Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry New rossi 92 and a problem

My wife got me a new Rossi 92 45 colt for fathers day and i opened it up today and proceeded to look it over and i saw a little rust around the back where the but stock attached to the receiver . I took the forearm and butstock off and there is rust and small pits on the magazine tube and on the receiver where the wood touch's the receiver also rust and small pits on the metal under where the butstock is attached . Needless to say i was a very disappointed with the rust especially considering the rest of the gun seem very well put together and well finished . Is this a common problem with Rossi rifles ?

My main question is what do you guys think i should do send it to Rossi for warranty service or return it to the gun shop where my wife and i got it and get them to return it to the distributor ? It is the only gun shop in town and the old guy that runs it is a cranky old coot i mean really cranky lol .So i am wondering if it would be better just to send it in to Rossi . Will Rossi even fix a problem like this ? With the wood on the gun the only rust you can see is around the rear tang and only if you look close . Or should i just not worry about it i don't think it will affect the function of the gun i just don't like having something my wife just paid $500 bucks for come in pre rusted

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    Quote Originally Posted by nlpro View Post
    My wife got me a new Rossi 92 45 colt for fathers day and i opened it up today and proceeded to look it over and i saw a little rust around the back where the but stock attached to the receiver . I took the forearm and butstock off and there is rust and small pits on the magazine tube and on the receiver where the wood touch's the receiver also rust and small pits on the metal under where the butstock is attached . Needless to say i was a very disappointed with the rust especially considering the rest of the gun seem very well put together and well finished . Is this a common problem with Rossi rifles ?

My main question is what do you guys think i should do send it to Rossi for warranty service or return it to the gun shop where my wife and i got it and get them to return it to the distributor ? It is the only gun shop in town and the old guy that runs it is a cranky old coot i mean really cranky lol .So i am wondering if it would be better just to send it in to Rossi . Will Rossi even fix a problem like this ? With the wood on the gun the only rust you can see is around the rear tang and only if you look close . Or should i just not worry about it i don't think it will affect the function of the gun i just don't like having something my wife just paid $500 bucks for come in pre rusted
    I have a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt, 20" octagon barrel, hard cased finish. Now my gun has been apart once since I got it and no rust scene any where. I use mine in cowboy action shooting with about 1/2 the group using Rossi also and I've never heard rust mentioned by any of them.

As to the second part about sending it to Rossi. I suggest you call their customer service and ask them about it. Now if the will fix it under warranty then have them send you a pickup order which they will do the first year from the date of purchase new.

I had to send mine back right out of the box due to it not feeding or ejecting properly. I got the rifle back with in 10 business days and it has been perfect ever since.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    11274 times
    I took the spring and plastic follow out of the tube on my rifle awhile back. I was shocked at what appeared to be rust on the spring (covered) and lining the entire tube. It wasn't rust and didn't feel like any kind of lube to me. It wiped right off the spring and interior of the tube. I still don't know what that stuff was. No issues with my gun yet.

If it were me, I think I'd go the route of the distributor, in spite of the old coot. Probably be faster and less hassle.
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    788 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    I took the spring and plastic follow out of the tube on my rifle awhile back. I was shocked at what appeared to be rust on the spring (covered) and lining the entire tube. It wasn't rust and didn't feel like any kind of lube to me. It wiped right off the spring and interior of the tube. I still don't know what that stuff was. No issues with my gun yet.

If it were me, I think I'd go the route of the distributor, in spite of the old coot. Probably be faster and less hassle.
    Mine came loaded with lube similar that my Taurus guns did. I've since replaced the plastic follower with a metal one.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Well after inspecting the rifle more the barrel bands are rusty and quite pitted on the inside where they contacts the barrel and the i did not notice it at first because i was only looking for rusty metal but the forend is cracked very bad inside where it contacts the barrel their is even a chunk of wood missing i don't think it would survive firing with out breaking . so i tried taking it back to the shop and the old coot did not see a problem with me paying $550 for a gun with rust on it and cracked wood .

So i called Rossi and talked to customer service a polite but not very friendly lady questioned me about the gun for 10 minutes and then said she is sending fed ex to pick up the rifle. So we will see how it goes from here i have been a happy Taurus and Rossi customer for along time and i have 6 Taurus hand guns and 3 other Rossi rifles this is the first bad one i have gotten .

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16577 times
    Good luck on the process!

Keep us posted on how it all works out for you.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    The fed ex guy just left with the rifle .The box they sent for the rifle was for a pistol lol but i had the box my cmp m1 garand came in so i packed it in that and taped it up and its on its way now .

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Good luck hope it comes back real nice.
    Don't take life so seriously no one gets out alive

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    4782 times
    It was probably sitting in a crate for a while. Not sure Rossi is responsible, more like a distributor or something. If they refinish it for you, that's above and beyond IMHO and well worth a kudus to them. Mine is 25 years old and very clean. The bluing on that gun is deep and lustrous. The wood is oil rubbed. I sometimes just sit around and admire the thing. It's a beautiful gun, but then, I have this thing for westerns and such.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!"---Ben Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    It was probably sitting in a crate for a while. Not sure Rossi is responsible, more like a distributor or something. If they refinish it for you, that's above and beyond IMHO and well worth a kudus to them. Mine is 25 years old and very clean. The bluing on that gun is deep and lustrous. The wood is oil rubbed. I sometimes just sit around and admire the thing. It's a beautiful gun, but then, I have this thing for westerns and such.
    Yea i would have preferred to get a replacement from the distributor but the ole coot at the only local shop didn't want to deal but i'm glad that Rossi was good on the phone and so far i'm happy with their service. Now he has lost my business and im a collector int he winter i buy about 1 gun a month the next closest town with gun shops is 95 miles away so i guess i will be going their . That is really sad that i would rather spend time and gas money driving nearly 100 miles to go someplace good and i will still be getting the guns cheaper sense the coot has upped his fees sense the other shop in town that sold guns closed a month ago .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links