Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Ultra Lite .38 special model 581

Thinking about trying a revolver. I have a taurus pt111 for my carry, (also a beretta tomcat), but wanted to dive into the world of revolvers.

I have not been into them much, staying with the semi auto's, but I like this revolver, and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with it....how is the recoil? I have only shot my nine, and the tom cat. I tried a 45, but it scared me too much. Maybe I was not ready, and should try again..
    Taurus Millenium Pro PT111
    Beretta Tomcat .32
    Taurus 1911 w/laser grips (that I gave my husband cause it scared me the first time I shot it) and now a Taurus PT100SS

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Re: Ultra Lite .38 special model 581

A few years back my (now ex) gf tried a M85UL. The recoil was a bit much for her. I have issues with the factory grips but it still wasn't pleasant for me.

I'd recommend a steel framed gun to start with but a M85/M850/M851 is a good choice. Actually, its what I picked up for my first snubbie. I've since upgraded to a M650 (which is in my pocket as I type this) but I still have that M85 in the safe. Last summer I got a female friend started shooting and she loves the thing (my M85). FYI, I use medium velocity loads in my M650 not full power.

However, the amount of weight one is willing to deal with for a pocket gun varies. I don't have any issues with the 24+ oz weight in a pants (or jacket) pocket. Others want something lighter.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

ya know, I was thinking, the ultra lite might have a wicked recoil cause the frame is so light.

I like the heavier pistols, but I agree on the weight issue for a carry. someone recommended a 357 but wow..that sounds a bit much, gonna have to shop around and see what fits my hand right. I dont wanna surf and buy that way..I have to touch....
    Beretta Tomcat .32
    Taurus 1911 w/laser grips (that I gave my husband cause it scared me the first time I shot it) and now a Taurus PT100SS

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    945 times

You know, unless you want the 357, if you can find one, the 905, 9mm gives you the same ammo usage, with the 85 size. I love mine. I think even more than my Rossi 461, 357 snubby.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

Just remember that a 357 magnum is a 38 special with a serious attitude adjustment (IE, the 357 is an enhanced and lengthened 3. With a 357 you have a wider range of power levels available, from light weight 38 wadcutters up to the hot Buffalo Bore 180gr Hard Casts (which I haven't shot yet but have in the ammo locker).

Also remember that you can easily change the grips to a different type that might fit your hands better.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

oh!!! now that is interesting....so do you think a .38 special would be better for someone like me who is a bit antsy on the recoil? just get one with a heavier frame?
    Beretta Tomcat .32

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    46 times

I'll base much of this on my female friend who started shooting last summer. First off, she isn't a small or delicate girl and she works freight frequently.

She hasn't had any problems with my M85 (which has a steel frame). The cheap ammo I've got now feels (recoil wise) similar to a +P load. The only thing I've changed is the grips. I've got small ones I use for carry but I also have larger ones (Pachmayr Compacs) for the option. Others here have liked the Hogue Monogrips (I have some but haven't gotten them mounted yet).

Yes, I would recommend getting a steel frame gun to start with. I'd recommend getting the steel framed gun is 357 vs 38 so you have the option of the more powerful loads in the future.

But this brings up a related question (that you may have talked about elsewhere here and I didn't see it). What was it about your PT1911 that scared you? I ask as I used to have a 1911 and everyone who tried it liked shooting it. This included my ex-gf who's small enough that we had issues finding a pistol with a small enough grip that she was comfortable with (ended up with a Kahr P9).

Steelheart

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10763 times

I think Robby is right on - a 357 snub is a bit heavier, and if you ever decide to step up in power, you can do so. The Rossi 461 is a great buy, and you get 6 shots instead of 5. Some say the double action pull is heavy, so I'd definitely dry fire it a few times before deciding on which one you want.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steelheart

But this brings up a related question (that you may have talked about elsewhere here and I didn't see it). What was it about your PT1911 that scared you? I ask as I used to have a 1911 and everyone who tried it liked shooting it. This included my ex-gf who's small enough that we had issues finding a pistol with a small enough grip that she was comfortable with (ended up with a Kahr P9).

Steelheart
    I am going to say it was the recoil. I was in no way ready for it,when it happened so it scared me. Now with a lot more shooting under my belt, and I know what to expect, I might like it. I just have to try it again
    Beretta Tomcat .32

Member #
    Liked
    351 times

If you are worried about a .38 recoil then you should test drive the .32 h&R mag. It was designed to give the same perfomace of a .38 but with significant reduction in felt recoil. Also the new federal 327 mag revolvers are out now and you can shoot 327, 32 h&R mag and 32 special in them which is great if you just want to plink and then stuff the hot stuff in for carry. But I recommend you try a .38 and a .32 before you buy so you won't be stuck with a gun you have to sell or never use.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links