Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 3 inch 38 special Model 85

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

3 inch 38 special Model 85

Hi
    Just purchased a 3 inch model 85, 38 special only. Stainless with a satin finish, bought it used for 190.00. I own 5 other Taurus guns, a 24/7 Pro 45 ACP, a PT 92 AFS 9mm, a 4 inch 22 revolver, a 4 inch 357 model 66, and a Rossi 38 special 2 inch. I am looking for information on the model 85. I believe it was made in 2008? It is in excellent condition and I plan on shooting it a lot. Any other owners out there who have insight and opinions on this particular model?
    Looking for good grips and the best hd loads for it.
    Thanks
    Some of it's magic, and some of it's tragic. WWJBD?

Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    I have always liked the 3" models. The extra 1/2 - 1 inch of barrrel length is insignificant in terms of concealment but allows a full length extracter rod. This becomes very important if you ever need to do a quick reload. As far as a carry load the FBI load (Remington 158 Lead Semi-wadcutter hollow point +P) has a very good track record and works quite well in SD situations. This is another advantage of the 3" barrel as you will get additional velocity from the +P that a true snub will not deliver.

If you intend to CC the revolver you might look at the grips offered directly from Taurus.
    "An armed society is a polite society", R. A. Heinlein.

FZ1
    Supporting Member
    Member #
    Liked
    333 times
    I have (3) model 85 with the 2'' barrel. Great guns, some of my favorite to shoot.

Go to this site...Taurus International Manufacturing Inc and scroll down to the bottom and click on "Find my model" will tell you what year it was made.

Got any pics?
    Guns only have two enemies: rust and politicians.

Member #
    Liked
    1519 times
    Ditto on looking at the Taurus grips. I have the snubby M85 and put the grip from Taurus with the pinky extension on it. They cost around $10 and make a difference in the way the revolver handles. However, the smaller grips would probably be easier concealed. Mine is on home defense duty when not at the range so I like the pinky extension.

Member #
    Liked
    5218 times
    For the 85 some of the best ammo for practice Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com has that.

For defense Remington or Winchester 158gr. LSWCHP,+P are the way to go. If that does not float the boat then Speer Gold Dot 135gr. Short barreled,+P ammo is next in line.

www.buffalobore.com has two standard pressure rounds that are great for defense as well. No +P pressures, but +P vleocities without the recoil and extra noise. Stay away from any of their hardcast ammo unless using it for outdoors away from urban areas.

Member #
    Liked
    12277 times
    I am looking for information on the model 85. I believe it was made in 2008?
    You can go to Taurus USA, click on "Find my model" at the bottom of the screen, and enter your serial number when the screen comes up. That will give you the model number and the date of manufacture.

And good choice on the 3" model 85. I'm sure it will serve you well.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    5218 times
    The 3 inch gives one that little extra muzzle velocity boost and a bit longer sighting plane over the 2 inch models. One can shoot to 25 yards or so with it. This can be a primary gun for CCW carry or for the field depending on conditions.

I've got a 85CH that is over 30 years old and it's still going strong. I use non-+P ammo in it anyway.

Buffalo Bore makes two good standard pressure rounds for defense.

Member #
    Liked
    1539 times
    I don't agree with the recommendation to shoot the +P ammo in your Model 85, especially if you are going to shoot it a lot.

At the distance a concealed carry weapon should be used at the standard .38 ammunition available will do a perfectly good job.

If you read the Taurus Catalog it is pointed out that certain calibers (of which your model 85 is one) are rated to accept +P ammunition but Taurus highly recommends against using it. It explains that excess wear and possible damage to your gun can occur with repeated use of +P ammunition.

Instead of thinking you can use more power in your gun to protect yourself practice with what you have so you can put the bullet where it will do the most damage.

Remember..... it's the indian, not the arrow!

Don

Member #
    Liked
    12277 times
    It explains that excess wear and possible damage to your gun can occur with repeated use of +P ammunition.
    It causes a lot of excess wear and damage to BG's too. I carry and shoot +P's in my PT145 a LOT. Does it cause more wear? Yup. No question about it - but not that much more wear. The other thing it does is to help make up for the loss of velocity you get with short barrels - at least that's what my chronograph keeps telling me. If it was me I'd practice mostly with .38 special, but I'd include some +P at the end of the session for familiarity sake. But I'd carry it with +P.
    FZ1 likes this.
    "The marksman aims primarily at himself"
    - Zen saying

Member #
    Liked
    1519 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    I don't agree with the recommendation to shoot the +P ammo in your Model 85, especially if you are going to shoot it a lot.

At the distance a concealed carry weapon should be used at the standard .38 ammunition available will do a perfectly good job.

If you read the Taurus Catalog it is pointed out that certain calibers (of which your model 85 is one) are rated to accept +P ammunition but Taurus highly recommends against using it. It explains that excess wear and possible damage to your gun can occur with repeated use of +P ammunition.

Instead of thinking you can use more power in your gun to protect yourself practice with what you have so you can put the bullet where it will do the most damage.

Remember..... it's the indian, not the arrow!

Don
    I have +P for when it is on HD duty, but shoot only a couple at a time for practice. Use mostly standard loads for practice and am not convinced that at close range a standard round wouldn't be as good as the +P. JMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links