Member #
    Liked
    102 times

Redid the Wood on my '92

I finally finished redoing the wood on my Rossi '92 lever in .45 Colt.
    Unfortunately I didn't get pix of the wood before I began, but you all know how it looked with that black goop Rossi puts on it at the factory.

My camera can't do the wood justice, it looks way better than it does in these pictures ... it's almost pretty!

Here's what I did.
    First I used "CitrusStrip" to remove the ugly black goop.
    It took three applications to get down to something resembling wood.
    I lightly sanded the wood hoping to get it somewhat lighter.
    I used 120 grit, followed by 240 grit and finished with 400 grit.
    I then liberally applied Clorox bleach with a sopping wet sponge, let it dry and then bleached it a second time after which I hit the wood one more time with the 400 grit sandpaper.

I applied a coat of Formby's Tung oil finish and let it cure for 5 days.
    I lightly sanded the finish with 200 grit sandpaper.
    I repeated the Tung oil application three more times allowing it to cure for 5 days each time before sanding with 400 grit on the second application, 600 grit on the third application and finally 800 grit on the fourth application.

I applied the final coat of Tung oil finish and let it cure for 30 days, then I used automotive rubbing compound followed by polishing compound and finally two coats of automotive paste wax.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If'n it ain't broke, then it don't need fixin'

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    9988 times

Re: Redid the Wood on my '92

Looking good! The bottom picture does more justice to the work as there is less shadow or it's lighter.

I've been poking around on the 'net to see if my Marlin has a stain on the surface or if the natural wood is just sealed with oil. Thinking of taking a very fine (800) sandpaper to it lightly to touch up some scuffs and then using a tung oil to re-finish. If there were a surface stain, I could screw it up and have to do the full strip that you went through.
    "The office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron." HL Mencken

Member #
    Liked
    2607 times

Re: Redid the Wood on my '92

When I refinished my Mossberg 85 20 ga. bolt action I sanded the entire old finish off ending up using pumice, before applying 5 or 6 coats of boiled linseed oil for a finish. It buffed out real nice and if I get a light scratch I can usually just take a dab of linseed oil and rub it in good until my thumb gets hot, and it is good as new!
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Links