Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Help me pick a caliber for lever action rifle

I'm not a big game hunter but really want a lever action rifle. I have handled a Rossi Rio Grande (30 30) and a Marlin 336 (30 30) both at Dicks. The Rossi was stainless and I like the looks better than the Marlin which was blue. I didn't get to play with them much the guy removed the locks and allowed me to briefly cycle the actions. The Marlin may have felt better but I'm not sure.

I am not a big game hunter or deer hunter. I own a couple SKS rifles and lots of Yugoslavian ammo. I also own a 10/22, a 12 gauge, a 20 gauge, a 357 revolver (4"), a couple 45s and a couple 9mm.

I would really like to get a Rossi or Marlin in 357 since I have the revolver and already reload 38 special rounds. I am also intrigued by the 45lc and the 44 magnum. If I buy a 45lc or a 44mag lever of course that will eventually lead to another revolver in the same caliber.

The 357 lever guns are impossible to find. The 44mag, 45lc and winchester 30 30 are readily available.

Given the guns that I already own, what should I get?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Help me pick a caliber for lever action rifle

I have eight marlins so I might be a bit biased.

What are you going to do with the rifle?

I have an 1894 in 41 mag that hunts with my Taurus 415 in 41 mag. A mega fun combo.
    You may fire when you are ready Gridley.

You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    9557 times

I have a Marlin 336 in 30-30. Great rifle and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Having said that, I sure would like a Chuck Connors special, a carbine in 45 Long Colt, with a loop on the lever.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17330 times

My first deer hunting rifle was a Marlin 30-30 lever action. It was a great rifle. Wish I still had it.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by thearborbarber
    I have eight marlins so I might be a bit biased.

What are you going to do with the rifle?

I have an 1894 in 41 mag that hunts with my Taurus 415 in 41 mag. A mega fun combo.
    Well if I get a pistol caliber it will get used a fair amount at my indoor range. If I get a 30 30 not so much because I can only shoot it at the outdoor range which is about 45 minutes away. I really the like the looks of the Rossi in stainless.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy
    My first deer hunting rifle was a Marlin 30-30 lever action. It was a great rifle. Wish I still had it.
    I can get a Marlin 336w at Walmart for $354. I reload so I would buy the 30 30 dies if I went this route.

Member #
    Liked
    20229 times

Where and what kind of shooting are you going to do?
    I have a Marlin in .45-70. It's a great Michigan gun. It will kill any Michigan game at any reasonable Michigan range. But it wouldn't be my first choice if I lived out west. Then I'd go for .444 or .450 Marlin. OTOH, if I wanted to try my hand at Cowboy shooting - .45 Colt.
    And everybody should have a .30-30, just because.
    Keeper of The Pledge

Elected Perpetual Dictator of the Universe by a landslide.

I have ridden a motorcycle faster than Mach 0.25.

Because a copy is returned for postfix ++ expressions, statements such as (c++)++; won't work as expected.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw
    Where and what kind of shooting are you going to do?
    I have a Marlin in .45-70. It's a great Michigan gun. It will kill any Michigan game at any reasonable Michigan range. But it wouldn't be my first choice if I lived out west. Then I'd go for .444 or .450 Marlin. OTOH, if I wanted to try my hand at Cowboy shooting - .45 Colt.
    And everybody should have a .30-30, just because.
    Well getting a 30 30 would quench my desire for a lever gun and I could pick up a 357 later when they are available again.

I guess I need to know opinions on whether the Marlin is better gun. In the 30 30 the Rossi is the Rio Grande model which is side ejecting.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    10907 times

Quote Originally Posted by hammick
    Well if I get a pistol caliber it will get used a fair amount at my indoor range.
    Which is why I just bought my Marlin in 44 magnum. Since you already own a .357 that makes sense to get that caliber for the ultimate power versus cost ratio. The cowboy shooters snap them up fast for the same reason. I have seen lever guns in 454 casull used on Gunbroker and was really tempted to go for it. Good luck with your next purchase and don't forget...we love pictures.

"The office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron." HL Mencken

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr
    Which is why I just bought my Marlin in 44 magnum. Since you already own a .357 that makes sense to get that caliber for the ultimate power versus cost ratio. The cowboy shooters snap them up fast for the same reason. I have seen lever guns in 454 casull used on Gunbroker and was really tempted to go for it. Good luck with your next purchase and don't forget...we love pictures.

The 357 is a no brainer but they are nowhere to be found.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links