Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Taurus M94 - thinking about purchasing one

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I am in the market for a .22 revolver. I want the option of double action. I know Taurus makes a lot of firearms and is very well known. When I did research on the M94 it was 50-50. Some people really like them and others hate them. Some people have sais bad things about their lifetime warranty and turnaround time if repairs are needed. I guess I'm nervous about spending $300 for a revolver because of the mixed reviews. I would like to hear from people that own M94 and get your feedback. Do you like your M94? Would you recommend it as a range/plinking revolver? How is the Taurus customer service and warranty? Thank you all for your time!

Jim

Member #
    Liked
    4318 times

Re: Taurus M94 - thinking about purchasing one

I do own a 94 and recommend it. The caveat is that if you can go with a bit heavier weighing gun the model then the models 970 or 990 should be looked at.

While the trigger pull is heavy things were slicked up by using .22lrf snap caps and doing some dry firing with the snap caps in place. This was about 90- 100 full cycles of the cylinder. This lightened the 94s trigger pull and smoothed things out.

I owned a older 20 year old 94 which worked well, but sold it to aquire a model 94 with the underlug.

The new 94 is the understudy gun to the centerfire Taurus revolvers. The 94 fires cheaper .22lrf ammo versus centerfire ammo.

I've had no problems with my 94.

dmz
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I own two M94's. A 4" and a 5". Both went back to the factory for timing problems. I Sent them both in the same box and it took about 4 weeks to get them back. The now work fine. Customer service folks were easy to work with.

I like the small frame of the 94. The DA triggers are very heavy, but the SA trigger is nice and crisp. Both are very accurate with most ammo, including the bulk stuff. The hyper velocity stuff results in groups opening up a bit.

The rear sights are rather crude and are known to come loose and even fall off.

The blue finish is nice, but it scratches very easily. Not a big deal for a knock-about .22 revolver.

I nearly always have one in my day pack or in my truck when I venture into the mountains.

Member #
    Liked
    938 times

I have 2 Mod 94's in Stainless with 4 inch barrels. I have had to do a lot of work on both actions these revolvers to get them where someone with little to no experience with handguns can shoot them without problems. One is going back to Taurus becuase the cylinder is bored out of round and 4 chambers will not fire because the firing pin strike them too high on the rim. I had to modify the firing pin to make it fire all nine.

I love the size and weight of these guns but they do have problems with quality control.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Never had one but heard lots of horror stories. If I was looking for one I'd try to find a used one that the guy had no problems with.

Member #
    Liked
    4318 times

If you haven't tried one, rented one to shoot, or looked them over personally at the local gun store that is an odd comment.

TFL, THR, and other large gun forums are full of horror stories that cannot be verified or sound plausible. Some are, but most are not.

Owner does not give good details, things would have been found prior to the purchase,owner does not want to work things through or is new to the gun and puts little effort into it.

Yes, there are some 94s that have had problems, but no more than other companies. The majority of 94& 941 owners are satisfied with their purchases. Nothing is perfect and that claim won't be made.

I've had minor issues with other brands, but did not whine, cry, and wring my hands on how I'd been wronged. One either works through or with things that happen.

As for hearing the horror stories where were they from, were they verifiable,plausible, or hearsay. Since you did not give details about the horror stories and havae no experience with the model then you cannot pass judgement on it until you have experience with the that model.

Since inspecting closely and follwing the "how to buy a revolver guide" that can be found on the internet sites and in books there is little way that anyone will get a bad example if they follow the guide lines.

Just fact.

Member #
    Liked
    4318 times

Secondly, if there were problems with them no one would be buying them and there would not be 11 pages of postive use in the archives here or good stories at other gun forums.

I have seen the positive threads at TFL and THR, so they are out there.

I go with what I here on the internet with a grain of sale until I can see something for myself. Sifts wheat from the chaff.

One has to keep an open mind on these things.

Many moons ago I thought Hi-point and Bersa were garbage to hear thow eho had no or little experience with them. Conventional wisdom "that just knows things are a cerain way" is not wise at all. Assumption,innuendo,and falsehoods do not help the picture either.

If you don't buy one,fine. Just don't tell us who have them as to what "is really going on with them" when that's not the case.

One can be leary and aware of reports, but see for oneself first.

Taurus owners are a picky bunch and will inspect a gun closely and with common sense before the purchase. We do not go out and by something starry eyed or follow the crowd senselessly. Our criteria is like anyone else's who goes out to buy a good firearm.

Most of us also own other brands and are careful in those picks as well.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have and do own Taurus, just not the 94. I think the model 94 is more of a gamble than a 96, 970, or 990.

Member #
    Liked
    4318 times

Could be. But I own a 96 and it has no problems either.

The few 970s that I have been able to handle looked good as well.

What I guess I am getting at over all is that if one checks the gun out prior to purchase the supposed or real problems mostly can be eliminated.

Many who complained had not.

Of the model 94s of other shooters that I've been able to see were all good items. Yes, it was only limited to this area.

Member #
    Liked
    938 times

I guess Qwiks-draw is referring to me and I've noticed he gets a little red around the collar when someone says something negative about Taurus guns.

I'm 62 years old and have been shooting since I was 7 or 8. I have taken a couple of gunsmithing classes at the Community College. I own and shoot a lot of guns and I own and shoot several Taurus guns. I have a PT 1911, PT 145, Old Mod 65 3 inch and 2 Taurus Model 94's that I bought to use in NRA Basic Pistol and NC Concealed Carry Classes.

I like Taurus guns and consider them a great value but the 2 Mod 94's I own have had problems. I knew this when I bought them and I was able to smooth and lighten the actions of both. The one gun I mentioned that has the issue with the cylinder being bored out of round will fire 100% now that I modified the firing pin to strike lower on the cartridge but it doesn't correct the alignment of the cylinder with the barrel so it's going back to Taurus. I love the size and weight of the Mod 94 and the students also love it. I consider it one of the best revolvers to teach someone new to shooting

I post about this every time I see someone considering buying a Mod 94 because of the problems I've had and that 2 of our local gunshops that won't carry them anymore because of the problems with them. I am not saying not to buy the Mod 94 but I am saying to check them out thoroughly before buying one. If you get a Mod 94 with out the problems then you have one of the best double action 22 revolvers I know of.
    Character and Ethics count, don't leave home without them. Or your CCW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links