Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

357 revolver with 3 inch barrel

Has anyone bought, fired or seen a Taurus 357 revolver in 3 inch as listed (in 605 for instance) on the Taurus web site?

Thanks a million.

JimL

Member #
    Liked
    5250 times

Re: 357 revolver with 3 inch barrel

Don't have the 605, for instance ....., but do have a stainless older model 65. It's a nice carry piece, has good heft and balance. Makes shooting the 125gr.JHP .357 magnum light magnum loads and +P .38 Special 158 gr.LSWCHPs a breeze compared to the lighter weight and smaller brethren. 6 shots instead of 5 is a small added bonus.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

I've had several 3-inch barrel snubs, a S&W 36 square butt, a S&W Model 65, a Colt Detective Special (Yeah, I'm still kicking myself over that one), and a S&W Model 13, but no Taurus. I like 'em. One thing is, they all require holsters. My only Taurus right now is a 85SSUL 2-inch which rides in a pocket about half the time.

ECS
    "If the truth hurts, it should." - Dad
    "Shoot until it blows up." - SFC Strand
    "As for me, I aim to misbehave." - Malcolm Reynolds

Member #
    Liked
    5250 times

Got to like S&W, Colt, and Taurus. Would have had a S&W 58. Got discontinued and not available at the time.
    Wanted a Colt Detective Special. Those were discontinued as well and those available were priced out of sight at the time. Even the Agents went away.
    There's a long line of wants, but cannot haves. Went with Taurus which was available, priced right at the time, and never looked back.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I'm wondering if Taurus 3 inch snubs really exist... The Taurus web site doesn't have pictures of any, even though they are listed with specs. I saw one advertised somewhere, but that could have been a typo.

Hmmm...

Member #
    Liked
    1325 times

Quote Originally Posted by JimL
    I'm wondering if Taurus 3 inch snubs really exist... The Taurus web site doesn't have pictures of any, even though they are listed with specs. I saw one advertised somewhere, but that could have been a typo.

Hmmm...
    Yes, they really exist. I aquired a 3" 605 357 Magnum from a Patrol Officer that works for me. I swapped him a beater S&W Mdl 37 Airweight for it. Many, many folks tout the virtues of a 3" revolver & dearly love them. 2" snubbies I like, 4" revolvers I like; 3" revolvers were neither fish nor fowl for me. After using the gun for a while I swapped it for another Taurus« (Mdl 85UL). I've been grandfathered by my dept & I carry only a wheelgun by choice. For Patrol I use my S&W« 686 4" 357. For plain clothes assignments, which I'm doing a lot more, I use a Taurus« Mdl 617 2╝" 357. In both cases my Mdl 85UL is my BUG/ODG.
    David
    CW3, U.S. Army (Ret)
    09/26/1968-05/31/1990
    Vietnam Veteran - 2 Tours

Vulnerata, Fortis, Dignus Veterani

Only two defining forces ever died for you:
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, & Marine.
    One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
    1Cross + 3Nails = 4Given

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by badge851
    3" revolvers were neither fish nor fowl for me.
    Interesting.

I thought maybe it would get you a little more accuracy without the much larger size of a 4 inch to conceal. Or are you talking strictly from a LEO point of view?

Thanks a million

JimL

Member #
    Liked
    5250 times

3 inch barrels are better at some things, but not better in so many ways as to count overall. Ballistics are improved over the 2 in. barrels and give more sight reference,and make a good carry gun, but there isn't that much advantage over a 4 in.barrel except for easy carry. And that's only a small advantage.

There are those who like the 'split the difference' models of guns for the small advantages over the other two revolver gun sizes. Nothing wrong with that. Just means there isn't as much in the way ofsuperior reasons for the choice or that a choice is totally correct in all areas. It is for the individual user. There are compromises at all levels to pick a snubbie, 3 in.barreled revolver or a 4 incher.

Most people who pack a 4 incher want to because of slightly better ballisitics, longer sight plain, and see little advantage for the shorter tube, when the difference isn't all that great. To them anyway.

I have both,but go with the longer tube for most purposes. If I am using .357 magnum, then I want all the magnum ballisitics I can get. Granted, the drop in muzzle velocity isn't that great from a longer to shorter one,but there are those of us who do not want the change or increased muzzle blast. Efficiency increases are good things overall.

There are still times that the shorter tube does carry well and I do like shooting the shorter tubed gun. With .38 Specials +P or other wise, this is a nice gun to carry.
    With Federal or Remington 125.gr JHPs light magnum loads, I have as decent level of protection. The same can be said for the .38 Special loads as well.
    Nice to have versatility in a cartridge such as the .357/.38 caliber family.

The heft of the K like frame soaks up recoil and muzzle flip somehat over the 5 shot snubbies.

This is all about personal choice more than about alleged superiority of one kind or another. There are trade offs or compromises to the various choices we decide to carry. What is important is our choice and why we chose this for our own reasons. Not somebody elses.

For those who chose to carry a snubbie, fine. Those who chose the other size revolvers, fine. They all know why they do it and are satisfied in what meets their critera.Can't ask for more.

When in the Hampton Roads Virginia area it was not uncommon to have to help the neighborhood county Sheriff's deputy contain a situation armed. For that there were times when the 3 in. tube was more discreetly carried over the 4 incher. Then again the difference was only minimal. Did appreciate the difference more than a few times though.

Member #
    Liked
    514 times

I saw a 3" 605 in a local shop about a year ago, went back 2 weeks later and it was gone. The longer barrel on a small frame really appealed to me for a woods gun. The guy checked all of his suppliers and they were all out with no info on getting more. I ended up with a 2" 605 but always wonder how one of those 3"ers would shoot.
    The .44 Special: If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Moma's, don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw
    3 inch barrels are better at somet hings, but not better in so many ways as to count overall. Ballistics are improved over the 2 in. barrels and give more sight reference,and make a good carry gun, but there isn't that much advantage over a 4 in.barrel except for easy carry. And that's only a small advantage.
    <snip>

Thanks. Enough pieces like this and some others you've posted and you could put together a pretty good book.

JimL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links