Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ranch Dog

Thread: RD adds a couple more Rossi's!

Member #
    Liked
    798 times

RD adds a couple more Rossi's!

I received my Rio Grande 3030B back from JES Reboring and it is now a 38-55 Winchester. The target on the right is the first five shots with my 235-grain TLC379-235-RF bullet at 50-yards. I think it will work!

My 92 Scout Rifle chambered in 44 Mag arrived as well. I thought I was buying a Rossi 92 but it was actually Puma 92, of Amadeo Rossi linage and imported by LSI, a little better deal. It was new in the box and simply a beautiful light weight carbine. It is already setup with a 2X20 long eye relief scope and will be put in service next week against the feral hogs.

Rossi-Rifleman
    Wolf1477 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    I like it! Sweet brace of levers you've got there!
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4113 times
    Very nice. You are one lucky, Ranch Dog.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    So what do you think of the Rio Grande vs. a Marlin? Any positives or negatives one way or the other for it over the Marlin?
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Overall, they are quite similar. The fellows on MarlinOwners would not agree with me but as I guy that owns over 40 Marlin rifles and has spent a lifetime with them and owns a business dedicated to them, the are quite similar. The first thing that gets pointed out is the "wood" but both of my RGs are outstanding and I own some Marlins with some very crappy finishes. I've refinished several that did not stand the test of time. The "made in the USA" trump card is always a comparison but you need to get over that, Remington is will now use non-US parts from just like they do on their other guns.

My experience with my Taurus handguns has caused me to experience the Rossi rifles and I'm glad I did.

Rossi-Rifleman

Member #
    Liked
    11609 times
    Very nice, may have to look into one of those m'self. I just love the look and feel of a good lever action rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    1294 times
    I am trying my best to be in the Buy American crown these days, but if something is just clearly better then I would hope my one purchase from abroad isn't what starts the end of days...

So is the action on these just as Marlin Only Loads tough as what you publish? I really like the stainless RG and have thought for a while about getting one. The new Marlins seem to be getting too many bad reviews to just ignore. Have the chambers been up to spec on the RG? Really are there any negatives besides it just not being US made???
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Great thread!
    I started buying marlins over a year ago..........I own 3 now. I'm certainly no big gun guru but can certainly relate to the competition between these 2 levergun types........

I've sent those 3 marlins back to the factory 3 times and they were all new out of the box. One would not chamber at all. It went back twice. The first time they rebarrelled it for no reason. But finally made good on their warranty after plenty whining on my part. the other marlin had the magazine tube constantly falling off at the tip, and they also fixed that. the 3rd was the 45-70 guide gun and I'm happy with it as is after a little simple tuning. The rossi, however is much lighter so I may get one

I also have a rossi M92. I love it. Also a taurus tracker that works great but I had one that had a terrible cylinder in it that would only fire 4 of the 5 rounds............so I exchanged it for one that would work.

If you can't inspect these firearms before the buy, it seems a gamble. So I now got no loyalty either way. Clearly the manufacturer wants to distance me. I just want a gun that works, eh? That's all I'm asking. Fair is fair and the firearms market just aint' what it used to be. It is a mess all the way around.....survival of the fittest. Such is life

But we should be buying American. But we can't. I blame regulation and pure greed. In this market, you're better off with a small manufacturer or Ruger........

So much for patriotism. It's been a very disappointing lesson for me. You got to want a fine gun now, but it can happen with a bit of caution on the part of the buyer. But as already mentioned, one company is no less patriotic than another any more. It's all about corporate profits now, not pride in individual craftsmanship. If it says made by American craftsman then that must just be a sales gimmick since those craftsman remain anonymous in any communication with marlin..........and that's not good for anyone. It's no treat when you test that warranty. It's a huge inconvenience that says adios to your firearm for at least 3 months if you are lucky. If you are looking for an exchange on the warranty from marlin, dream on.............

I would dread testing the rossi warranty and hope I never have to

I won't buy mail order anymore unless I got an exchange guarantee up front. Just my 2 bits (for what it's worth)

This ain't no post war economy no mo......it's a global free for all now
    nine tenths of being wise is being wise in time

Member #
    Liked
    798 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximumbob54 View Post
    Really are there any negatives besides it just not being US made???
    With my limited experience, 3 purchases, I see nothing that would keep me from buying more!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    38-55 win. nice I like it looks like she's a shooter to

Links