Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times

Model 82 range reports

Went to the range yesterday with my Sig 2022 and the 2 old Model 82's I've got (Link to the pictures: Rebluing a "new" model 82).

I took a good amount of time between my shots with the 2022, and managed to get a respectable grouping of about an inch and a half to two inches while standing at 7 yards.

But of course the main reason for going was the two model 82's I've acquired. The one I am going to sell to my friend seems to fire just fine, though I only ran a couple cylinders of ammo though it.

The one I'm keeping is plenty accurate, and fires just fine in single action, and I've got the target to prove it. Pictures will come a bit later... However I decided to mess with it in double action mode. Here's where stuff gets bad. My first shot often didn't go off. Reason being the hammer didn't strike the primer. Also, after 2 or so shots, I'd try to pull the trigger again, but it would seem to lock up. I'd tug on the trigger, but the cylinder wouldn't rotate. after a few tries, sometimes I'd get it to fire. Most times I'd end up pulling the hammer back, but that even seemed tough to do. I'm planning on going out again today and testing the gun out again.

I was using Remington Express 38 spl. 158 grain Lead round nose ammo. It did feel a bit loose in the cylinder, so I'm thinking the ammo could be falling a bit out of the cylinder. IT also may have been my futzing around while rebluing the gun... I'm not really sure. I'm going to do a quick disassembly to see if it's anything obvious like a squid on the manifold or something.
    John D.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    OK, got it disassembled, and with the hammer out... I'm not quite sure how to get the trigger assembly out without completely fubaring the gun... updates as I go along!

EDIT: Got trigger and stuff out, and gave everything a good cleaning and lubing. I think what happened was a little gear sorta thing that moved the hammer block came loose. I think it came loose because the frame screws wern't as snug as I could have made them. Still headed to a range to find out... after a trip to walmart for some extra ammo and some targets... I'm outta shoot n' sees!
    Last edited by lvcsslacker; 02-26-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    John D.

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    THere's the result of shooting in single action mode. Went to a range again, and the cylinder's still locking up in double action mode... I think it's time for a gunsmith intervention.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John D.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    17477 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lvcsslacker View Post
    I think it's time for a gunsmith intervention.
    Yep...looks that way.

Good shooting in single action mode!

Member #
    Liked
    55 times
    It looks like a lot of these 82s have a very similar if not the same problem with locking.

Cheers,
    Mad

Member #
    Liked
    5249 times
    Those guns were used a lot and might not have had armorer's attention and sold as is.

My 82 does not do that.

Member #
    Liked
    5249 times
    For clarification my 82 is a newer stainless steel model. Not one of the police turn ins.

Member #
    Liked
    19582 times
    So you reblued the gun without disassemblying it??

Maybe the inerds rusted up during the process.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    A few ways to start diagnosing it is to try to recreate the binding with the side plate off. Dry fire it with spent casings and without to reproduce the action with and without a loaded cylinder. If the action is smooth and it does not bind while dry firing with cylinder empty (without spent casings) it is probably not binding internally. If you put spent casings in and it binds it is probably rubbing somewhere externally. Check your barrel to cylinder clearance .02 to .008, your head space .060-.064, make sure the ejector/cylinder ratchet teeth are not rubbing on the recoil shield. Sounds like you have a little Yolk or crane end float. You can get yolk shims at Midway that can take care of that(S&W k frame yolk shim). If it binds with an empty cylinder with side plate off watch the trigger as it engages the sear. Make sure the cylinder stop is not jamming in the frame. Check to see if the hand is binding in the frame opening to the cylinder ratchet, maybe these areas gained some surface when you blued the gun. All it takes is .001 and it could jam. Did you take out the springs when you blued the gun? Sear spring, hand spring and pin?

I am no gun smith but this is what comes to mind and possibly some of the diagnostics a gunsmith may use to get started.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun.
    Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle.
    --- Daisaku Ikeda

"Gun control is for people who want to be controlled"
    ---AdesteAnimo

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    I didn't take the springs out while rebluing, sadly. I did since pull it apart and clean everything, but only because I wasn't sure how to get it out... now that I know...

All the same, I'm gonna take it to a gunsmith in the next day or so.

And thanks for the encoruagement milproguy.
    John D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links