Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Model 85 used price?

I'm looking at getting a model 85, and I'm trying to figure out what would be considered a good price for a used one. I've been searching around, but most of the answers/threads I found were several years old. Has anyone sold/bought one recently? I'm going to the gun and pawn shop down the road to look at their selection again. If I should find a good one, what would be a good starting point for price negotiation (what % off of their price should I start at)? If there are any owners in the Clemson area, I'd love to meet up and pick your brain a little bit and get advice/meet other gun enthusiasts. I'm new to buying used, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    351 times
    With the availability of guns (or rather, the lack thereof), they are probably going for close to retail. On Saturday, I bought an 85 Ultra-Lite for $350, but it also came with a 50-round box of FMJ, 15 rounds of JHP, and soft generic IWB holster, and a pretty nice ankle holster. The extras probably adjusted the price down to about $300--and no annoying paperwork (eat that, Obama and Biden) and, of course, sales tax.

Member #
    Liked
    373 times
    Just another peaceful Saturday in the country

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    mtmorto

I'd look in the LGS & any gun shows near & kind of get a feel for what's being offered & at what pricel.
    Prices will vary considerably from place to place. Good luck on your search they are pretty nice guns.
    Often good deals can be had in the used market, but with the scare now who knows?
    "U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    My wife just purchased a used 85SS2UL but I swear it looks like it was never fired or even handled much for that matter. Barely a smudge on it. I'm sure she overpaid ($373 out the door, they had it marked $369 and she got it for $350 plus the $5 call plus tax) but since availability has been very poor for ANY decent .38 Special (her choice) in our area, we grabbed it before it disappeared.

Member #
    Liked
    221 times
    Today, I saw a used M85 at a single store big box LGS for sale today. It had a price tag of $319.99.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmorto View Post
    I'm looking at getting a model 85, and I'm trying to figure out what would be considered a good price for a used one. I've been searching around, but most of the answers/threads I found were several years old. Has anyone sold/bought one recently? I'm going to the gun and pawn shop down the road to look at their selection again. If I should find a good one, what would be a good starting point for price negotiation (what % off of their price should I start at)? If there are any owners in the Clemson area, I'd love to meet up and pick your brain a little bit and get advice/meet other gun enthusiasts. I'm new to buying used, so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    I normally don't pay much attention to Taurus revolvers, nothing against them, just I'm a Smith & Wesson guy, but it seems they're generally in the 300-350.00 range at my favorite shop. I had an 85CH back in the day, that I paid about $175.00 for but that was a long time ago.

How much to ask off...at my favorite store, I used to figure 10% right off the top and it was a done deal. That would depend on how long it had been around too. If it was something they'd just gotten in, and it was something really nice, they might hold firm for a while. Makes sense. They just got it, they're in no big hurry to sell it at that point. Give it a few weeks, and they might be willing to drop more than 10% to move it off the rack. These days, what they get seems to jump off the rack sooner rather than later. It always comes down to how bad do you want it, are you willing to risk losing it, and what are you willing to pay. It always does.

Make an offer. What's the worst they can say? No. That costs you nothing. BUT if they say "Yes" you have to be ready right then and there to pay it.
    Please refrain from quoting scriptures into your signatures, signatures, and avatars, or steering a topic into a religious debate. link to Taurus Armed Site Guidelines

Links