Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Attention Taurus 905 owners ! solving the clip problem

I recently purchased a Taurus 905 9mm 2' snub nose revolver new in the box. After one trip to the range, I was immediately smitten by the little piece. It shot accurately, reliably and was so enjoyable to shoot that I left the range with a "permagrin" on my face.  However, the revolver does have one shortcoming. The factory stellar clips are quite flimsy and loose.

After some internet research I found that most everyone else who commented about their 905 online also had the same complaints. For some this is a deal breaker for the gun because it was intended for concealed carry or backup. The idea of not having a reliable clip for reload was just not acceptable.

Many people wrote off the 905 and simply said they would sell it or trade it for a Smith & Wesson 940 or a Ruger SP101. Conversely, I see the gun as just too darn good to give up on without some effort to resolve the problem.

I have read a few posts that said that clips made for the S&W 940 and Ruger 5 shot models will fit the Taurus 905. So, I ordered a 10 pack from Midway. Here is what I found:
    The clips that I received from Midway (part #593950) are similar in appearance but are different. These will not work, as delivered, for two reasons:
    1.) They are thicker. The Taurus stellar clips are .019" thick. The Ranch Products clips are .036" thick.
    2.) The hub hole is smaller. The Taurus stellar clips hub opening is .436" in diameter and the Ranch clips hub opening is .405"

Reason number two is pretty simple to solve. In fact, I used a small file to open up the hub hole on the Ranch clips from Midway. It took about 3 minutes to get satisfactory results that anyone could do.

Reason number one is the biggest problem. Once the hub is opened up, the thicker clips can be loaded and put in the gun, but the cylinder can and most likely will bind when you close it. It is right on the border line of clearing but not quite. In fact, I would venture to say that in some units it may even function. However, I do not recommend using them as is because cartridge case deformation or variance between ammo brands could cause the cylinder to bind and freeze. Also as the gun heats up and the metals expand, the gun will likely lock up. This is worse than just an inconvenience because the additional stress put on the revolvers internal mechanisms by this binding will likely lead to accelerated wear and even damage to the gun.

There is a solution for the thickness issue. Most machine shops, including automotive machine shops, have what is called a magnetic table flat grinder. This grinder is capable cutting these thicker clips down to whatever thickness you want. The only question is how much the machine shop will charge. In my opinion most will want an hour’s labor, or roughly $75. However, most people will find spending this much objectionable.

So the first question is - is there any other manufacturer of these S&W and Ruger clips that may use a thinner material? If anyone knows or other makers or has clips that are thinner, please contribute to this thread. Finding a thinner product would be the best solution.

If we cannot find a better product, we will have to take our Ranch Products clips to a machine shop and have them ground down. And, if you are not discouraged yet, there is one more variable. The stellar clips that we are familiar with seem to be hardened. And, the Ranch Products Clips may not be. If that is the case, when we cut the Ranch Products clips down to .020” they may bend too easily to be reliable. Regardless, I will forge on with my project and let you know.

edited post for:

*****NEW DEVELOPEMENT*****

I just spoke with a guy a Ranch Products. He has agreed to make a few proto type clips for me to try. Anyone with a Taurus 905 who would be interested in buying a some of these Ranch Products clips, Please say so here in this thread and send me a private message. I will be posting this at the thehighroad.org and thefiringline.com so that I can reach as many people as possible in order to make it worth while for the people at Ranch Products.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times

Re: Solving the 905 clip problem

Robby where you at?

I believe Robby can offer you some insight.

Taurus PT1911 SS
    Taurus 24/7 .45 ACP OSS
    Taurus 24/7 .40 S&W OSS
    Taurus 24/7 9mm OSS
    Taurus 738 SS
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have also just sent an email to Ranch Products requesting a production run of thinner .020" clips. I will let everyone know their reply.

Member #
    Liked
    220 times

Welcome to the forum by the way.

There are lots of good guys here that will be able to help you with almost any question you have.

Taurus PT1911 SS
    Taurus 24/7 .45 ACP OSS
    Taurus 24/7 .40 S&W OSS
    Taurus 24/7 9mm OSS
    Taurus 738 SS
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thank you for the welcome Paul.
    I just spoke with a guy a Ranch Products. He has agreed to make a few proto type clips for me to try. Anyone with a Taurus 905 who would be interested in buying a some of these Ranch Products clips, Please say so here in this thread and send me a private message. I will be posting this at the thehighroad.org and thefiringline.com so that I can reach as many people as possible in order to make it worth while for the people at Ranch Products.

Member #
    Liked
    2262 times

Re: Attention Taurus 905 owners ! solving the clip problem

My cousin has a 905 and his solution to the thickness of the non-Taurus clips was simply to use his Dremel and shave off a bit. They now work fine with zero out of pocket cost to him.
    In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by NYPD
    My cousin has a 905 and his solution to the thickness of the non-Taurus clips was simply to use his Dremel and shave off a bit. They now work fine with zero out of pocket cost to him.
    Yep, that will solve the the hub hole diameter problem, but it does not solve the clip thickness problem. Next time you talk to him, have him measure the thickness of his clips. The batch I just purchased from Midway were .036" thick. The factory Stellar Clips measure .019" thick. I have heard from 2 people so far that their 905s will function with the S&W/Ruger clips, while other people say it locks their cylinder too. It could be gun tolerances, ammo differences or different clips makers.
    I am wondering if the S&W brand clips or the Ruger brand clips are thinner than the Ranch Products clips that I just purchased from Midway. If they are, that would be a great thing to know for us 905 owners.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have a surface grinder in my plastic injection molding business that I could grind some down for you. I would think they could be done for less then $2-3 ea. I'm in Walla Walla, WA Since they work with some peoples 905 and not others, do you think .005 off them would make them work and still be stronger then the .019 thick ones? rj

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

They are currently .036" they need to go to between .020" to .025". So, they will need to be cut down about .010" to .015" to get them where they need to be. There are numerous machine shops around here that can do it. However, since Ranch Products seems to be willing to make some for us, their finished product will probably end up being more cost effective than modifying the existing product.

I also think that the thickness is just part of the equation. The star design and the quality of the hardening is probably more of a factor. The Stellar clips are just too sloppy and flimsey. The holes are too big and the metal is too soft.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    943 times

Yeah, I would be interest too! I bought Ranch Full Moon Clip 9mm Luger, too, and while the cylinder will close, I too am not wanting to use them fearing lockup and jaming of the cylinder.

I wondered if these might work, if they were thin enough. Ruger Full Moon Clip 9mm Luger 5-Round, the center is open. MidwayUSA has them too!!
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links