Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Taurus 617 review

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Taurus 617 review

We picked up a new model 617 stainless last week for my wifes primary CCW.

The lowdown:

2" barrel, seven shot revolver with Taurus's "combat" grip. Weight approx 30oz, with fixed sights and bead blasted finish. Price out the door here in Utah from Sportsmans Warehouse, $424.

Seven rounds in a wheelgun is a bit strange but comforting and one of the main reasons my wife chose this model.

Fit and finish on our gun was "ok" mainly due to the rough finish and the side plate joint being fairly obvious. Triggerpull in SA mode after a good cleaning is a consistent 4 pounds. My gauge doesn't go over 8 pounds but I would guess the DA to be around 12 pounds or so, which is fairly typical. SA and DA are smooth and crisp with no grittiness felt. I anticipate the SA to drop to around 3.75 or so after a bunch of dry fires and actual shooting.

We had a very short time in which to test gun this past weekend and I only had two different rounds on hand. Normally I don't shoot specials in my magnum guns as I can always download the mag rounds and the cleanup is a pain from the shorter cases, however all I had on hand was 50 .38 special semi wad cutters and some home loaded .357's. Both loads were 158 gr with the .38's being lead and the .357's being Berry's round nose copper plated bullets.

The sights, such as they are on a snub nose revolver were regulated well for both loads in elevation, with the .38's being dead on the money. The .357's consistently shot 1" left, but that could be due to the makeup of my home load. Things could change with seating depth, charge or type of powder. I will be experimenting this weekend with a larger variety of loads once the "supplies" show up from MidwayUSA. Timing is good with no spatter noticed and the cylinder to barrel gap is approx .005's. Not too tight, not too loose. I will be setting up a chronograph at the next range session to see just how much the short barrel affects the overall velocity.

Accuracy (with a specific load) was quite surprising to say the least. This is the first seven rounds out of the gun in SA at seven yards unsupported. Groups more or less doubled in DA which is more than adequate for a personal self defense gun in my opinion!

Recoil was easily managed even with the .357's thanks in part to the guns weight and stock grips. I could easily shoot and practice with the gun as is. However, the guns actual owner my wife, was less than impressed with the recoil aspects and I have since ordered one of Taurus's ribber grips ($24.70 shipped). The stock grips are a good compromise between conceal ability and control.

I have a Galco high ride holster on the way and will post my carry impressions. However I suspect it will be quite nice compared to my typical carry pistol which usually consists of much heavier and longer 1911's.

Pro's:

Seven shots
    Accurate
    Good trigger

Cons:

Heavy for a CCW
    Wide seven shot cylinder makes it harder to conceal
    Fit and finish, not as good as some Taurus revolvers or other manufacturers.

I plan to start the polishing regimen this week as the bead blasted surface is a pain to clean. I think I can also help clean up the side plate joint a bit while smoothing the surface.

All in all I'm pretty taken with this pistol and am confident with it as a tool for self defense.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Re: Taurus 617 review

Nice review.

I too have a 617SS. I love the gun and carry it daily with a Galco FLETCH holster. I carry it with .38+P JHP's. .357 is a bit too much for me without more practice.

Anywho, a quick question for ya. I would love to get some ribber grips for mine. Where did you get yours? I have a buddy that has a Judge, and I really like those ribber grips. After I shoot about 100 rounds of .357 out of mine, it feels like someone hit me in the hand with a baseball bat.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    945 times

Ok, from Taurus, for the compact frame 617, is the ribber grip for order.
    The part # and last price shows below.
    Compact 5-20001 Ribber $18
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks, I'll place my order later today.

Member #
    Liked
    225 times

Nice gun and good review. I think I want one.

I sold my guns because the Government says they are dangerous.

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    945 times

Nice gun, but I bought the Rossi 461 357, with 6 rds. Do not need 2!! YET!!
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Yep, $24.70 shipped and as of yesterday they had at least one in stock.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/rgrips.cfm

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    10032 times

That is a great CCW gun - I could care less about the weight, if it's a stud gun in a pretty concealable package, and that fills the bill nicely. Great review too.
    You all may go to hell, and I will go to Texas - Davy Crockett

"Beware the fury of a patient man." - John Dryden

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA member and proud Texas CHL holder

Member #
    Liked
    6 times

Pic of 617 with Ribber grips

Here's a pic of the 617 with the ribber grips off of my Tracker. The frames are identical so all grips are interchangeable. They of course give much more control at the expense of concealability.

Member #
    Liked
    86 times
    Just bumping this up for a great review on a sweet handgun!
    ncfarmer likes this.
    Regis Ultima Ratio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links