Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Maybe all I really need is a good head slap, but words of wisdom couldn't hurt..

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  perado 
#1 ·
OK, it's bee about a year since the Rossi Ranch Hand hit the market, and were extreemly difficult to find. The the second wave of inventory came along and most were still going for MSRP. I can now pick one up local for around $440 OTD and I find myself sitting on the fence.
I mean lets face it, it is a novelty gun even though it is legally a pistol, it ain't. Can't call it a rife, heck it is too short. Does it really have a place it should fit into other than a novelty firearm.
It looks neat, could be fun....but for how long before the novelty wears off. I do have a few hundred .45LC ammo rounds, but then I do still have my Ruger Vaquero and Raging Judge that will eat the .45LC. I don't need it, but well............what to do, what to do?
Give me some direction, imput, head slap or something.

#2 ·
I'm with you I have handled one and loved it. I would get it in 38, 357 as thats what I have. They say they sell a lot of them at Academy but I just can't get my mind sold on what I would do with it that I can't do with my hand guns. It's one of those things I get a headache from just wanting to think about it. I hope I never walk in with enough money but I do have other guns that I have higher on the need list then one of those. Like a full size lever action, I don't have one and would love to own one in even 30.30. I grew up hunting with one and love the way they feel. They are one of the most natural pointing guns I have ever shot. Open sights all the way it just hits what I'm aiming at.

Reactions: jonrjen
#4 ·
I hear what you are saying, at least maybe I am not crazy. Or if I am, I now have company who understands. Not sure that is a good thing for either of us .....lol.

I do have a Marlin lever action that I haven't pulled out in a while, maybe I need to. Could just help cure the bug for wanting the Ranch Hand. I guess another part is that I have been on a bit of a buying spree as of late...all handguns. I try to stagger them out best I can, but there are a few in the pipeline waiting shipping. I try to buy guns that if ever needed would be easy to recycle into the market (Legally) at a price that would either be a break even or better return. I'm not sure the Ranch Hand fits that description and criteria. But then fun seldom does.

#7 ·
I didn't actually know that they were that hard to find?
I know of 3 gun shops in the immediate area that have them, saw 2 just this morning at the range.
Now I have no idea of what the price is as I have no desire to own one.
I can't see a real reason for the gun and can think of other weapons that i would rather have than that one, but hey if it calls to you then get it.

#9 ·
If your budget has room for a firearm for pure snicks and giggles? The various 'mare's leg' offerings fit the bill for impractical fun guns.

#10 ·
Give me some direction, imput, head slap or something.
I'll pass on giving you a head slap...but will offer my input.

If this is a gun you've really been thinking about for a while...and deep down inside you really, really want it and can afford it; I say go for it.

You probably won't "get your investment back" if you decide to part with it down the line; but that's the way it has been with me on every firearm I've ever sold.

#12 ·
Do you want it?
Do you need it? < This is not really a question.... ;)
Can you afford it?
Do you like it?
Do you reload that caliber?
Is it a caliber you enjoy?
Lets see.....A rifle that shoots pistol rounds....Can't imagine the accuracy and velocity out of that. I would wonder?
Any room in the safe?

If you answer yes to all these questions, Then you know your answer.

#13 · (Edited)
I am with you. I really like it and have since I first saw it but every time I look at it my mind keeps trying to find a niche for it to fill and I never find that niche.

If money were no object there would be a mares leg in the inventory already.

#15 ·
If it's affordable to you, buy it and have fun with it. When the thrill is gone, you can deal with that, if the thrill is ever gone that is!

#16 ·
I get guns I like period. If they serve a purpose other then fun then it is a bonus. It's always fun going to the range when you can take different types of guns. It also makes for great conversation while at the range with other shooters.

#17 ·
from a flintlock pistol I built from a kit, thru conventional firearms , up to and including an M-79 grenade launcher and an M-60 machine gun....... I do not recall a firearm that was not extreme fun for me to shoot - lol

#19 ·
Nope, haven't gotten it yet, Plan to go shooting tomorrow down at the ranch, figure I will take my 30/30 Marlin along and see if that cures my itch for wanting another lever gun.
So far in addition to what I have picked up as of late, I still have the following coming or in transit:

1. Taurus PT940 stainless .40s&w
2. Springfield Ultra Carry V10 stainless .45
3. Taurus PT938 stainless .380
4. Taurus PT58 stainless .380

Kind of having a bit of buyers remorse on the PT938 and PT58, but I committed to them and am a man of my word. There different for being a couple of .380 pistols or at least not the norm.

#21 ·
The Lord only knows that if I seen one and the price was right I would own it in a New York Minute as I usually can find enough cash to get it, but I would really prefer to have it in .38 or 357 caliber. Of course I need it like I need another hole in my head!!!!

#22 ·
Get it, you can never own to many, any cal too, they still shoot

#23 ·
OK, took the time to run down to the ranch and do a little one and one time with a few of my guns. Spent plenty of time with hand guns, and then some more dedicated time with a few long guns.
I still say everyone should have the following long guns in there collection.
1. Marlin 30/30
2. Ruger Mini 14 .223
3. SKS with a few 30 round clips
4. .22LR rifle of your choice
5. shotgun of your choice and gauge
By the time I was finished enjoying what I had taken down to shoot and reflected on whether I wanted to go forward with purchasing a Ranch Hand. I guess in the end the more pracitcal side of me came out and said "Pass on it". More novelity than function, take the money and put it towards a more practical investment in the metal market (metal gun).
Thanks for all the feedback, I am sure this will be one weapon that haunts me in the future of 'should I or shouldn't I", but at this time my gut says to pass. Don't try to over rule my gut, it is a pretty fair size gut.

#24 ·
Personally, I'm glad. I had a semi-auto "pistol"; a KelTec PLR-16. It's hard enough to shoot one of those accurately, but with a lever action "pistol", you have the same aiming issues, but they're compounded by having to lose any semblance of a sight picture to work the lever. At least with a lever rifle, the butt is supported by your shoulder while you lever it. YMMV. That said, of course, if you have a big enough safe and a full enough wallet, go for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.