Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Checking timing on a Taurus revolver?

I have heard that Taurus revolvers should not be checked for timing as S&W's are and that Taurus revolvers by-design lockup as the hammer is falling as opposed to before it reaches full-cock in DA trigger pull. Is this correct or not? What is the correct timing-check procedure for Taurus revolvers? I have the 2 1/2" 44 spl five-shooter. Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    84 times

Re: Checking timing on a Taurus revolver?

not sure...I would check by (slowly) cocking the hammer and at the same time try to rotate the cylinder and than the same while (slowly) lowering the hammer.
    Go your way now, go with God, bag full of guns…

Check out my Pro Gun T-Shirts at http://www.cafepress.com/hotsky

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

I have a 5 shot 605. Here's how I check timing. MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED!  Close the cylinder, cock the gun, release the hammer slowly so that it goes all the way down against the transfer bar and pin.  Make sure you keep the trigger pulled all the way back and leave it back. Now, take a flashlight and look down the barrel. I should be lined up almost perfect with the cylinder. I say almost, because some will line up perfectly, and some will be a "hair" off.  This doesn't affect the function of the gun, and there is "float" built into the cylinder to compensate for this. Do this for each chamber in the cylinder.  For whatever reason, mine is perfect on two cylinders and a hair off on 3. But the ones that are slightly off can be turned to be perfect.  The bullet is the final alignment tool as it leaves the chamber and enters the forcing cone. Smiths are the same way, but I find my older smith lines perfect on each chamber.  I haven't checked a new one for comparison.  Hope this helps.
    Ps: If all your primer dimples are centered on your spent cartridges, this is a good indicator as well.
    The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night..... http://jkwasblog.blogspot.com/

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

When i buy a used Revo I perform that check when you dryfire or let the hammer down easy not only should the cyl. line up but the cylinder should not move side to side while you continue holding the trigger down it should do this with all chambers. I also carry 2 brass feeler guages a .004 and a .006 and see if they will slip into the space between the cyl. and the barrel with .004 being a go and .006 being on the high end for me.
    Taurus 605 SSCH
    Taurus PT 1911
    Taurus M85
    Bersa thinder 380
    Ruger New Single Six
    Colt Diamondback
    To Many Kimbers
    To Many Colts
    AK's & AR's
    to many 22's
    Some EBR's too !

Links