Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Taurus 327 Review - 2" and 3" barrels (long - with pics)

Member #
    Liked
    62 times

Taurus 327 Review - 2" and 3" barrels (long - with pics)

I just bought 2 Taurus 327's from CDNN, one with a 2" barrel, one with a 3" barrel.
    Here's my review, and I'm gonna start the review with a photo:
    Name:  taurusess.jpg
Views: 6502
Size:  30.8 KB
    They are both beautifully finished revolvers, double/single action, with serrated front sights, functional rubber grips, chambered in .327 Federal Magnum. (capable of firing 32 H&R Magnum, 32 S&W long or 32 S&W short, and perhaps other calibers… ) One has a 3” ported barrel. The other has a 2” barrel. The 2” barrel 327 is almost exactly the same size as my S&W 442 – the barrel is 1/8th of an inch shorter, and the entire revolver is about a quarter inch shorter. The 3” barrel 327 is another inch longer, and with larger boot grips, another inch and an eighth taller. The 2” 327 would be a fine replacement for the 442 in a CCW mode. Although it is 6-8 ounces more, it holds an extra shot and is I would argue that it is more versatile.

I called CDNN to order one revolver. I didn’t want another caliber, but the prices were amazing, so I got 2 of them. I got the Blue 3”ported barrel blue Taurus 327 for $219, and the blue 2” Taurus 327 for $209. There were some fees and charges. The original MSRP for each of these revolvers was $476. Each My total out the door was $452.96, which oddly enough, is almost exactly what I paid for my 442 a year or two ago.
    Name:  scan.jpg
Views: 3382
Size:  33.2 KB

But is it a Bargain? Hmm. Gillette might give away a new Atomic Pro Elite Limited VIP 19-bladed razor for free, but if the blades are $50 each, that’s not a good deal. Ammo for the Taurus 327 is a mixed bag… Some is too expensive. Some is ok. I started out getting a box of Federal 85gr 327 ammo and a 2 boxes of Privi 32 S&W locally. $29.95 plus tax for the 327. $24.99 for the 32 S&W, plus attitude (You really got one of them 327’s? Why’d you ever get that?) I try to support my local gun shops, but they don’t make it easy. I followed that up by buying several 50-rd boxes of Privi 32 S&W ammo from Aim Surplus. It cost $13.95 plus shipping. Not terrible, not great. I’m also getting some 50-rd boxes of Federal 327 from Cheaper Than Dirt for $22.36 ea, plus shipping.

These revolvers seem to be twice as expensive to feed as a comparable 9mm. I don’t like that, but I decided to buy them because I don’t compare them to 9mm. I compare them to my 442, which eats 38 ammo that generally runs $13-17 for a box of 50… or – about the same as the 327, if I feed it more 32 S&W, and less 327.

Initial Impression:
    My initial impression was mixed. The cardboard Taurus boxes are so cheap. (I bought a Plano case at Dicks Sporting Goods for about $12 and both revolvers fit.) Both revolvers were coated by a funky brown sticky ear-wax mess. I worked at it an hour here and there for about 10 days and finally, I got it most of it off. Beyond the gunk were two of the prettiest blue revolvers I’ve seen in a very long time. Taurus has a really beautiful blueing on these. I was unable to remove the grip screw from the 3” revolver for cleaning. I knew that brown stuff was there, but I couldn’t do anything about it… until later. But these revolvers are spectacular. Bravo Taurus!

In terms of size, they are both almost exactly the same width as the 442. The 2" barrel is 1/4 inch longer than the 442, but almost the same dimensions. I have a few pics, but can only attach 5 photos per post... so they may go in a follow-up.
    My first improvement was to get that gawdawful pink grip off that revolver but I was torn. Although ugly as sin, I REALLY like the way it felt. The grip on the 3” is Taurus’ Small Rubber Combat grip, part 4-304. The grip on the 2” is Taurus’ Small Rubber Boot grip. I ordered new 2 combat grips from Taurus. They were in stock and only $9 each. At some point, I might want different grips for CC. Rubber grips can be a bit sticky. HOWEVER, for the range, Taurus combat grip is fantastic. Highly recommended. A second time I have to say: Bravo Taurus! It fits my hand as well as any aftermarket grip, It mitigates recoil, and just feels perfect. I can’t say enough good things about the grips.
    To get those pink grips off took serious work. The screw was stripped. BOO!! I had to cut through the grips, at an angle, about one eighth of an inch around the screw. Then I had to cut the opposite side of the grip. It wasn’t fun, but Taurus shipped me an extra set of grip screws, so I was covered. (That was awesome, thanks Taurus!)
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 4508
Size:  63.8 KB
    After getting the grips on, I noticed the second problem with these revolvers. Taurus has an amazing blue revolver, but the hammers were unblued. Because of the depth of the blue, seeing the hammer coming back, with the contrasting color, is a distracting thing for me. I blued one of them, and took this photo. Name:  hammers.jpg
Views: 3282
Size:  10.1 KB It is kind of subtle, but you can see the difference. When I’m firing a revolver, I don’t like seeing the hammer travel. I love having the single action/double action option… but seeing that unblued hammer with such a striking (distracting) contrast bugs me. The thing I want to see is the in-focus front sight post. Blued is MUCH better, but this is my personal preference.

