Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Crack in receiver Gallery Gun

Just got a Stainless Taurus 22LR Gallery Gun. There is a crack in the receiver on the left side at the rear of the locking recess for the bolt. It is not a surface crack. Is this a common occurrence with these? Bought it for my grandsons and would like to keep it. Taurus said send it back, but if I do, they will probably keep it. Don't know what they could/would offer as replacement.
    Baptist Pastor, Lover of God and Country, Chaplain TCSO

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Crack in receiver Gallery Gun

Here are some pics of the crack. I am not good with the camera, but I think you can clearly see the crack:

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Take it to a local gunsmith. He/she might be able to repair it for you.
    In a world of talkers, be a thinker and a doer.

Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together.

You know the other funny thing about duct tape? There are hundreds of uses, but it's not used for ducts. Go figure...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I am thinking that where this crack is located is not a big issue. It is nowhere near the chamber. Wish I could have gotten clearer pics, the crack is on the inside of the locking recess as well.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2307 times

Quote Originally Posted by weemsf
    Taurus said send it back, but if I do, they will probably keep it.
    They may keep it if the frame is beyond repair. To repair that frame, consult someone with a broad range of Welding Experience.

Quote Originally Posted by weemsf
    Don't know what they could/would offer as replacement.
    As it is no longer imported, they just might still have them back in Brazil, but you would have to ask them. I would ask them about their specific policies before any possible shipment.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Got bad news from my gunsmith. He is very concerned about the crack, particularly the location and the fact that I have not fired the gun since I got it. I guess it will have to go back to the place I bought it, not sure if I want to try Taurus. If they cannot repair it, what would be the next step? A credit toward another gun?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    2307 times

Call Taurus and see what they have to say.

Due to a Restructuring, Taurus Longarms are being handled by Rossi. They may also be able to help you.

http://www.rossiusa.com/

As your Rifle is no longer imported and maybe supported, I think you are going to wind up getting it welded your self, since you are attached to it. For this, you have to find someone who really knows what he's doing! Especially since it is Stainless.

But you will never know what your options are, unless you get on the Phone and talk to these people.
    "Easy is the path to wisdom for those not blinded by ego." - Yoda

For all of those killed by a 9mm: "Get up! You are not dead! You were shot with a useless cartridge!"

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Talked to them for a second time yesterday. Welding is not an option for me. Heat treating and all that would be involved would cost more than the gun is worth. There is always the rare chance that they will have one laying around or a replacement receiver.

Taurus said they will look it over and if it is beyond repair, give me some options which would likely include credit towards a weapon of my choice, not to include the PT1911 or the Judge line of revolvers. They do not offer them as replacements I was told. Very friendly at Taurus when I called. Rifle went out today and will arrive there by Friday. I will post the result here or the communications we have.

Member #
    Liked
    9 times

there are a number of rossi rifles that are available these days. and if its for your grand son then there are some match pair rifles he might be interested in. just know that if its not repairable you have some options for replacement. but looking at the crack and having some experience in this i can say that it does not look like something they will attempt repair on. it will probably be destroyed. and replaced.
    I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
    You can keep the "change".

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Got reply from Taurus that the rifle has arrived and has been logged in. I do not expect them to try to repair the rifle either. Liability issues what they are today and labor costs will probably prevent it being repaired. I'll look at the Rossi rifles and see what they offer. Bought a Henry Youth model for my 8 year old grandson. The Gallery Gun was for my 6 year old grandson. I want to steer clear of a semi auto until they learn better gun handling.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links