Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Rossi Cricuit Judge testing

Ihave the Rossi Circuit Judge in blue, same as the judge magnum with a 3"chamber. I got it for xmas and I took it out shooting yesterday for the firsttime, wow was I impressed. The 45 colt shells where accurate and had verylittle kick. The 410 shells were a different story. Russian Silver Bear3Ēmagnum shells. They are a very powerful round, about twice that the kick of a45 colt 255gr cowboy load but, they expand in the 45 colt portion of thecylinder when fired and have a tendency to stick in the chambers or split. Ifired 10 rounds and all of them stuck and one split from the neck of the 45coltto about an inch down the case towards the rim. I suggest to only firingplastics, not any full case 410 shells. I reload my 357 and my 45 acp so Iímgoing to get a Chronograph and start getting serious with this. I havenít seenanybody do any kind of work ups on this new rifle and I think I will be thefirst to do so and actually print my findings. Iím going to load up some160-200gr tips and try to get 1500fps safely. I still have some of the 410shells leftover so I will shoot those first to see what the speed off of thoseare. Then I will use a combination of powders and tips to get the speeds that Iwant. Iím in the process of moving to El Paso next month so the data is goingto take some time, being my reloading equipment is in storage. Any suggestionsor donations are highly encouraged.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    For some reason when I posted my words on the post screen look run together, please dont think that Im some sort of idiot LOL. I dont know why this happened. It looked just fine when I was replying.
    A wise man once said that if you havnt learned somthing in a day, you never realy lived that day.

Rossi Circuit Judge
    Taurus PT145 pro
    Ruger SP101 357mag

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17632 times
    I think it is due to the font that was used in the initial post.

Anyway, congrats on your new Circuit Judge!

And thank you for your military service to our country.

Member #
    Liked
    1767 times
    I would not worry too much about that. I'm past 60 and use a smart phone instead of a lap top or regular computer most of the time. Still trying to figure out if the problems I have sending email, and doing post is 1. The old fart of average intelligence trying to use a smart phone, or. 2. I got a smart phone that only has average intelligence. Either way I hate the way it changes words, but I have taught it to cuss.
    Your Circuit Judge is a fun gun to play with. We shot a couple of them when they came out. The choke tube is left hand thread and can be a pain to get out when going from rifle to shotgun. Put some anti seize thread protector on the threads helps. It will shoot better shot patterns with the shot shell tube. Just do not leave it in with solid bullets. Was told a month or so ago that one was used to take deer. Do not doubt it from the way they shoot. Would not mind having the 22 combo with both cylinders, or a 44 mag. Have fun with your new toy, post your test, would like to see them.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Well after some data crunching I have found a powder that im going to end up as my main test bed. I got 2 pistol powders in storage that I will load up 5 rounds at a time with small steps up in the grains of powder untill I hit the max of my 45ACP load which is 16GR on both powders. I have been doing alot of thinking about trying to turn a pistol cartage into a rifle cartrage, 45colt with IMR 7828 behind it. Looking at the data that I can find about the powder it is for large caliber rifles with a slow burn time. That is what im looking for. Rifles in the larger calibers are trying to shoot flying ashtrays out the barrel at 2500-3500fps. Im trying to shoot the same thing but at a much lower velocity, 1200-1500fps. Needless to say my pressures will be up in the 20,000 or lower areas which im confidant the rifle can take. I dont want to grenade my new rifle. Im going to start off with 10gr of IMR 7828 behind a 160gr tip with just pistol primers and work my way up 5 rounds at a time. Im not trying to put all the pressure in just the cylinder, more the whole rifle, hence the slow burning powder and pistol primer. Any ideas are welcome.
    A wise man once said that if you havnt learned somthing in a day, you never realy lived that day.

Rossi Circuit Judge
    Taurus PT145 pro
    Ruger SP101 357mag

Links