Like Tree20Likes
  • 5 Post By dabney
  • 2 Post By Reddrage
  • 2 Post By joecap1946
  • 5 Post By Skip D
  • 4 Post By Reddrage
  • 1 Post By Mikeed13
  • 1 Post By Scalpel

Thread: My first Taurus .38 Special Revolver, the Model 80!

Member #
    Liked
    233 times

My first Taurus .38 Special Revolver, the Model 80!

In previous years of my sixgun collecting times I , very foolishly, overlooked the Taurus Models. Falling in with that incorrect line of thinking that the Taurus was a cheap copy of the S&W Models. With the first purchase, on a whim, at a gunshow, I purchased my first Taurus (Aug. 2008. A pitted, beat-up looking Model 80 with a four-inch barrel. The wood factory service grips on it were in good condition with the exception of a hair-line crack on the right grip panel and nice looking silver bulls-head Taurus Medallions. I only give 130-dollars for, what I thought, was a clone of the Model 10. I was to come to the realization, pretty quickly, that I had made a big mistake in listening to the critics of the Taurus line for many years. For me, starting in 2008, I started studying the Taurus Models and playing catchup on lost years. I became a student of the history of the early Taurus Models from the 1970's and started collecting some of these 70's era models. These guns were dirt cheap and had features about them that only "high-dollar" revolvers had. But besides this, the guns shot good and most certainly were not clones of Smith & Wesson guns. It was fascinating studying the modifications on the Models 80 & 82 from the early years up to 1996 when the Model 80 was dropped and continuing with todays current Model 82. I'm just beginning to understand how important the 80 & 82 was to the 1970's Taurus Company. These two sixguns carried the Taurus Company in those years with large orders coming from entities that needed six-shot .38's for their particular interests. Large bid orders, I've been told, is the main artery of life for any firearms company and Taurus had these orders coming in from Defense Forces across the world. Law Enforcement Agencies, security guards, and private civilian purchase were the the biggest customers, needing a quality .38, at a reasonable price. The Models, 80 and 82, were "winners" for the Taurus Company during the early years here in America. I collect these fine guns today and the more I find out, through hands-on study, the more I like! The evolution, as stated earlier, is interesting but those early features, also mentioned earlier, is what captured me! I am so thankful for the Taurusarmed website as it is here that I have received some invaluable data that helped me to understand the Taurus history better. That first, beat-up looking vintage 1970's Model 80 got me started into the study and collecting of two fine .38 Special six-shooters, the kind I love! Thanks my friends and sorry for the length here.
    David

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1219 times
    Well done.........but..........

Lets see 'em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MilProGuy and Sekol like this.
    ​III

dem·a·gogue
    /ˈdeməˌgäg/
    Noun
    A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.

"Why Johnny Ringo....you look like someone just walked over your grave...."

USN 1987- 1995
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    128 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dabney View Post
    In previous years of my sixgun collecting times I , very foolishly, overlooked the Taurus Models. Falling in with that incorrect line of thinking that the Taurus was a cheap copy of the S&W Models. With the first purchase, on a whim, at a gunshow, I purchased my first Taurus (Aug. 2008. A pitted, beat-up looking Model 80 with a four-inch barrel. The wood factory service grips on it were in good condition with the exception of a hair-line crack on the right grip panel and nice looking silver bulls-head Taurus Medallions. I only give 130-dollars for, what I thought, was a clone of the Model 10. I was to come to the realization, pretty quickly, that I had made a big mistake in listening to the critics of the Taurus line for many years. For me, starting in 2008, I started studying the Taurus Models and playing catchup on lost years. I became a student of the history of the early Taurus Models from the 1970's and started collecting some of these 70's era models. These guns were dirt cheap and had features about them that only "high-dollar" revolvers had. But besides this, the guns shot good and most certainly were not clones of Smith & Wesson guns. It was fascinating studying the modifications on the Models 80 & 82 from the early years up to 1996 when the Model 80 was dropped and continuing with todays current Model 82. I'm just beginning to understand how important the 80 & 82 was to the 1970's Taurus Company. These two sixguns carried the Taurus Company in those years with large orders coming from entities that needed six-shot .38's for their particular interests. Large bid orders, I've been told, is the main artery of life for any firearms company and Taurus had these orders coming in from Defense Forces across the world. Law Enforcement Agencies, security guards, and private civilian purchase were the the biggest customers, needing a quality .38, at a reasonable price. The Models, 80 and 82, were "winners" for the Taurus Company during the early years here in America. I collect these fine guns today and the more I find out, through hands-on study, the more I like! The evolution, as stated earlier, is interesting but those early features, also mentioned earlier, is what captured me! I am so thankful for the Taurusarmed website as it is here that I have received some invaluable data that helped me to understand the Taurus history better. That first, beat-up looking vintage 1970's Model 80 got me started into the study and collecting of two fine .38 Special six-shooters, the kind I love! Thanks my friends and sorry for the length here.
    David
    Nice post David, I just purchase a Taurus 82. It was a Police revolver, as you mentioned a liitle worn, holster marks and scuffs. But I tell you the gun is sound. Not sure of the age of this .38, and it's not pretty to look at. I will use it for my CW and home defense. Thanks for sharing your post. Enjoy the forum.
    leejack and Sekol like this.