Mechanics:

Lockup is tight on both and the single action trigger pull is phenomenal on both revolvers. A hair over 2lbs on the 2” and a hair under 3lbs on the 3”. This is my third BRAVO, Taurus! I can’t imagine stock da/sa revolvers with better sa triggers than these. Double action trigger pull is another story. It is not great and not even good. It is just ok. It is about 11-12 lbs on the 3.” That is slightly less than, but comparable to my 442 which is a bit over 12. The 2” is another story. The trigger is very smooth on both, but I found double action trigger pull to be EXTREMELY stout. On the 2”, it is over 15lbs. It might be over 16lbs or 18. I can’t currently measure beyond 15. Both revolvers’ double action pull is very smooth, and both triggers break very crisply. In fact, in terms of smooth and crisp, these Taurus 327’s are both slightly better than my 442, and I have snap-cap-fired that 442 A LOT to smooth it out! For me, bottom line is that the 2” 327’s double action trigger pull seems way too heavy.

How do they shoot?

To me, the Taurus 327 is a dual caliber revolver. Shooting with the 32 S&W long is like shooting a .22. Recoil, noise, and everything else is mild. That’s not a surprise - a 98gr bullet at 132 ft/lbs of muzzle-energy has almost exactly the same as a Remington Golden Bullet .22 - 131 ft/lbs. It is huge fun to shoot these revolvers with 32 S&W. BIG Fun!

Describing the difference between shooting the 32 S&W Long and the 327 Magnum, the only adequate word is: WOW! Everything changes. It is like you pull into a garage with a 1972 Fiat and pull out with a 2012 Ferrari. I know that a 32 caliber hole is small. (but bigger than you might think) From what I’ve read, and from shooting it, I believe the .327 would likely be adequate for almost any situation that I might need it for. I would not hike Alaskan bear country with (only) one of these revolvers on purpose, but if someone breaks into my house, and all I have is one of these, I won’t be worried at all. Not a bit. (In an absolute-worst case scenario home-invasion, I’d likely only use this until I could reach one of the shotguns… and it will work for that.)

As far as accuracy - with 32 S&W long, single-action fired 6 round groups were generally 2-3 inches at 15 yds, including flyers. Double action groups were larger, but I think the weapon is capable of really great accuracy. They seem to hit point of aim-point of impact, although slightly different point of impact with the 327 magnum ammo. I fired a few times with 4-5 rounds of 32 S&W and 1-2 rounds of 327, and a few times with 3 and 3, but mixed up. Those 6-round groups were 4-5 inches, and 6 round groups of double-action ranged from 3 inches, to just shy of pie-plate at 15 yards. That is operator accuracy, though, not pistol accuracy. these pistols are both very accurate. I was surprised - in that I did not notice ANY difference in accuracy between the 2" and 3" inch barrels. I'd say the 3" has a a better double action trigger pull, a longer barrel, and a longer sight radius so it SHOULD easier to fire more accurately - but it wasn't much different.

Comparison and conclusion:

Well, what about that S&W 442? Since I got it, my 442 has been in the bedroom every night, within an arms-reach of where I sleep, next to a large, bright flashlight, loaded. The 442 is extremely light – like 15 oz and amazingly accurate considering the short barrel and short sight-radius. It is capable of 2-3 inch, 5 shot groups at 15 yds all day, every day. The trigger is very smooth, very crisp, very predictable and I really like it. BUT the 442 has a capacity of 5 and it is just no fun to shoot at the range unless I’m using 148gr wadcutters.

The 327's are only a wee bit more expensive to shoot than the 38sp, much more expensive than a 9mm, and the ammo is not as common. HOWEVER, I got a screaming deal on the revolvers, they are versatile, a ton of fun, have more capacity, they point more naturally than my 442, and the are likely to be as adequate as a 38 special for most things that go bump in the night. I REALLY love the fit, finish, quality, capacity and initial cost!

I do NOT like the double action trigger on the 2”, it is not much better on the 3". I will get some snap caps and start working that out. I don’t like the black front sight post – again, another personal preference that I will remedy, probably like what I did to my S&W.
    Name:  FrontSIght.jpg
Views: 3262
Size:  7.1 KB
    Given all the good, the questionable, and the bad about these revolvers, I would buy them again in a heartbeat. If you're sitting on the fence while these are on clearance, you're missing out on an opportunity. If you decide you don't like it, and you bought it for ... $225 or $250, you will likely not lose one penny in reselling it. If you decide you like it, to me, The Taurus 327 is simply a screaming bargain!

