Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: is the m94 and taurus tracker really that bad

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

is the m94 and taurus tracker really that bad

Hey everyone,This is my first post. I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll give it shot anyway. I really want to buy a m94 or a tracker 22. But when you do a web seat h there are a lot of negative reviews . I bought a s&w 22a about a year ago because I was too afraid to take a chance on the m94 or tracker. The smith is great but I'm a revolver guy. And I don't want a single action. I also don't want to drop $600 on a smith 22 revolver. So the Taurus is in the right price range and is the set up I want. I'm just nervous about having issues with it. Can anyone give me their review log the m94 and tracker? Which one is the higher quality gun? Thanks everyone!

Member #
    Liked
    18325 times
    I didn't want to spend over $600 for a stainless steel J-framed S&W .22 plinker either.

In stead I spent $350 for a 2" stainless steel Taurus M-94.

It's a keeper.

It holds 9 vs. 8 rounds, is corrosive resistant, has adjustable sights and a red ramped front sight.

The double action triggers on all .22 revolvers are heavy for reliability reasons with rimfire ammo.

I smoothed and lightened mine up by polishing the mainspring strut with "Mothers mag polish", then installing a "Wolff" main spring.

NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    2785 times
    Cant say about the M94 but I have two Trackers, one in 17HMR and the other in 22LR. I have had nothing at all go wrong with them. As MOONDAWG said, the double action is very heavy but is fixable. I would say take the plunge. I can honestly recommend them.
    Oh and welcome to the forum!
    ‘‘It is not the function of our government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.’’ - Justice Robert H. Jackson

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    10916 times
    Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois! I only own Taurus semi-autos so I cannot weigh in on the M94, but I am certain that others will be along also to relate their experience.
    "The office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron." HL Mencken

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    943 times
    What has been said about the 94, I will agree with. Tough DA, but lots of fun to shoot. I have not put a lot thru mine DA, but throughly enjoy it in SA.
    ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    My 9904SS Tracker has been flawless through thousands of rounds. It's probably the most shot revolver I own, and I am a revolver guy.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    590 times
    Buying a Taurus is "Like a box of Chocolates, you'l never know what you will get"

Member #
    Liked
    2037 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerzz View Post
    Buying a Taurus is "Like a box of Chocolates, you'l never know what you will get"
    This can be said about most brands. As they say, nobody's perfect, and this is a Taurus forum.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    There is a lot of Taurus haters, I used to tell people to avoid Taurus.
    I really wanted to know why people bashed them, how could a gun company keep making a gun that sucks? so I went out and bought a M94. LOVE IT, $300 less than a S&W DA pull is pretty stiff 12lbs or something like that. It's okay, very fun. I have over 1500 rounds through my M94 now and I love it. My first ever revolver.

Also take note, this forum complaint section, know any others with that?

Finally theres photos of revolvers, some members show 3-5+ revolvers by Taurus, if they really suck why would they keep buying them?
    Last edited by revolver fan1; 09-24-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    Taurus 94lr ultralite blued

Member #
    Liked
    5079 times
    I can answer for a Taurus 94 and the Taurus 990.

Both are great guns. I've owned two different 94s and still have one. The newer 94 model. These are or have been my understudy guns for the center fire revolvers. Instead of burning up lots of centerfire ammo I can shoot a couple boxes or so of .22lrf for fun and proficiency training.

The 94 does come with hard trigger pull but so do most if not all the other brands of.22lrf revolvers. One can do that in a number of ways. Looking for burrs and getting rid of them internally, if you are a good shade tree gunsmith can help. Changing springs can be an iffy thing, but some do not get light strikes when changing out springs. I did and had light hit problems so put the old springs back in and the problem went away.

Dry firing with .22lrf snap caps from 500-1000 times ( not all at one time) helps smooth out the action and lighten the trigger pull somewhat. Lots of practice, with no ammo around, does the same thing.

On my 990 I have not had to smooth anything out. The 990 has a larger frame and working parts compared to the 94 so the double action pull is right where I want it.

HKS has 9 shot speedloaders for the Taurus 94. There are none for the 990 and Tracker series in rimfire guise.

You do have to learn to work with the Taurus 94's trigger pull and follow through. This is true for any rimfire revolver or centerfire revolver. It takes time,dedication, and doing it right. No jerking or slapping the trigger. There are many who own revolvers but do not know the art of a smooth and continuous trigger pull and floow through for the next shot.

The accuracy for both the Tracker and Taurus 94 are excellent. My several examples of gun and what I've seen from Mas Ayoob, Gun Blast, and other well known no nonsense gun writer/instuctors, seems to bear this out.

To date both the Taurus .22lrf Tracker and the 94 have not had any operable problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links