USS MARS AFS-1

Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    I agree the 80/82 are awesome weapons. I have a model 82, and over time it has migrated to my #1 primary carry. I carry it about 80% of the time. The other 20% is a S&W SD40. I love my model 82. It NEVER fails to go bang.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Skip D; 06-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    leejack, Stroker, Sekol and 2 others like this.
    Shoot straight, stay safe..
    Skip D

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1219 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Skip D View Post
    I agree the 80/82 are awesome weapons. I have a model 82, and over time it has migrated to my #1 primary carry. I carry it about 80% of the time. The other 25% is a S&W SD40. I love my model 82. It NEVER fails to go bang.

NICE gun! Love the grips!
    Skip D, Sekol, leejack and 1 others like this.
    ​III

dem·a·gogue
    /ˈdeməˌgäg/
    Noun
    A political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.

"Why Johnny Ringo....you look like someone just walked over your grave...."

USN 1987- 1995
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Mikeed

Quote Originally Posted by Reddrage View Post
    NICE gun! Love the grips!
    Very nice gun,I just purchased my first Taurus a blue 605
    leejack likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16092 times
    Welcome to the new comers!
    Leejack-TexasAviator 2016.... Setting Americans Free! ... I'm Leejack and I approve this message.

Sleep tight tonight, your United States Air Force is on duty! ............... 85 Rocks!

Remember The Alamo!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5989 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeed13 View Post
    Very nice gun,I just purchased my first Taurus a blue 605
    To Mike and the other newbies....

Welcome to the forum and the Taurus family from NJ !
    leejack likes this.

Taurus PT1911 SS .45 Beretta 92 FS type M9A1
    Taurus 66 SS 4" .357 Smith and Wesson M&P 9c
    Taurus Tracker 990 SS 6" .22 Mossberg 500 12 gauge
    The government can't make poor people richer, but it can make rich people poorer

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    I had 11 Taurus Revolvers in all. Two had to go back for repairs. One was my fault. Both were repaired no problem. Another One had a loos barrel. I put thread lock on it, no problem. All in all I like Taurus and still have Three of them. They all have very good triggers and are accurate shooters. My wife learned to shoot on the 627 and the 617. They were big for her to carry so she carries the 605. I think they are a good buy.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I had 11 Taurus Revolvers in all. Two had to go back for repairs. One was my fault. Both were repaired no problem. Another One had a loos barrel. I put thread lock on it, no problem. All in all I like Taurus and still have Three of them. They all have very good triggers and are accurate shooters. My wife learned to shoot on the 627 and the 617. They were big for her to carry so she carries the 605. I think they are a good buy.
    I had the 617 and regret getting rid of it. Haven't handled the 605 yet but am impressed with them- makes a good carry gun but could also be a good woods or hiking gun. Although the 2 inch barrel bleeds some velocity out of full house .357 rounds, it still leaves enough to up the power ante a tad over .38 spl if needed.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links