Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rossi M92 45Colt accuracy?

Rossi Puma 45Colt with factory scout scope setup. Went to the range last weekend, less than ideal conditions, gusty crosswinds, but I wanted to sight in and try my Simmons 4x LER scout scope. I hadn't been able to really try out this rifle at distance yet.
    I had loaded 250g XTP over 25gr and 26gr H110.
    After zeroing the scope, set up at 100 yards and tried both loads. The 26gr of H110 seemed to give the best groups, but nothing spectacular. I could get 5 shot groups within a 5.5" Shoot-n-See, but not much smaller spread than that. I'm planning on using this for hunting and it shoots "Minute of Deer", but I was a bit disappointed. My Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag does better at 100 yards (~2" groups).
    I don't want to give up on the 45Colt for hunting, so do I live with the accuracy or do I considering bedding, etc? I've done bedding before, but was hoping I wouldn't have to get into it.

Suggestions?

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    22939 times

Re: Rossi M92 45Colt accuracy?

I'd suggest you experiment with different loads and perhaps bullets. You should be able to tune that 45LC into a very accurate round. My Model 92 is a .45LC and it will shoot 2 inch groups with factory ammo and iron sights out of a 16" barrel.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    1516 times

Quote Originally Posted by Dockem
    I don't want to give up on the 45Colt for hunting, so do I live with the accuracy or do I considering bedding, etc? I've done bedding before, but was hoping I wouldn't have to get into it.

Suggestions?
    Work with finding a bullet and load the rifle likes. I never heard of bedding a lever action.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    790 times

I have the 92 in 45 LC also but don't hunt with it. At the range (indoor) longest distance is 25 yards so no much help there. I use mine for cowboy action shooting so no scopes but find the standard sight pretty accurate at 50 to 100 yards at the meets. I do find in more accurate with standard modern ammo than the old lead cowboy/black powder loads though as they tend to drop a couple of inches more at 100 yards. Still a really fun gun to shoot and wouldn't hesitate to use on small game, coyotes or even deer if I hunted. I'm not sure if the 45LC can handle a Black Bear but a modern ammo it might but I sure don't want to find out.
    Joe

Owning a gun doesn’t make you any more an armed citizen than owning a guitar
    makes you a musician.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Dockem;

I have one with 24" barrel and I am hitting 12oz cans at 100yds with open sights. I am casting a 300gr rnfp (Lee mold), I am using AA-2400 and starline brass. I haven't hunted with it yet but I am planing on it this year. I would try a different powder and if that didn't work then I would try a bullet and weight.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I have the 24" octagon bbl,and so far my rifle likes a hotter load for best grouping. My bullets are 255 rnfp. My plinking load uses Unique with a standard primer,and the hotter load 2400 and a magnum primer. I replaced the front sight with a Hi-Viz green number and the rear with a ghost ring.
    NRA Life
    NAHC Life

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I tried a new load to day, I too a .458 340gr round nose flat point and sized it down to .452 and loaded it in front of 6.3grs of Trail Boss. With open sites (semi-buck horn) I was hitting 1.25" at 60 yards 5 shot group.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6931 times
    Try the 300 grain JHP Hornady XTP bullets for hot loads, very accurate, no leading to worry about.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What length barrel is your M92?

I have a Marlin 1894 with a 20" barrel and POI shifts considerably between mild and wild loads.

They say the shorter barrels have less "whip", and are more accurate due to this.

Jon

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    planeflyer21;

I have a 24" barrel. I agree that shorter barrel whip less but as long as the barrel harmonics cause the barrel to flex the same way and the barrel hits the loading tube and forward stock at the same point the same way the bullet will have the same POI. That is why most leaver actions wont shot as tight a group as a bolt action will. I am very, very happy with accuracy of my two leavers.

Matt

Links