Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Bought M92 big-d lever action rifle in .38/.357, your answers please?

Hi folks!

I bought a M92 big-d lever action Rossi, in .38/.357, and here's why, (with your answers welcome):

I bought this rifle, not for CAS, but for present target fun and reacquaintence with rifle dynamics, in possible prep for the "OMG" breakdown. I don't hunt anymore ... the twigs don't snap so loud, these days. I did want a rifle, so I set out to create my own 'pistol/rifle' combination, definitely unlike that EBR/black pistol combo with caliber variances. I grew up reading about revolver/rifle combo's, usually in the same caliber range. 3 years in Thailand, taught me much about revolvers, and too much about 'EBR's'.

IMHO, 'EBR's', for those reading this, are any of the current crop of (ahem) military ninja black semi-automatic rifles born from that spawn, the Colt M-16 Battle Rifle. the 'caliber variance' I mentioned is, i.e., .223 Remington rifle ammunition, and any of the semi-automatic pistol caliber cartridges. You cannot engineer one to shoot the other in the middle of the field, nor does anyone I've witnessed, possess that US Marine Creed - 'one bullet, one kill', when the video channels are full of folks in training centers wasting half a magazine on ONE target!

Now, back to the rifle. I bought it in .38/.357 to be shot in .38 Special, only. If you wish to use it in .357 Magnum, please do so! Not me. So, after careful reading and studying, I have concluded that expending .38 special ammo, only, through this rifle, will not damage the innards, being aware that the cartridge lengths are different, with the .38 being shorter. I have concluded that, for the optimum use of my combination, I will utilize the following ammo:

First match-up:
    1. WWB, Q4172, 130 gr. FMJ-FP.
    2. UMC/Rem 130 gr. FMJ-FP.
    3. Nyclad 125 grain, non-plus-p.

Second match-up:
    1. Georgia Arms 158 gr. Plated SWC.
    2. Georgia Arms 158 gr. LSWC, non-plus-p.

I choose non-plus-p ammunition, because my hands cannot abide with the extra recoil. My revolvers, for the information needed, are an S and W Model 15-3, and a Taurus Model 82. The Nyclad is supposed to be very good SD rounds, but a buck a catridge can do some damage to a fixed income. The WWB is the latest incarnation of what was, standard service ammo, during Vietnam. I don't think there are any late opponents dispatched by these rounds, that would say they are 'underpowered'. I will be shooting SWC's both in the rifle, and in ther revolvers. I have a few boxes of Ultramax's LSWC 158 grain loads, but they are better suited for outside range work, being so smoky. Yet, they do go where they are directed.

As long as I maintain the rifle, in a sensible manner, there should be no major difficulties shooting just .38 Special ammunition through it.

I leave this open now, for discussion.

thank you.
    .38 Special ... the choice of calibers, (among all those Luger, Mauser, and Walther 9mm pistols), by Hermann Goering, so it's good enough for me!

Member #
    Liked
    22 times

Re: Bought M92 big-d lever action rifle in .38/.357, your answers please?

I agree with THE 357/38 pistol/ rifle combo, but I would get 125 grain & maybe some even heavier ,just in case you ever need to really reach out and touch someone. that is if there's any way you could manage to shoot them ( maybe hogue stocks)
    Fill your hand you S.O.B. John wayne... true grit

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10458 times

About the hottest load around is the time tested Federal 125 grain SJHP round. Coming out of a 4 inch barrel, it gets about 1,450 feet per second. It's a hard hitting round, and about the best self defense round available in ANY caliber. I don't know what it would get out of a long barrel, but I'm thinking somewhere in the 1600 - 1700 fps neighborhood.

I'm sure Buffalo Bore also makes something pretty hot for 357 magnum.

I really like the idea of having a handgun and a rifle that shoot the same round. And this is a great round to do it with.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10458 times

I wouldn't worry too much about wear on the rifle - if it's in good shape, it should be able to handle about anything you put through it. I would experiment with a wide variety of different stuff and see what works best.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    11 times

To 'gunsgodanddogs' ... If I were in need of using .357 cartridges, which I was not, I would use a CorBon non-plus-p 200-grain flatnose HC load. Why mess around, right? In .38 special, I pick up a 'reported' 400 - 500 fps increase, so I use 159-grain LSWC round. Either way, plans are for a ramp sight to replace the rear notched sight, next year.
    .38 Special ... the choice of calibers, (among all those Luger, Mauser, and Walther 9mm pistols), by Hermann Goering, so it's good enough for me!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I set up 2 92s in 38/357 for similar reasons as your own. I highly recommend a stainless steel mag follower, gunslinger spring kit, and Steve Jones' DVD on tuning up Rossi 92s.

Nothing wrong with .38 spl either; I got a large pile of 148gr soupcan bullets that feed and fire real nice over HS-6 powder. I also cast 158gr lswc out of wheel weights and get great performance in 38, 38+p, 357.

Excellent choice!

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6877 times

I shoot a 165 grain cast (Lee mold) Keith style SWC over either 16.8 grains of Lil' Gun or 14.5 grains of 2400. I prefer the 2400 load if for either gun because Lil' Gun is has a rep (slower burn) for forcing cone erosion in revolvers. The slower Lil' Gun is what makes it perform in the longer gun at even lower pressures than the 2400, but it shoots well from a revolver. The 2400 load shoots 1800+ fps from my rifle, but the Lil' Gun breaks 1900 fps, is tailored for the rifle. I don't figure I need no stinkin' JHP and 125 grain bullets are good for rabbits, but I've killed several deer with the 165 grain SWC from both my Ruger Blackhawk and the rifle. If it'll take deer down as well as it does from 80 yards with a lung shot, hell, a zombie won't have a chance!

I have several .357 magnum handguns, but my 6.5" Blackhawk is my fave for hunting and being a single action, sorta matches up with the 92 well, though I don't give a nit for any sort of end of time scenarios and don't "plan" for such fantasies. If I did, I'd go with my 7mm Rem Mag and kill people from afar, more fun and challenging and I don't want 'em finding me. Evade and destroy seems like it's a better tactic than charging into a full platoon of zombies with AK blazing. Shooting from 500 yards seems safer than takin' 'em on with firepower at 50 yards. I mean, they're all going to be carrying AKs and, well, they won't be able to hit squat from 200 yards, so I'll be safe.

Hey, that's my end of the world fantasy, so I just won, right? YMMV It's your fantasy you must prepare for, not mine.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links