Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JayRitz

Thread: What is my used Taurus .44 magnum worth?

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What is my used Taurus .44 magnum worth?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but if I were to sell my Taurus .44 magnum, 6.5" barrel, blue (model 2-440061), what could I reasonably get for it - selling it myself and/or going through a broker/used gun shop? It is in overall very good to excellent condition with only about 50-100 rounds going through it.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    I would think somewhere in the $400 range for starts, but to get a decent average price, look and see what your revolver is selling for on GunBroker. That's what my LGS does when he is looking for a price to give on used firearms.
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    I think somewhere around $50......I'll be glad to send you $75 All kidding aside, hope you get a good price for it. I sold a gun once, to a stranger, and drew up a form for both of us to sign and keep. If you can get a third party witness or notary, even better. The form had our names, license number, date, price, and serial numbers on the gun. Although it doesn't go to the gov or anything, it does give you a point of reference in case the gun ever comes up in a crime. Hope the sale goes well - $400 seems to be a descent price, especially if you aren't having any trouble with it/accuracy.
    RevolverFan likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    21840 times
    If you are going to sell it yourself the gun is worth somewhere between $275 and $350 depending on it's condition, $275 showing some signs of wear but 90% or better, $350 being used but otherwise like new. If you are looking to sell it to a gun shop you can expect to be offered about half that much or perhaps slightly more than half on a trade. This is based upon the current Blue Book of Gun Values for an M44 in blue steel.
    ​Venimus, vidimus, nos explodit.

There is nothing in life so bad or so awful that it cannot be made infinitely worse by a lawyer.

Member #
    Liked
    89 times
    In my neck of the woods you'd probably get around $375-$400. Do your best never to sell to a gun shop, they'll fleece you and never look back. If you're looking to sell yourself, there are firearms classifieds that allow you to post for free, and there is also the classifieds section on this site. Good luck with your sale!

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    9762 times
    A lot if the pricing will have to do with location (which you didin't give) if you are looking to sell it yourself. Price a like pistol over on Gunbroker or GunAmerica and see what people are asking. The do a search for completed auctions and see what the like revolvers actually sold for and you will have a good real line base number to expect and ask.
    Off hand I would say somewhere between $325 and $400, depending on how quick you want to sale it.

Member #
    Liked
    67 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSkiff View Post
    If you are going to sell it yourself the gun is worth somewhere between $275 and $350 depending on it's condition, $275 showing some signs of wear but 90% or better, $350 being used but otherwise like new. If you are looking to sell it to a gun shop you can expect to be offered about half that much or perhaps slightly more than half on a trade. This is based upon the current Blue Book of Gun Values for an M44 in blue steel.
    I agree with the thought on gun shops - I know they need to make a living, so they give very little for guns. I sold a Ruger a few years back. The gun store offered me $220 in cash, little more in trade. The same day I met a gun nut at a sporting goods store, struck up a conversation, and sold him my Ruger for $400. It was a little less than I wanted, but hey, a whole bunch more than I had been offered less than a couple hours previous.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the responses. I'm in Wisconsin. I took it to a Gander Mt. and they offered $290 with no trade. I called a local gun dealer and explained what I had and without seeing it they gave a ballpark figure of $300-350.

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRitz View Post
    I think somewhere around $50......I'll be glad to send you $75 All kidding aside, hope you get a good price for it. I sold a gun once, to a stranger, and drew up a form for both of us to sign and keep. If you can get a third party witness or notary, even better. The form had our names, license number, date, price, and serial numbers on the gun. Although it doesn't go to the gov or anything, it does give you a point of reference in case the gun ever comes up in a crime. Hope the sale goes well - $400 seems to be a descent price, especially if you aren't having any trouble with it/accuracy.
    What Jay said. If you are going to sell privately, make sure there is a solid paper trail. That is what I have always done with the few handguns I have sold privately, e.g., notary, etc.
    HE thinks, therefore I am! <><

Links