Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Large frame Taurus vs. Trackers

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Taurus_9mm 
#1 ·
I've been sitting here checking out different variations of Taurus revolvers. I'm comparing the large frame magnums (608 & mod 44) to the Trackers in .357 and .44 and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into whether the large-frame models are simply larger and heavier or if they are made better. I've shot a .44 tracker 4" and a 6 1/2" Raging Bull in .44 mag. The frame on the RB is definitely a lot bigger and the gun was a lot heavier as well. Anyway, Taurus claims on their website that the large-frame 608 and 44 come with "hand-fitted frames and clean, crisp triggers right out of the box". This implies extra effort in their manufacture. Has anyone noticed that the large frame models are put together better than the Trackers?

If anyone has any opinions to share on the .357 vs. .44 comparison, I'm open to hearing about that as well, other than the obvious pounding from full-house .44 mag loads.

#2 ·
I have a Raging Bull in 500 Magnum and a Tracker in .357 Magnum While the RB is obviously much larger, and beefier, I can't discern that it's constructed in any way that would be deemed superior to the Tracker, save for the extra lockup which the Tracker doesn't need.

The fit, finish and lockup on my Tracker is equally as good as that on my Raging Bull. YMMV however to one degree or another from specimen to specimen. But overall, I'd say they're both on par with the other in those respects.

If you want to shoot pedal-to-the-metal full bore loads in .44 Magnum however, there's no question as to the Raging Bull being the one to get. It's one of the few revolvers rated by Garrett cartridges and Buffalo Bore to accept .44 Mag +P+ ammo that puts it virtually on par with the .454 Casull.

If you want an occasional plinker/hiking piece and will predominately shoot 180 gr. to 240. gr fodder, you'd be as well served then getting the Tracker.

Best Wishes

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.