a good value.

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Ahh... another R92 owner! I have the Puma Scout Rifle in 44 Mag and love the little beast. The best advice I've found was in Steve's video on how to clean the gunk out of the rifle and then lubing up the action by cycling it about 100 times. The difference in my rifle after these two steps was night and day.

You need to remove the barrel and forearm band to remove the forearm. If your rifle has a sling swivel stud on the forearm stud on the forearm band, BE SURE you place a punch or screwdriver through the stud and back it out a couple of turns. This isn't a blind rivet attaching it like most other manufacturers use, it is thread on. If it remains tighten down you will tear up your forearm. Pay attention to the screw orientation as well. Which way they enter. You might need to remove the magazine end cap to remove the bands, it depends. It is always a good time to clean the tube and replace the magazine follower with one from Steve's.

Most of the Rossi finish can be removed with mineral spirits. The wood is then open for any type of finish you prefer and everyone I have seen is a handsome rifle after the work.

I too got tired of the trash talk about these leverguns on my favorite forums and started my own user group! I own two Rio Grande's as well; a 45-70 and a 38-55!
    Rocky and TrucksNCoffee like this.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Nice,

What scope are you using. Cabela's salesperson talked me out of buying a scope ($130, lower priced, to be clear) saying the .44 mag would very probably destroy the scope... I have the rail from Rossi, but now have backed off adding the scope...for now. Earlier posts sugggested I shoot .44 special which I plan to start doing....maybe this ammo would be easier on the scope? Your thoughts, suggestions ?

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    It is a NcStar 2.75X28. So far so good. It seems to be a Chinese copy of a Burris 2.75 X 28 except with a 30mm (larger) tube vs. the standard 1" of the Burris. I actually bought the same rifle in 45 Colt today and order another one of these scopes.

See this topic I wrote concerning scout scopes: Rossi-Rifleman.com: Scout Scopes

AEA
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I had an Ultradot Red Dot Sight on a Marlin 45-70 I just sold. It takes the recoil fine and is guaranteed for life. Approx $150.00 for the Ultra Dot 25. There is also a 1" model available.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links