Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Taurus Model 88?

13K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  cooper 
#1 ·
I am looking at buying a Taurus Model 88 357 stainless. Can someone please tell what the Model 88 is? When were they made? I've heard it is a stainless 66? It seems to be in very good condition and maybe a little older. Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
I plead ignorance (which is not hard for me) on all the various Taurus revolvers, but I have a friend with what is a ROSSI Model 88....not a Taurus. It is in SS, but is 38-Special only. The info I read on the Rossi 88 he has was that it was not +P rated and was in 38-special caliber.

Taurus may very well have made a Model 88, but I suppose the question could be academic since Taurus owns Rossi. This little 88 Rossi my friend has is a sweet shooting little gun that basically mimics the Taurus 85 frame-family....or vice-versa. His is a great little gun, but I think would be a handful in 357 mag with the 2-inch barrel.

#5 ·
Some of these old-pros will chime in here soon. I can't make-out what it says on the markings from the picture, but It would not matter a bunch to me whether it said Taurus or Rossi. I know there can be some issues as to how these older guns are marked, as in Interarms or not and I don't know the ins-n-outs of how that matters either.

I'd have to wait for the folks that know all the history on these pieces to expand on that. They will be along soon, but any gun you can get at a good price is a good gun...up to a certain point.

#8 ·
Just as a point for future reference, the picture below is of a Taurus Model 88, .38 Special revolver. It's a 4" barrel Stainless Steel, fixed sight, 6 shot revolver. It has small square butt service grips with the Taurus old style bulls head logo. I don't know if this model was also available with adjustable sights or not. Taurus usually give models with adjustable sights a different model number from those with fixed sights.

#10 ·
1550vt said:
I was leaning toward Rossi because of the fining pin in the hammer also, but I was not sure if the early Taurus models had the same feature. None of the Taurus pictures shown have the firing pin in the hammer.
If there is a weak spot in the Rossi Revolvers, it seems to be the firing pin mounted on the hammer. Some are not always fitted properly and not produced properly.

A few folks have had problems with firing pin breakage with their Rossi revolvers, and have had gun smiths fit a S & W firing pin as a replacement.

I have a Rossi that has not experienced this problem with over 500 rounds, however, I would prefer the firing pin system of the Taurus.

The Model 88 Taurus is very similar to the Model 10 S & W with the exception of the firing pin and some other internals.

The price of the 88 should be in the $200-$240 range.

#11 ·
Just when I thought I was an expert on Taurus revolvers. I've never heard of the model 88 but would bet, due to the vintage, that it has a hammer mounted firing pin.

Anyone with access to the Blue Book of Gun Values? Is the model 88 listed? These old ones are new to me.

Coop

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.