Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Large frame model 44 .44mag or Tracker .44

9K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  BruMatt 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a .44 to carry in the woods during hiking and hunting trips, but am tossed up between these two guns. I have read a lot about the tracker and it seems to be a good gun but also seems to be limited to what ammo you can shoot through it. I can not find a lot of info on the model 44 large frame. Any body have an opion on these two guns. will the model 44 handle hotter loads than the Tracker?

#2 ·
I don't know what you mean by "large frame model 44" but if you are talking bout Ruger Super Blackhawk then I got it. 44mags are 44mags and you don't want to use anything hotter than a factory load in either gun. The tracker might be a bit lighter than the Ruger but both are going to be heavy to carry.

#3 ·
I carried Ruger SBH in 7 1/2" and the silhouette model 10 1/2" and Smiff 29's, various lengths: all are long, heavy, awkward, slow to bring into action from any kind of holster, pack etc., due to their size and weight. I sold them off, stayed with my T/C 10" 44 Magnum until this year. Became interested in the 44 Tracker after buying and using my 41 Tracker. I like the 44 Tracker, it is not a favorite as my 41 is but it is a close second. It is manageable with full power loads and you are safe shooting anything that will fit in the cylinder. I hand load all my ammunition and I cast some heavy, long bullets and they are good as long as you tailor your load to the length of the chamber. My 44 Tracker is definitely a keeper; the Rugers and Smiffs weren't!!!!

Reactions: TheOldRedneck
#4 · (Edited)
I am looking at getting a .44 to carry in the woods during hiking and hunting trips, but am tossed up between these two guns. I have read a lot about the tracker and it seems to be a good gun but also seems to be limited to what ammo you can shoot through it. I can not find a lot of info on the model 44 large frame. Any body have an opion on these two guns. will the model 44 handle hotter loads than the Tracker?
Are you planning to hunt with the handgun; or, will it serve as just a backup to your rifle for critter defense? If it is a hunting handgun, then get a bigger frame Mdl 44 or 444 (aka Raging Bull®) with a 6½" or 8⅜" barrel. I went through the same debate in 07/2012. As I wanted my gun to be trail gun, and NOT a hunting handgun; I went with the TRACKER™.

With the larger, heavier Mdl 44 & 444 recoil was not an issue for me. The gun(s) were very heavy to carry however at 50+ ounces. The 34oz TRACKER™ OTOH makes for a GREAT trail gun. Unfortunately in my case, the recoil of the 44 Magum TRACKER™; exceeded my pain tolerance. Because of that I went with a 41 Magnum
TRACKER™ as my trail/critter defense gun.

Please understand that I AM NOT trying to change your mind about a 44 Magnum
TRACKER™; it's just that the 41 worked out better for my needs. Every one I've talked to that owns a 4" 44 Magnum TRACKER™ loves it! Thus, don't let my experience dissuade you from purchasing a 44 Magnum TRACKER™.

#5 ·
I am looking a Taurus model 44 .44 mag which is a bigger frame gun then the tracker both have 4" barrels. I will be using it as a back up critter gun I will not be hunting with it. Just didnt know if the model 44 being just a little bit bigger gun would be less comfortable to carry then the Tracker.

#6 ·
The biggest difference you'll noticed is the cylinder diameter, 6 shot vs. 5. Don't think you will go wrong with either one, just your preference on carrying a 5 shooter or 6 shooter. Comfortable carry will depend on the type of holster you pick.

And one nice feature with the .44 mag is the ability to use .44 specials if you don't want the punishing recoil.

#7 · (Edited)
I really like the size of the 4 inch Tracker "K" frame ....,If I went to a larger frame ..I also like the Taurus Model 44 and 444...I recently purchased a Rossi 2.5 inch barreled 44 Mag..I really like that gun....I also own a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44mag with a 4 5/8 inch barrel .....

1 ..When purchasing a trail gun..get something you will carry...often a person will purchase a gun that was intended to be a trail gun..and finds its to big or to heavy and it stays home
2.. Purchase a gun that is in the right caliber...if you hike in,fish or camp where they are Brown bears ..a .41 mag would be my minimum

In these parts where , you have Black Bears larger than normal..and seemingly unafraid of man.. One of my choices to tote is a 4 inch barreled 357 mag. loaded with 357mag 158 gr. GD's around berry season ..longer the hike the lighter the gun ..I really enjoy carrying the Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 Spl.. loaded with 240gr LSWC ..II sometimes carry my Ruger SBH stoked with 240gr. JSP ..now that I have a Rossi 44 Mag..it will be carried in the woods ..with a staggered load of 44 Spl. and 44mag...

For woods walking ,hiking where I'm more concerned with two legged predators (a dangerous job) I willl carry a Glock 36 or something similar

Actually a good semi in 45acp is another good choice for a woods companion...I like to carry my G36 and also my Ruger P97

My Security Six 357 mag 4 inch barrel ,I find this is a comfortable gun to shoot with fast follow up s ,even with stout 158gr Gold Dots
This gun will not win in beuty contests ..but its a keeper

This is my new to me Rossi 44mag...I've read where some people have had Quality control issues with theses guns ,,but so far mine is a peach ..I still have alot more range time to do with this gun ...so so far it has really surprised me

The Charter 44 Spl. weighs in at 21 ounces a pleasure to carry ..and with 240 gr bullets will hit with deadly authority ..I was setting near a game trail during hunting season ..I could here dogs ,wild dogs chasing a White Tail ...when I saw a Dog-yote coming trotting ion the game trail right toward me..I leaned my Marlin 30-30 against a tree and slipped my Bulldog out ..waited till the dog-yote got with in 20 or so feet and popped him 200gr LSWC loaded on the higher side..the Dog-yote flipped around and went totality limp..I waited a second or two and wnt to check out bullet performance ....entered front chest exited back of left haunch or hip area...Dog-Yote died from lead posioning and broke out with two bullet holes///it was large 85lb.s plus and thin for its size...

This is a pic of my Ruger P97 and my Ruger P95DC
I sometimes carry my P97 in the woods...it handles ,digests ,and shoots accurately 200gr LSWC one of my favorite 45acp bullets

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.