Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 905 with a 3" extended barrel?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

905 with a 3" extended barrel?

Howdy, I've got a question for you Taurus experts out there. I picked up a new revolver yesterday, and I'm wondering exactly what I have. It's a 905 stainless 5-shot 9mm. OK so far, but it has about a 1" extension that is part of the frame, making the barrel 3". It is rifled all the way to the end, so I recon it's supposed to be there. I can't find a description or picture of a similar revolver on the Taurus website, or anywhere for that matter. Can any of you tell me what I've got? I'll take some pictures and post tonight. ABQBIll

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQBill View Post
    Howdy, I've got a question for you Taurus experts out there. I picked up a new revolver yesterday, and I'm wondering exactly what I have. It's a 905 stainless 5-shot 9mm. OK so far, but it has about a 1" extension that is part of the frame, making the barrel 3". It is rifled all the way to the end, so I recon it's supposed to be there. I can't find a description or picture of a similar revolver on the Taurus website, or anywhere for that matter. Can any of you tell me what I've got? I'll take some pictures and post tonight. ABQBIll
    I assume it is a used Revolver? If it were new you could read the manual that came with it. I am curious..... anxious to see the pics and more details.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

905 with a 3" barrel

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    I assume it is a used Revolver? If it were new you could read the manual that came with it. I am curious..... anxious to see the pics and more details.
    Yup, I know about RTFM; didn't get one with it. After a closer look, it is still strange beast. The box says it is a "M905 3" SS M". The extension is definitely a integral part of the barrel assembly and is indeed 3". The groove towards the muzzle is still a mystery. It appears to have been made during manufacturing since the finish inside the groove is the same as the rest of the gun. I suppose I could have the extension cut down and crowned if I can't find a comfortable carry holster for this fugly little revolver. I'm posting some pictures and welcome any comments.

Name:  905 Box.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  79.2 KB Name:  905 Left.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  117.9 KB Name:  905 Right.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  108.7 KB Name:  905 Front.JPG
Views: 314
Size:  88.6 KB Name:  905 Barrel Groove.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  87.4 KB
    chicharrones and cooper like this.

ice
    Member #
    Liked
    1122 times
    Wow, that looks strange! I'm interested to see if anybody here has any answers for you. Was looking at the 905 a while back, thinking about purchasing, but never saw any that looked like this!

Member #
    Liked
    6012 times
    If it were mine, I would do a cut and recrown.
    "When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty." - Thomas Jefferson

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it…” - U.S. Declaration of Independence

I WILL NOT COMPLY

"Amendment II. A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free
    state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

http://csagov.org/

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Wow..... that is interesting. I wonder if that was to mount a specially made suppressor or the like. I think you need to contact Taurus and provide the SN and those other numbers on the box label and ask them. I am really curious... and bet others are as well. Keep us posted on what they say in a follow up to this post if you can....
    ABQBill likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Wow..... that is interesting. I wonder if that was to mount a specially made suppressor or the like. I think you need to contact Taurus and provide the SN and those other numbers on the box label and ask them. I am really curious... and bet others are as well. Keep us posted on what they say in a follow up to this post if you can....
    Mounting a suppressor on a revolver is as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

It looks like some kind of weighting system was made for it. The little notch on the end looks like some type of retaining pin that would hold something on.

James
    CB236 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3847 times
    I've only seen something like that on the internet once. This is all I can find on it anymore.

Taurus Mod 94 Factory Error | The Firearm Blog
    ABQBill likes this.

NRA Life Member - TSRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharrones View Post
    I've only seen something like that on the internet once. This is all I can find on it anymore.

Taurus Mod 94 Factory Error | The Firearm Blog
    Chicharrones link talks about Taurus USA importing guns from Brazil with 3" barrels due to import restrictions, then cutting them down to 2" prior to US sale. This is the most plausible explanation I've seen so far. I'll try to confirm with Taurus. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    19685 times
    That's such F***** up "Bureaucratic Logic" that it has to be true.
    TexasAviator and CB236 like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links