Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Rear sight on Rossi R92

11K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MoKen 
#1 ·
What would any of ya suggest for a replacement rear sight for a half blind oldman on an R92?

#3 ·
Steve's Guns is a good place to start. As to choice it depends on what issues you have being a half-blind old man. Can't focus on front and rear sights at once? A peep is a viable solution. Just don't find the rear sight easy to use? Change for something a little more accomodating. When I bought my Legacy92 45LC I knew from the photos I would want different sights. The front is OK but not to my liking. I've never been a fan of the stamped steel rear leaf sights with a simple notch chopped out of them.

I swapped the front for a slick looking brass post .080 wide from skinnersights.com. The rear is a Williams WDOS with a square notch blade. The brass front needed a dab of black paint on the "bead" area to see it better. I like the Williams WDOS because you don't need a drift to adjust windage. Just loosen the set screw and slide it.

FYI - keep in mind the Rossi/Legacy rifles tend to have a slightly narrower dovetail than typical USA made rifles. Skinner can make your sight closer to fit if you let them know what it is for. They also make the peep aperture for Steve's Gunz' safety replacement peep sight.

Jeff

Reactions: Ranch Dog
#4 ·
Steve's Guns is a good place to start. As to choice it depends on what issues you have being a half-blind old man. Can't focus on front and rear sights at once? A peep is a viable solution. Just don't find the rear sight easy to use? Change for something a little more accomodating. When I bought my Legacy92 45LC I knew from the photos I would want different sights. The front is OK but not to my liking. I've never been a fan of the stamped steel rear leaf sights with a simple notch chopped out of them.

I swapped the front for a slick looking brass post .080 wide from skinnersights.com. The rear is a Williams WDOS with a square notch blade. The brass front needed a dab of black paint on the "bead" area to see it better. I like the Williams WDOS because you don't need a drift to adjust windage. Just loosen the set screw and slide it.

FYI - keep in mind the Rossi/Legacy rifles tend to have a slightly narrower dovetail than typical USA made rifles. Skinner can make your sight closer to fit if you let them know what it is for. They also make the peep aperture for Steve's Gunz' safety replacement peep sight.

Jeff
I think I'm gonna go for the Skinners. The rear will not go low enough at 75 yards. I don't like the cheap rear anyway so it was gonna go none the less. I may also get a tang sight for longer distance and have the Skinner for closer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.