Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus Model 65

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Taurus Model 65

Just bought a new Taurus Model 65 as my first handgun...what kind of ammo would you guys recommend for a newb shooter? Was thinking of using 38s until I got used to it but I have no idea how bullets are rated etc and what to buy...Can't wait to try though. Any other thoughts/recommendations for a newb?

Member #
    Liked
    2036 times
    Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on picking a fine revolver. I'd suggest starting out with some 158 gr .38 special ammo. It won't beat you up as bad as .357 magnum will. When you do decide to try some .357 stay with the same 158 gr.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    415 times
    Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins.. Congrats on your new range toy!!!
    Be safe out there, no need to meet Jesus before the appointed time!!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    awesome....i will look for that ammo next time i hit the range...thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    823 times
    I have .357 magnums. Part of the beauty of this platform is that it is so versatile. You can have loads for a myriad of tasks.
    In .38 special, I have F.M.J., and H.P. loads. Some are +P loads. I keep a round of snake-shot "up first" in case of yard snakes while working outside.
    In 357 magnum, I have 125 gr for two legged critters. 130 gr ball for practice, and some 158 gr Soft Point for medium sized four legged critters. Plus a couple more "odds and ends" loads.
    Welcome aboard and go shoot that thing.
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94, M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You do have to be careful with the hotter 125 grain 357 loads for the model 65 since it is a K-frame. Lots of good choices are out there for 38 special and +p as well as the several different 357 loads.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    If I were to only shoot 357 magnum for practice, what sort of ammo would u guys suggest for longevity/safety and what loads for actual home defense? Been reading that some people get so used to 38 rounds that they flinch when they shoot 357...This is my primary home defense weapon so I don't want to take any chances as I'll probably load with 357.
    Last edited by yakobo75; 03-23-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Do you live in an apartment or a house? .357 Magnum is high velocity ammo and if you ever have to discharge your weapon in a home defense situation which will most likely be close quarters you don't want to let a barrage of high velocity ammo go unless you are right on target. If you miss they will end up in your neighbors houses and possibly in your neighbors. I have a 605 and 617 both magnum rated and shoot primarily 38 special and use 38+p for home defense. When I shoot magnum I usually shoot 158 grain. I live in a apartment complex with small units and thin walls. Some of the neighbors have children. Their safety is as important as mine, so I load lower velocity defensive ammo for my situation. Like the other gentleman said I would choose 158 grain Magnum if practicing with Magnum. The lighter weight bullets like 125 grain Magnum can be pretty hot.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun.
    — Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle.
    --- Daisaku Ikeda

"Gun control is for people who want to be controlled"
    ---AdesteAnimo

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2891 times
    Congratulations on your new firearm. Welcome from Oklahoma.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
    "I do not believe in using women in combat, because females are too fierce." - Margaret Mead
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." - Will Rogers
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Member #
    Liked
    1081 times
    Quote Originally Posted by yakobo75 View Post
    Just bought a new Taurus Model 65 as my first handgun...what kind of ammo would you guys recommend for a newb shooter? Was thinking of using 38s until I got used to it but I have no idea how bullets are rated etc and what to buy...Can't wait to try though. Any other thoughts/recommendations for a newb?
    Taurus® regulates ALL of its' 357 Magnum revolvers to shoot to point of aim (POA) with 158gr ammunition. Consequently, I venture to say you will probably have the best accuracy, whether 357 Magnum or 38 Special; using this weight ammunition. You can shoot all 38 Special standard pressure, +P, and +P+ ammunition; and 357 Magnum ammunition in your gun.

For range and practice ammunition I recommend the following..........
    38 SPL 158 Grain Full Metal Jacket Flat
    357 MAG 158 Grain Full Metal Jacket Flat

The reason I recommend these two loads is because they are what Taurus® uses to regulate their guns. Additionally this ammo is realatively inexpensive. For defensive ammunition you should first decide how you wish to go, whether with 38 Special or 357 Magnum. Obviously 357 Magnum is the more powerful. That power comes at a cost however, specifically; far greater muzzle blast and recoil than with 38 Special. Furthermore you have a much longer "Return to Battery"; which is recovery from recoil and sights back on target (or on the perp). If you shoot 357 Magnum ammo inside a building or your home, you will lose your hearing for a week! Using 38 Special ammo, even in +P loading; is much better IMHO. You will have a far faster "Return to Battery", and far less recoil and muzzle blast. Only you can decide which load to use. While I don't have a Taurus® Mdl 65, I do have a 669SS4CP, 617SS2, 605SS3, and a 605SS2. I use and carry the following defensive ammunition..........
    Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    Heavy .38 Special +P Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    Tactical Short Barrel Lower Recoil Low Flash 357 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
    Speer® 357 Mag 158gr GDHP
    357 Magnum 158 Grain Semi Jacketed Hollow Point

We have a very large amount of Cougar and Black Bear here in WA state. Consequently I carry the following load for "Critter Defense"..........
    Heavy 357 Magnum Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

Last edited by badge851; 03-24-2012 at 12:19 PM.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links