Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 445 ul

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I recently looked at a new 445 ultra lite at a gun show recently. The fit , finish, and overall handling were very nice.

To the original poster, the ultra lite does not weigh 29 oz empty. The listed weight is 22 oz. That's a fair difference. I believe Taurus orig had three versions with a 2" barrel. The total titanium at 19 oz, the ultra light at 22 or 23 oz and the steel version at 28 or 29 oz.

They have reintroduced the ultra light. It is a very nice feeling gun. I'm sure recoil would be sharp but not unmanageble. The S&W night guard 44 magnum weighs in at 29 oz. I can't imagine firing that with full loads. The NG 44 spe version weighs 24.5 oz.

I really like the 44 spe but lately the 45 acp in a revolver has caught my attention.

Dave

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    I can't answer towards the 445 standard weight as I do not own one, but I do have it's direct kin, the Taurus 431 with a 3 inch barrel. Since they are both the 445 and 431 on the same frame, the 431 barrel I have on two of them is only 3 inches in barrel length, the difference in what happens when .44 Specials are fired there is not that much difference between the two models.

There is the snap of the recoil from the 431, but it is not harsh or painful. 1 inch less of barrel should not cause major problems with felt recoil. I'm 5'8" in height and find the 431 fun to shoot. 50 rounds is not too much to do in one session.
    Qwiks,
    I also have a 441. I am just saying the difference between the felt recoil in the steel guns and the Ultralites is appreciable. And this is coming from a guy who is a big fan of the .44 Special. I also don't think it is strictly a weight issues, as the 445 UL is about 2-3 oz. heavier than my Bulldogs, but the Bulldogs are more comfortable to shoot. I think the rubber grips abrading on my hand are the most uncomfortable thing about the UL.
    Qwiks draw likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    317 times
    Another Gentleman corrected me the UL's are around 22oz, too bad they did not bring back the steel version. I'm not a big fan of UL's and anything in 44 deserves some steel. I'll still carry steel in a 44 snubby, even more so!
    "Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun.
    Sammy "the Bull" Gravano

Freedom doesn't mean an absence of all restrictions. It means possessing unshakable conviction in the face of any obstacle.
    --- Daisaku Ikeda

"Gun control is for people who want to be controlled"
    ---AdesteAnimo

Member #
    Liked
    4300 times
    dallascj.

Thanks for the clarification.

Member #
    Liked
    299 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw View Post
    dallascj.

Thanks for the clarification.
    No problem. I was really excited to get the UL but was disappointed with how 'un-fun' it is to shoot. I think I need to come up with a design for a wood grip for the Compact frames. That would probably make a world of difference for this gun.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links