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Here are two photos that show the 442 next to the 2" bbl Taurus 327.Name:  J-327.jpg
Views: 3393
Size:  8.7 KB

Name:  2-442.jpg
Views: 3570
Size:  18.8 KB Most of the difference in length, perhaps all of it - is because the S&W has a 1 7/8" barrel- but the Taurus has a 2". Not very different in size at all. (To me that is a VERY good thing - I love the S&W J-frame)
    Lance0812 and aero1 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Thanks for the really good reviews on those pistols...Just curious, did you have to pay sales tax ? I recently ordered from CDNN and my transfer dealer charged me sales tax, even though the purchase mode was a credit card , the only money I paid my dealer was the transfer fee and....the sales tax I am disputing.

CDNN put on the shipping invoice sold to my transfer dealer, whereas, it was sold to me. They (CDNN) said they had to put it like that to ship.....

If you don't want to answer, its fine, perhaps your state has different rules than Va.
    aero1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    jakerson9, Great reviews. I have the 3" 327 and carry it far more than my 442. Has a better trigger and feel all the way around. Try some of Reeds Ammo .327 HP at 1300 FPS. Awesome. Altamont has some beautiful rosewood checkered grips for it. (Model 85) As far as paying slightly more for the ammo than the 9mm...I can't see any comparison either. I compare it to buying a good, used Chevy Tahoe that gets 12 MPG....they are giving them away at the used car dealers but you have to pay at the pump. Its a trade off. Cheap truck, expensive gas. But....I use this weapon as one of my EDC and as you put it, have NEVER felt undergunned in any way. This little pocket-rocket is fully capable of putting down anything I would run into on the street. Just my 2 cents. Heck-of-a-deal. Taurus ROCKS!!!!! Semper-fi Mike
    jakerson9 likes this.
    Prop. ADL Custom Holsters
    The two enemies of gun...rust and politicians.
    "You can put a name on a bullet, but a grenade is addressed "to whom it may concern".

Member #
    Liked
    45 times
    Sunset_Va.... I had mine shipped to a FFL in NC and also purchased w/plastic. NO sales tax. Semper-fi Mike
    aero1 likes this.
    Prop. ADL Custom Holsters
    The two enemies of gun...rust and politicians.
    "You can put a name on a bullet, but a grenade is addressed "to whom it may concern".

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Hi, I'm in NC, and didnt pay st. tax. I did pay FFL fees. (21 for both). Semper fi. -John
    aero1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Jakerson9... Excellent review. Congrats on the acquisitions. I love the various incarnations of the 32 caliber revolvers. I own a Ruger SP101 3 1/4" barrel in 327magnum and a Taurus 731 snubnose in 32H&R magnum. Love both of them. Keep the faith, bruthah!
    aero1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Thanks for the info about the sales tax, I am not satisfied or happy over what happened to me with the local dealer.

Just curious, on your 3" ported 327, how far back from the muzzle are the ports? They don't show in the photos.
    aero1 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    LOL-Went and shot my 2" stainless M327 at the range tonite (along with the GP-100 .327), and came home to read this. I ran some of the Federal 85 gr. rounds and some .32 H&R Mag 85 gr. as well.

The H&R mags are like shooting popcorn compared to the .327's and the 100 gr. are stouter than the 85's, but I remain impressed with the M327. I shoot it and "Polly", my .38 special Polymer Protector, much better than the J-frames I had previously. I'm not sure if it it the slight size difference, the sights or the sight picture; it doesn't really matter - the Tauruses work for me. BTW, make sure you keep an eye on the crane screw on your M327's. They have a tendency to loosen up from the shock of the Mag rounds. Enjoy!!
    aero1 likes this.
    Pragmatism - the relentless pursuit of seeing things as they really are.

Member #
    Liked
    318 times
    Wow that is a great review and perfect timing. I was going back and forth in a different thread a day or two ago with "Marine-MP" about picking up a M327 from CDNN. I was super tempted to get the 3" but I am a snub nose freak and I went with my gut and got the snubby today from CDNN. Should have it here by Monday. Half of me wants to call back this a.m. and change to the 3" the other half says "you went with your gut, let it be". Whatever the case I am excited about the 327 mag ammo. I fully expected ammo to be a little bit of a challenge, but there seems to be plenty on line at least and a good goal to hand load for. The versatility of ammo is also very cool.
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun.
    — Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle.
    --- Daisaku Ikeda

"Gun control is for people who want to be controlled"
    ---AdesteAnimo

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links