Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus M327

15K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  needsmostuff 
#1 ·
Here goes. Brought a used M327 home with me today. LGS also threw in a box and a half of several types of ammo, 32 long and
several types of 327 Fed Mag. I was doing a search on ammo for this revolver and ran across an item where an individual called
Taurus and was told not to fire 32H&R ammo in the Model 327. I think the item was from this forum. My question is, if the 32 long
is too weak, and the 327 Fed Mag is too strong, will the 32H&R mag be just right? I have not fired any 32H&R as yet. What are
the case dimensions for the 327 mag and the 32H&R? With the 327mag performance, I would think it would be just fine for
concealed carry. Is that an OK assumption? TIA

#2 ·
I was told by a rep not to shoot 32 S&W Long, only Federal .327 Magnum. I was told by another rep that it would void the warranty to shoot Federal .327 Magnum since the gun was not thoroughly tested for Magnum rated ammo even though I retorted by stating it says .327 Magnum on the barrel. After some friendly open ended questions it was obvious neither rep really new anything about the width diameter and powder rating as well as the ballistics of any of the rounds, they were just repeating their interpretation of an internal memo or protocol for the M327. I will continue to shoot S&W .32 long, H&R .32 Magnum and Federal .327 Magnum through mine when I receive it back. I will shoot the hotter loads first in the magnum and then the lighter shorter ammo last to keep the casings from sticking.

#3 ·
Let's take these in order.

You can fire any .32 S&W Long or .32 H&R ammo through them besides the .327 Federal magnum. All will work.

The only oh by the way is this. It's mandatory to scrub the rings marks out of each chamber in the cylinder after you shoot .32 H&R or .32 S&W Long ammo through it. The carbon build up if it goes on for long will cause problems latter. Rounds will not feed or go into chambers if the carbon and grime are built up enough. If the rounds are forced into the gun and then fired the pressure may be too high and cause a rupture that can or will be catastrophic.

Let the cylinder wet with solvent, in the chambers that is, and let sit for about 15 or so minutes. Then take a bronze brush and clean out the rings. You might have to scrub the cylinder chambers several times. You'll have to run the solvent patches and dry ones through to take out the grime that comes off.

I shoot .32H&R and .32S&W Longs mostly thorugh my two Taurus 327s, but give the cylinder chambers a good going over after each time out. It gets easier with practice.

.327 Federal ammo is very high pressured amm, but the gun can take it. Just that I do not want to beat the gun to death.

Like K frame S&W or Taurus .357 magnum revolvers, if light loads are shot through the gun mostly the gun will last longer.
The Ruger SP-101 is built tougher than the Taurus 327. The Ruger more than likely can take the high pressure rounds for the life of the gun with little or no ill effects. High pressure ammo will cause problems for any revolver down the road somewhere. Usually after many thousands of rounds go through it.

The Taurus 327 can take some abuse like the K framed ones. A lifetime of full powered 115gr. Gold Dots,ect., is going to cause some problems down the road.

I give my Taurus 327s a diet of these for practice and for defense.

Compare Products

Products > Handgun Ammunition > Compare

Printer Friendly

General Information:

Load No

Caliber

Bullet Weight
Grains

Bullet Style

Brand

Use

Compare

AE327A

327 Federal Magnum

Jacketed Soft Point

American Eagle®

Remove

PD327HS1 H

327 Federal Magnum

Hydra-Shok® JHP

Premium® Personal Defense®

Remove

AE327

327 Federal Magnum

Jacketed Soft Point

American Eagle®

Remove

Ballistics Comparisons:

Velocity in Feet per Second

Load No

Caliber

Muzzle

25 Y

50 Y

75 Y

100 Y

AE327A

327 Federal Magnum

PD327HS1 H

327 Federal Magnum

AE327

327 Federal Magnum

Compare Products

Products > Handgun Ammunition > Compare

Printer Friendly

General Information:

Load No

Caliber

Bullet Weight
Grains

Bullet Style

Brand

Use

Compare

AE327A

327 Federal Magnum

Jacketed Soft Point

American Eagle®

Remove

PD327HS1 H

327 Federal Magnum

Hydra-Shok® JHP

Premium® Personal Defense®

Remove

AE327

327 Federal Magnum

Jacketed Soft Point

American Eagle®

Remove

Ballistics Comparisons:

Velocity in Feet per Second

Energy in Foot Pounds

Load No

Caliber

Muzzle

25 Y

50 Y

75 Y

100 Y

AE327A

327 Federal Magnum

PD327HS1 H

327 Federal Magnum

AE327

327 Federal Magnum

The Hydra-shoks are used for self defense and the others are practice rounds. Pricey, but worth yet, most of my practice is done with the .32 H&R or .32 S&W Long rounds.

I do use mostly the 85gr. Eagle and 100gr.Eagle for practice. Only a couple of cylinders of them persession to keep proficient with them.

I shoot a cylinder of 115gr.Speer Gold Dots every other range session.

What I found out is that I do not need the 115gr Speer Gold Dots except for the larger .327 Rugers I have. Recoil being harsh and the foot lbs of energy and the penetration of the Federal ammo makes it a moot point with me.

There is also the Buffalo Bore +P ammo. Be advised that there is no SAAMI specs for +P in .32 H&R ammo. Here is the data on the BB ammo.

