Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Scope for my new M92 .357

I posted earlier about my new .357 that it is real stiff and FTEs every round (almost).

I am looking for a long eye relief scope to put on the rifle... I am working under the assumption that I will keep the gun and it least make one hunt with it. Anybody got any suggestions? I don't know much about the red dot scopes or holographic but if anybody could give me the low down and make a suggestion I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
    Life's tough... It's even tougher when you're STUPID! - John Wayne

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6877 times

Re: Scope for my new M92 .357

BLASPHEMY! But, if you have to ruin a nice rifle with a scope, you're probably looking at getting a smith to drill and tap the barrel. I'm not sure about mounts, but a good smith such as the one I just posted in your other thread.... http://www.stevesgunz.com/ ...would know. Give this guy an e-m. He's friendly and will get around to answering your query.

I'd go with a low power scout scope, well, if I wanted a scope on a 92. I have real hunting rifles with scopes, .257 Roberts, .308, and 7mm Rem Mag, so I don't need a scope on a light, handy saddle ring carbine. But, if I scoped it, I'd go with a 1.5x preferably scout scope. No electronics to let you down. I hate electronics, batteries, and such on firearms. KISS. But, that's simply MHO. I've adapted a ghost ring aperture sight on mine.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Yea, yea, I know...blasphemy. I have decided to go with a tang site and see how I can shoot with it. The problems is the eyes. I can't see! The gun came set up to install a tang so that's what I'll do first.

I am still curious about the holographic sites.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    6877 times

Yeah, my eyes are getting older and weren't that gun when young, but I can still see open sights, thank the lord. I would put a receiver sight on it rather than a tang sight just for the speed of acquisition. Are you planning to keep the opens and put the tang on?
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well, I guess I figured it out. I went and ordered a Marble Arms Improved peep sight. I am looking forward to getting it.

How does the receiver sight connect? Do you have experience with it? thanks

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'm 51 and my eyes have been going south for a few years now. I have installed peep sights on all my lever guns mainly receiver peeps an XS on my 94 Winchester, and Williams 5Ds on my Marlins, and on my Taurus .22LR lever I installed a Taurus tang peep, and my old eyes are very happy, and the guns look and shoot great. Great choice on going to a peep, I think you'll be happy. I also have peeps on my Taurus Braztech single shot .357 carbine, and on my 45/70 rebarreled SMLE. I grew up with a anti scope WWII vet dad (he shot expert with everything) so hard to break old habits though I do have a model 70 30-06 with scope.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    6877 times

On the 92, a receiver, and I think a tang sight, will need drilling and tapping. Any decent gunsmith can install them. I like the ghost ring peep, better for hunting. The peep is rather large and the sight does not have a large disk, just a thin metal ring to sight through which blurs a bit when you're aiming. There is no disk to cover up a running target, much quicker to acquire. the only reason to use one of those large peep disks is for target shooting. Practical hunting rifles need a ghost ring aperture.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M605 Poly Protector

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

thanks NT for the sound advice. I ordered the peep from Marbles and "they" say there is no drilling or tapping? It should be here on Saturday morning and if indeed there is no drilling or tapping, we will see how it works at the range. Having said that and thinking more about it, what you say makes sense.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    13708 times

There was probably another screw included with your rifle for use in mounting the tang sight. After my outing two weeks ago, I think I should look into something like this too!

I've used peep sights on other guns, and they do work well.
    Texas is neither southern or western. Texas is Texas!

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    4085 times

I have been thinking about putting a Tech-Sight peep sight on my ruger 10-22 and hearing you guys talk about them I believe I will do it!
    The Government is not the cure, it is the disease!

Links