Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rio Grande Lever Action/30-30-anyone own one?

Hi-

Saw one in stainless (nickle?) the other day at Academy @ about $450-looked pretty good!
    Josh
    "Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed."
    Jonathan Swift
    I will give up my arms when 'O' disarms the Secret Service!
    NRA/but not always happy with them.

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times

Re: Rio Grande Lever Action/30-30-anyone own one?

Quote Originally Posted by M1A1Gunner
    Hi-

Saw one in stainless (nickle?) the other day at Academy @ about $450-looked pretty good!
    A good friend picked one up a couple weeks ago. I have shot it and it runs very nicely. I have an old Winchester 94 to compare it too and I would say it compares very favorably. The action is just a smooth and it is just as accurate, my 94 trigger is a little better (That should get better with age) and I really like the Stainless.

The only thing I find better on my 94' is the sights and the fit and finish of the stock. Sights do not make a huge difference as I figure most will install a scope and a deer will not care about the fit & finish!

Guess there is one more thing I like about my 94'. $450 is a great deal on a new gun but I got my used 94' for $270 out the door with a 4X scope & mount. Guess a used Rio Grande would be the best!!

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by M1A1Gunner
    Hi-

The Walmart close to me sells the blue model for $354. Another Walmart a little father away sells it for $364. Dicks sporting goods (Leawood, KS) had the stainless model on sale a couple weeks ago for $399. Not sure when the sale ends.

Member #
    Liked
    12260 times

I saw them on Taurus web site last night, can't wait for gun show in a few weeks, hope I can handle one there, may be going home with me if the feel and price is right. Would love to get a stainless/nickle version.
    Shooting and Fishing! Life is Good!
    ><((((> ><((((> ><((((> Fish on! <)))>< <)))>< <)))><
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

My Rio Grande looks pretty. Fit of the wood is very good but there are a couple of problems. Be aware that With Reloads, there have been 40% FTF. At the same time, the trigger would fail to release the hammer. This last one was fixed by removal of the grip safety and making a part to tension the trigger spring. So as not to steal the OP's thread, I will start a new topic in Taurus/Rossi Rifles under Rio Grande.
    Bt the way, the trigger is crisp and when it goes off, it prints neither to the left or the right. Considering that I can see one and a half foresights, that's pretty good. In that respect, my 39A was way off. Its foresight had to be shifted a loong way to get the windage right. Makes me think Rossi made this barrel right.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I own a new Stainless RG from Academy at $419.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just picked a stainless steel one up last night. havent had time to shoot it but boy is she purdy

Member #
    Liked
    12260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skoalkat View Post
    Just picked a stainless steel one up last night. havent had time to shoot it but boy is she purdy
    Congrats on the new purchase. Please be sure to give a complete report after some range time. I was checking one out at the last gun show. Looked nice and felt good. Just can't find any reports from any one who owns one.
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, its about getting out there and Dancing in the Rain.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have mounted a scope on my Rio Grande and it shoots very well. I disassembled the gun and cleaned it up well. I also replaced the hammer spring with one from wolff and it works much better when operating the lever. Spring was listed for the Marlin 336. The Rio Grande is very close to it.

Member #
    Liked
    12260 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EPWrangler View Post
    I have mounted a scope on my Rio Grande and it shoots very well. I disassembled the gun and cleaned it up well. I also replaced the hammer spring with one from wolff and it works much better when operating the lever. Spring was listed for the Marlin 336. The Rio Grande is very close to it.
    How happy are you with the internals of the rifle? How many rounds have you fired so far? I saw a report that it did not like Monarch Ammo, have you had any Ammo issues? I am leaning toward purchasing one my self, I am just having trouble finding reviews on it.

Thanks for the info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links