HEAVY 32 H&R MAG. +P

SKU: 36A/20

List Price:

$29.33

Our Price:

$26.66

Your Savings:

$2.67

Quantity:

Overview
Reviews
Tell a Friend

HEAVY 32 H&R MAG. +P Ammo - 100 gr. JHP (1300fps) - 20 Round Box

PRESS RELEASE FOR BUFFALO BORE 32 H&R MAGNUM+P AMMUNITION (Item 36A)

Due to customer request Buffalo Bore is producing some new 32 H&R Mag. +P loads. Item # 36A is a 100gr. JHP at some very potent velocities. Below are real world velocities shot from stock over-the-counter, revolvers.
1.1366 fps - USFA Sparrow Hawk 7.5 inch barrel
2.1340 fps - Ruger Black Hawk 5.5 inch barrel
3.1187 fps - Ruger SP101 3 inch barrel
4.1054 fps - Taurus Ultra Light 2 inch barrel

This ammunition is full powered 32 H&R mag. and is safe to use in all firearms chambered for 32 H&R mag. and 327 Federal Mag., EXCEPT the original H&R revolvers, that as of this date, (04-21-11) have long been out of production.

This ammunition performed flawlessly out of all the above test guns, except that we had to polish the tool marks out of the Taurus chambers to have smooth extraction of fired cases. None of the other test guns had extreme tool marks in the chambers.

This ammunition utilizes flash suppressed powders so as to not blind the shooter in low light situations.

Because of the increased velocity of this load over the standard 32 H&R loads, it is powerful enough to have human defense applications, but is mostly a small game (rabbits, armadillos, coyotes, etc.) and utility/plinking load.

That is going to put a very bad hurt on someone! Notice it was fired out of Taurus 327. Granted the round is not going at 1300fps out of a Taurus. You'll hace to drop a couple hundred feet per second to 250 per second off of that. The longest barrel in their gun test bed had a 1700fps out of the single action revolver. These for defense? Yes, in my book.

However if recoil is a major problem then the regular 85-94 gr. rounds from Federal in H&R magnum should be used.

Oh,yes. .327 magnum rounds are much higher pressured rounds than .357 magnum. Much. Less recoil, but when you touch one off you'll know it.

The regular H&R rounds are not a power house, but are up there with the 380ACP and some standard .38 Special rounds. The H&R magnum bullets are in the same weight class as the .380ACP.

I use the .32 calibers a fun,field teach new shooters, and for defense. I'm getting older and in my 50s. The lower velocity ammo is beginning to look good for many uses. For those who like the buck,noise, and kick the .327 federal has it all. I do not need that all the time and less of it means more shooting fun. It'll work for those who have a sensitivity to recoil. Better than a .32 ACP. Better than a .25 ACP or a .22lrf.

There is a a .32 S&W Long round put out by Magtech that is a hollowpoint. Graf & Sons

Magtech

.32 S&W Long

D/H

MAGTECH AMMO 32 S&W LONG 98gr SJHP 50/bx 20/cs

$23.59

$0.47
The H&R magnum rounds will work well for the recoil and noise sensitivity people as well.

It's where you hit them with more than what you hit them with.

#4 ·
Since the above was going too long I'll add this.

I also own the Ruger SP-101 6 shot,3inch barrel and the Ruger GP-100, 4inch barrel, 7 shot revolver. These compliment the Taurus 327.

#5 ·
I first started into the 327 world with a Charter Arms Target Patriot, since discontinued, I put 32 H&R magnums handloaded well beyond standards for the cartridge and full power 327's thru it for nearly 3 years and then came into a used Taurus 327B2. I shoot the same loads thru the Taurus, both guns are superb performers with my hand loads, not so much with factory ammunition.

#6 ·
On a note about the chambers sticking due to grime build up. I took a felt buff and trimmed it to fit in each chamber. Used a little mothers polish and out a little shine on the inside as well as the front and rear face or the cylinder. The smooth polished finish makes cleaning it a bit easier and the empties come right out without having to slam the ejector rod.

#7 · (Edited)
I shoot 327mag in my M327. I purchased it because it was different from the norm. It is easy to conceal/carry and packs a punch. In my thoughts it is not a target go to the range and shoot hundreds of rounds down the barrel. Though it is fun to shoot with the magnum rounds in it. It is nice that I will shoot .32 ammo to save some money should I choose. But, then I don't fire 44spl in my 44 magnum, .38spl in my .357 magnum or 45lc in my Raging Bull. I bought big to shoot big......I like the boom, the feel, the feedback, the impact, the fun factor!!

ON EDIT: I realized this is not the answer to the question you asked. However, you have received some great replies and information from some of the most knowlegeble members here on the forum.

Also, please forgive me for not starting off my reply without Saying Welcome to the T/A Forum, please hang around and join us often.

#8 ·
If you like the big boomers,even in .32, no problem. It's not stated that the lower powered ammo has to be used. Just that it can.

I agree that if only magnum rounds are fired through the magnum gun,fine. No smaller rings to have to scrub out. :)
Different things for different folks.

#9 ·
Oh,yes. each 327 thread comes with a free this.
Ammo For Sale : Cheap Ammo : Find Ammunition at AmmoSeek.com

AmmoEngine: .30-06 Springfield, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

Ventura Munitions | Online Ammunition & Shooting Accessories | Cheap Bulk Ammo

wwww.georgia-arms.com
These are places that normally cover all the .32 calibers or almost all of them as well as having sales on ammo of this caliber.

Forgot almost.

www.buffalobore.com

BB has the .327 and +P .32 H&R magnum ammo.

I've got several boxes of each. They live up to their names. :)

#10 ·
Mine gets a steady diet of everything. From mild 32 longs , heavy 32 mags to about middle of the road 327s. Heavy 327s go to my GP-100 but that's more about preference. I don't like to shoot 357s in J frames either.
This one gets banged aroud plenty like any good pocket pistol should. Hey , it's stainless. A quick rubdown /cleaning with Mother's and it looks new again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.