Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rossi M92 Puma Cheap Rear Sites, and Lawyer Safety

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    14125 times

Cool Rossi M92 Puma Cheap Rear Sites, and Lawyer Safety

I've been saying I was going to replace the B-B gun sights on my rifle for awhile now. So yesterday, I ordered some semi-buckhorn rear sites and a replacement plug for the lawyer safety on the bolt. The factory sites are just plain ugly in my opinion, and the little safety thingamajig has been a pain in the butt. It can be inadvertently moved to the safe position at the wrong time, if you know what I mean.

I ordered the parts from Steve's Gunz. These rifles are nice looking, with the exception of the rear sites and that safety. This should be an improvement. Once I get them installed, I'll post up pics. I'm gettin' excited!
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10722 times
    All right Smoke ! Sounds like some great mods for that rifle. I'd love to find one of these used somewhere.

Can't wait to see the pics !
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    I've been saying I was going to replace the B-B gun sights on my rifle for awhile now. So yesterday, I ordered some semi-buckhorn rear sites and a replacement plug for the lawyer safety on the bolt. The factory sites are just plain ugly in my opinion, and the little safety thingamajig has been a pain in the butt. It can be inadvertently moved to the safe position at the wrong time, if you know what I mean.

I ordered the parts from Steve's Gunz. These rifles are nice looking, with the exception of the rear sites and that safety. This should be an improvement. Once I get them installed, I'll post up pics. I'm gettin' excited!
    I also highly recommendment the metal magazine follower from Gunz also to replace the plastic one standard on the Rossi. I have modified mine using Steve's DVD and parts though I've not messed with the sights as of yet. His tune instructions on the DVD sure do smooth out the lever action also.
    Last edited by joecil; 07-21-2011 at 08:13 AM.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    14125 times
    The sites and safety are my only complaint right now. An aesthetic thing for me. Both are just butt ugly, even though they work perfectly. Your right about the follower. I'll likely replace that later. I have almost 1,000 rounds in this rifle, which has probably smoothed it down quite a bit. As much as I like it, I may check out the DVD also!

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    The sites and safety are my only complaint right now. An aesthetic thing for me. Both are just butt ugly, even though they work perfectly. Your right about the follower. I'll likely replace that later. I have almost 1,000 rounds in this rifle, which has probably smoothed it down quite a bit. As much as I like it, I may check out the DVD also!
    The DVD not only covers what he does but the basics of breaking down the Rossi 92 rifle. It also has some tips to make it easier to put back together as well. I agree it will eventually loosen up a bit on its own but in my case I was one month away from using it in a Cowboy action shoot with out enough time to really put enough down range for it. Oh and mine is in 45 Colt which I shoot black powder through in competition but it also handles the modern ammo just fine as well. I'm thinking now about picking up a second one for my wife.
    Joe

makes you a musician.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    14125 times

New Steve's Gunz Sight and Safety Plug Installed

Sites and safety plug installed! Both look great. I think I may be more impressed with the safety plug than the site, in that having that safety switch gone, makes such a clean sight plain between the eye and rear sight. Never noticed the thing sticking up so much until I got rid of it.
    Installation of both parts were about as difficult as changing out a set of grips.

I haven't had a chance to try out the sights yet, but I'm sure I'll like them. They're certainly an improvement in the appearance of the stock sights.

Before and after.
    Cell phone pics, so forgive my photography.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10722 times
    I like that Smoke ! You did a great job, and I like those sites.

I can't believe they stuck the safety there - no wonder you wanted to plug it. Looks great.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    790 times
    I have ordered the safety removal setup due to my last shooting meet. I don't know what I was doing but kept hitting it to safety which is really useless on this rifle.
    Joe

makes you a musician.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4098 times
    Looks like great upgrades for a great rifle.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I like the modifications you made.
    Where did you order your parts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links