Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Judge .44 magnum rifle...

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times

Judge .44 magnum rifle...

I keep waiting for a thread to pop up on the new Circuit Judge rifles. The .44 magnum one is the one I'm having the hardest time with. Everyone bashes the Ranch Hand as a WHY? type gun and these just seem like and even BIGGER WHY? type gun... The .44 maggie going off inches from my skull does not reek of good idea. I know they have that blast shield but even with that I would hate to see lead spit sideways and hit that blast shield and the sonic boom has got to be crazy. I like some different stuff and I guess that is supposed to be the major selling point on these. Someone help me out here. i had to ask the same thing on the new Ruger bolt action rifle in .357 and some guys made me change my view on them. Maybe the same thing can happen with these. But for the moment I'm just at a loss.
    Last edited by Maximumbob54; 08-28-2011 at 06:32 PM.
    It's a trick... Get an axe...

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times
    Anyone??? Bueller... Bueller...

Not even with a ten foot pole?

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    I think nobody wants to try because your tone doesn't suggest you're even willing to entertain it's value.

The chamber's aren't any further away from your face than any other long gun, and there can be some hefty blast out of the ejection port on the more powerful autos (like .308s and such). Especially for a lefty, I doubt it's any less comfortable.

As far as it's usefulness, I see lots of reasons to like these guns:

1) You basically have a semi-auto gun in a caliber capable of taking anything under 500lbs (if not more). The only way to match that would be to spend 2-3x as much on a .458 / .450 AR15, or one of the semi-auto .308s.

2) As mentioned above, for an effectively "semi-auto" long gun in a very potent chambering, it is vastly cheaper than anything else.

3) It is vastly quicker to reload than a lever-action, and not much more difficult to top off (not hard to pull spent casings out of the cylinder and replace them with live rounds during a lull in the action).

I still wish they'd make a Raging Judge version. The ability to go from a cylinder full of 5x000 buck loads for a very effective low-recoil HD solution, to a cylinder full of .454 loads to thump things at 200 yards, would make for a fantastically versatile weapon. Even if it could handle Ruger .45C loads, that would still make it usable to 200 yards with .45C loads.

Alternatively, the Range Hand is a rifle without a buttstock. But, unlikely AR pistols and the like, it is even more unwieldy because it's operation almost requires two points of support PLUS the third hand to operate. Working a lever gun without the butt supported against the shoulder is cumbersome, to say the least. So yeah, I actually think the Circuit Judges are very capable firearms and have their own advantages, while I see the Ranch Hand as, indeed, little more than a novelty.
    Last edited by Lindenwood; 09-12-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times
    My biggest concern with saying the .44 magnum going off just inches from your head is that barrel to cylinder gap. That’s a huge difference in my book when you lean your head down on the butt stock that is right behind the cylinder from holding out the gun with both arms extended. I do at least get what you are saying about it being something of a low cost semi auto. I don’t expect the lever gun version to last long though. And it isn’t as if I’m unwilling to give it a chance, it’s more of my shock value of that gap that can spew fire and spit lead from the side if it gets out of alignment. And I’m actually surprised with all the options they tried to throw on the plate that there isn’t a Raging Judge model. They did include a 28 gauge in the line up so maybe there is a Raging Judge version just waiting to be completed. If I’m not mistaken I think those both use the same cylinder just bored out different. I swear I never mean to come across like a troll on these things. Some stuff I just don’t get. I didn’t get the value of a bolt action chambered for .357 until a guy told me about why he wanted one. Then I could see the reasons it might be an interesting idea. This rifle being a fast shooting .44 magnum that is easy to download and fast to reload is really a decent point I had not thought of. I kind of bad mouthed the Henry rifles for having the same loading system as the .22 version until I realized they won’t be deforming of pushing loose bullets from smashing them against a loading gate or having to eject them every time you need to download. Now I think it’s a pretty neat idea…

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    No worries, and see there are a few unique and beneficial things about it .

If I hadn't heard so many good reviews about this gun, I would probably be a little worried also. But nobody has had anything negative come from the gap blast, so I figure it must be okay . But, it's still probably 8" away from the shooter's face, so not too terrible.

I agree that the lever-action version is not nearly as useful. You get the relatively slow rate of fire of a lever-action, but without the capacity, powder efficiency, or slightly higher accuracy :P . It still has the benefits faster reloading and flexibility with COALs, but still the "semi-auto" nature was one of the biggest appeals for me on the Circuit Judges.

But arg, if the .45LC could take even +P loads, I'd seriously look into them!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17591 times
    There's an old saying: "One man's trash...may be another man's treasure."

The Judge revolver was foo-fooed by many when it first came out...but now, I understand, it is Taurus' number one selling revolver.

Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    642 times
    I think they look cool and that's enough for me, but I seem to recall when I saw a judge range hand in person it had a blast shield around the cylinder gap. I think in 44 mag it would make an interesting hunting gun, but I think I would rather have one in 45LC/410 I think it would be abit more versatile.
    Your Freedom To Be You Includes My Freedom To Be Free From You - Andrew Wilkow

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by scrabtree6 View Post
    I think they look cool and that's enough for me, but I seem to recall when I saw a judge range hand in person it had a blast shield around the cylinder gap. I think in 44 mag it would make an interesting hunting gun, but I think I would rather have one in 45LC/410 I think it would be abit more versatile.
    all the ones Ive seen had the blast shield. I dont see how you can get good velocity out of the longer barrel with the cylinder gap, unless its very tight

Member #
    Liked
    68 times
    What do you mean? Same reason an 8" barrel gets higher velocity than a 4" one.

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times
    The way the blast shield looks it would seem like it redirects the blast right into your face...? At first I thought at least your hand is protected but I still keep going back to the thought that your face is reeeeeealy close to that general area. I'm sure they wouldn't just drop the thing into the market without testing, but still...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links