Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Rossi single shot in .223

I went to a shop I rarely get to visit anymore and found a nice used Rossi single shot full sized rifle in .223. I like the fiber optic sights on it. It had a nice feel to it, good balance. The previous owner put a sling on it, and a slip on cartridge holder. They had it priced at $189. I convinced them to throw in a 100rd box of Fed. bulk ammo they had on the shelf and got it for $200, out the door. As we were doing paper work, they remembered that they had papers on the gun, so I got the owner's manual and the warranty card with it.
    Now, to my question. I've got 100 rds of Fed 55gr.FMJ to tide me over for awhile, but down the road, anyone use surplus or steel ammo in these? Any problems I should know about? How about other weights of bullets? How's it do with 45gr., or 62gr.?
    I like the simplicity and accuracy of most single shots. I'm looking forward to getting out with this one.
    The best things in life, are not things.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Rossi single shot in .223

i wouldn't use military surplus in it -as it builds up more pressure making the shells hard to extract

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I had it out to the range today. It is a light weight, easy to carry rifle. Sights are easy to use, and it's quick to the shoulder. Accuracy wasn't spectacular, but that could have been the ammo. I had Fed. 55gr. FMJ in a bulk box. I had about 6 duds out of what I've shot so far. There were good primer hits, but they never went off. Is that unusual for Fed.? It was about 25 degrees today, maybe they were afraid of the cold.
    I really need to try other ammo, and maybe a scope, before I feel better about this rifle.
    The best things in life, are not things.

Member #
    Liked
    64 times

I have found the 45gr to be more accurate.
    "O"

Sacrificing LIBERTY
    For SECURITY
    Is STUPIDITY

Links