Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Rossi Single-shot .223 R223MB for $149

Just picked up a new Rossi/ Braztech Single-shot .223 (Model#R223MB) for $149 and change. Comes complete with Taurus patented locking system! It was right next to a .223 "Trail Boss" with a cheesy scope for a full $200 more at Gander Mtn.

Anyone know anything about these rifles? How is accuracy? Have not had time to mount and sight in my own scope. Seems like a good deal and I was looking for a simple varmint rifle.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    1061 times

Re: Rossi Single-shot .223 R223MB for $149

Have you checked the Rossi web-site? http://www.rossiusa.com/products/pro...category=RIFLE
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94 (2), M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I've kind of been thinking the same thing. If they shoot reasonably well, it would make a nice truck rifle for the occasional coyote. Let us know how it shoots, once you have a chance to wring it out.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

So far I am very happy with how this rifle shoots. I'd say I'm still in the break-in period with shooting and cleaning, shooting and cleaning. I'd say I've got around only 40-45 rounds through her so far. The groups were wild at first and as the rifle is breaking-in it's improving tremendously.

The only issue I've found is the "lazy" twist of this rifle (1-12") means you can only use the lighter range of ammo, say lighter than 55 grain. From searching around the net the best factory ammo for this firearm is the 45gr. JHP Winchester white box which I can't find anywhere (anybody have a source for this ammo?). The lighter ammo will mean less ability to fight wind or reach out long distances with the same power as heavier loads, I think it's got plenty of punch for the ranges I expect to be shooting. If your looking to use heavier grain ammo I would suggest the same model in a heavy barrel. The attached picture is the final 3 shot group from 50 yds with Remington 45 grain JHP from sandbag benchrest. The shot that went high is a different ammo. So in a nutshell it's performing better then I expected at this point as I think I can get my groups to tighten up and at greater distances.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    630 times

Glad to hear you're enjoying it as much as you are Rabid_Dog. Thanks for posting the target pic too. For $149 that's hard to beat.

I have mostly wolf .223 in 55 and 62 grain which I shoot in my Saiga but have bought some Federal 40 grain HP ammo for SD. I haven't tried it out of the Saiga yet but it sounds like it'd group nicely out of your 223MB since it favors lighter ammo.
    "You gotta be one of the good guys, son, 'cause there's way too many of the bad." - John Custer to his son Jesse.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I had the identical rifle and it shot very well with the lighter 223 ammo. I had a lot of trouble extracting the wolf ammo especialy.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I found the Wolf ammo to be absolute crap and will not place consistently on the target at all. I am just using it to warm up the barrel now until I run through the rest of this box.

Links