Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Not one to Judge on face value, but could use some imput....

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10264 times

Not one to Judge on face value, but could use some imput....

I have read what I could find on the Circuit Judge, but I still find myself sitting on the fence with this rife/shotgun combination. I have come across a pretty good price on a NIB blued finish with a better than average looking patterned wood stock. I am more of a stainless steel person, but for the price difference...blue is pretty also.

I am familar with the Judge having owned a SS Judge 4" in the past and currently have the Raging Judge beast. I find that it is more of a novelty pistol...don't flame me for that comment, I know that the Judge has it's place and purpose, but that big sucker ain't no carry piece.

So back to the Circuit Judge. A revolver rife/shotgun is just weird enough to make you want it. However, it is just unusual enough to not know whether to buy it.
    As a rifle in 45lc there are better rounds that could be used for hunting, and that cost less to purchase, 45lc ammo has gotten very expensive. As a shotgun, the 410 round is a pretty light load. Yes, you could use it for rabbit, squirrel and dove it you get close enough, but as a personal protection round it has it limitations....not that I would like to get a load of its beads in my butt, however a short barrel 12 gauge is more of a PP shotgun.

I guess the situation is, yes once again I have found another firearm that I am giving strong thought as to buying. But, I am also having a difficult time trying to make sense of the purchase.

Am I making sense here or am I missing something.

FWIW: I have a few 12 gauge, SKS, 30-30, .223, .22lr, .22mag for long guns

Member #
    Liked
    1943 times
    I think your instinct (common sense) is holding you back. That may be good.
    What can one do with a hermaphrodite gun like that? What on earth "could" you do with it? If you are fascinated with the hand-held models like the Judge, and have money to use for fun...then go for it.
    But personally- I think all you will have is a $550 whatchamacallit.
    I have some better advice.....are you married or have a girlfriend???.....buy her a ring. I'll guarantee you will come out better on that move!

Member #
    Liked
    1901 times
    Sir, I am not going to try to talk you into or out of one. The 410 is usually thought of as a kids gun. In reality to hunt birds or small game you really need to be a very good wing shot, or running game shot for rabbits. You also need to be close even with tight choke guns. A good friend and my self have hunted rabbits with 410's for years. The Circuit Judge would be fine for the area we hunted in. Doves are out here and many places with the 5 shot cylinder and no way to plug it in a legal way here. Quail up close would be fine, long shots would be luck. Deer is do able, an older gentleman is hunting with one using hand loads of Keith swc and killed several this year shooting over a small green field from a shooting house. I have shot a couple of the Circuit Judges with both shot shells and 45's. The guns worked and shot great. I am interested in the 44 mag and 22 long rifle/22 mag guns. I have some 410 shotguns that do what I want and need in a 410. Have a Judge handgun that I bought to shoot snakes when mowing. The Circuit Judge in the 45/410 does not fill a want or need. Would be interested in it with a shorter cylinder that could handle heavy 45 colt loads.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10315 times
    Now if that big sucker was chambered for something a little more powerful like .444 Marlin or .45-70 that would be interesting....

Name:  1.1 USA.gif
Views: 188
Size:  14.3 KB
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10264 times
    Thank you gentlemen, I think that is what I needed or at the very least wanted to hear. It is kind of nifty and neat, but it is an itch I can go with out scratching.
    I have the chance to pick one up in the $400 neighborhood, but, Like an old friend told me many years ago "It ain't no bargain if you don't need it".

And I do have a Wife and Girlfriend (lucky for me they are the same person). However over the years we have both gotten tired of the gift giving of pretty bling things and seem to have grown an appreciation more for each other. Yeah, I know, kind of mushy, but true.

Member #
    Liked
    5514 times
    I feel with the new PDX shells and the versatility of the gun, personally, I would own one and probably will some day. However it sounds like you have already made up your mind as to why not to get it. It's all about personal choice and what you plan to use it for, doesn't warrent giving the gun a bad reputation just because you don't ever plan to shoot a rabbit with it. As with the Judge, call it a novelty if you wish, but I sure would not want to be on the other end of it loaded with PDX or .45 colt. I think what gives the Judge such an appeal is it's ability to be what you want it to be. Light loads for small animals or heavier loads for HOME or CAR defense.
    MilProGuy likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    20180 times
    In my camp wanting one is good enough reason to buy one.

What one does with it then is another story.

But the fate of "neat to own" guns is nothing new.

Everyone whose ever handled and fired a .30 caliber M1 carbine loves it, but what's really good for?

Not much good for hunting and many argue it's not much of a man stopper either.

But if new models weere being sold for $350, the line of buyers would be long and distinguished.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    777 times
    I just bought one. Haven't shot it yet., (will tonight or tomorrow) but it is amazingly light and quick to aim. If it didn't have the replaceable choke to tighten the pattern with shot, I doubt I would have purchased, or if the .44 magnum version was actually available, I'd have preferred one of them instead. What I REALLY wanted was a Ruger 10-44 / Deerslayer, but they quit making them many years ago.

It fills (I hope) a specific niche for me out at 'the gulch'. I needed something light, very fast to 'deploy', that I can be accurate with at slightly longer ranges than I can hit lately with a handgun, with my bad eyes and bad shoulder. All the other long guns are either too heavy to carry around casually, or not powerful enough to reliably do what I need it to do.

I could have gotten better, more accurate , yet light rifles, but bolt actions are too slow for follow up shots, and I don't like lever actions. The MechTech CCU, especially in .460 Rowland would have also done what I need, but I didn't want to have to dig up a decent frame for one, nor have to swap back and fourth with my 'duty' 1911. So while it is far from a perfect gun, it seems to be the only one easily acquired at this time that may fill my strange little niche.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10264 times
    See, there is the problem.....now all the later post make me think....well, maybe...go ahead...NO NO NO, use common sense don't buy it. Of course sometimes common sense is over rated. After all, it is only $400 and how can you put a price of fun...OH MAN!!!
    I feel more confused than Sponge Bob in a room of krabby patties.

Member #
    Liked
    777 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jonrjen View Post
    See, there is the problem.....now all the later post make me think....well, maybe...go ahead...
    Well, Wait until I do a range report on mine. I'll try to post a fairly detailed report by late Wednesday night. If it turns out that that it is much more gimmick than practical, you won't make a mistake.
    jonrjen likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links