Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: 357 revolver with 3 inch barrel

Quote Originally Posted by Qwiks draw
    there isn't that much advantage over a 4 in.barrel except for easy carry. And that's only a small advantage.
    My own interest in a 650 or 651 would be to probably shoot .38 +p yet have the option for .357 - a personal matter.

But I don't understand why you would suggest that there is little difference in carry size between the J and the K.

Thanks a million

JimL

Member #
    Liked
    5531 times

The measurements of K frame, Colt Detective Special, Ruger SP101, and the J framed .357 magnum guns have been done time and time again by the gunwriters and shooting instructors. The difference in cylinder circumference and the frames of the different types isn't as great as one would suppose. Granted the K frames are slightly larger in most areas, but not by much and not enough to make a big deal about.Some probably will. This does make the K framed and similar types a bit harder to hide.
    A few tenths or hundereths of an inch here or there isn't going to get argued over.

Since I have a hard time hiding a .357 maggie in a pocket I chose to carry the 65. Shoot better with it too.

I do like the Taurus 605 and the 600 and 800 series revolvers. Just never had a need personally to have a 5 shot pocket cannon when the 85CH I have does a wonderful job.

There are those who can utilize the magnum power and versatility of the pocket rockets. My hat's off to those who go that way. I've just got it covered a different way than others do.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I own the 605 3-inch stainless steel. I bought it because I was looking for a wheel gun for concealed carry and got a good price on it. It was NIB but used (never fired).

I was buying it for carry and did not want a two inch snubbie. It conceals nicely and I'm generally very pleased with it on the range. I have found that I have to be choosy about the ammo. High power ammo is tough (for me) with this gun. I carry 130gr short barrel gold dots or DPX.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I have carried a 605 for almost 3 years now, and I have been perfectly satisfied with it. It's accurate enough, and it carries well. It also makes for a very nice truck gun, although thats not exactly a hard role to fulfill. It's literally the only non-.22 handgun that I own that I would not sell (or at least contemplate selling ), simply because it fills so many roles so well for me. About the only thing it doesn't do well is act as a range gun. It's a great little gun and all, but for me it is a "combat" gun, pure and simple. That isn't to say I don't practice with it, but I am saying that for a fun day at the range plinking and burning up ammo, I have other guns, rimfire and centerfire both, that are way more fun to shoot.

Member #
    Liked
    1062 times

For a fun range session with your snubby .357, load it up with lower velocity, light (110-130 grain) .38 Specials. I bet you change your mind.
    Taurus PT-92, PT-908, PT-111Mil
    Taurus M-94 (2), M-96, M-605

Member #
    Liked
    35 times

I am pretty sure they make the small frame 85 and 605 in a 3" right now. They used to make the medium frame 65 in a 3".

I wish they still made the 65 in 3".

There is a dedicated following for 3" K-frame sized guns. For us, they are the epitome of the carry revolver. They cut a couple OZ. of weight off the 4" and are an inch shorter making them easier to carry (try to carry a 4" K-frame IWB- ouch). They point and handle just about perfectly. They are quite concealable, yet they are heavy enough for quick follow up shots and comfortable range practice even with most .357mag fodder. Unlike the 2" or 2 1/2" guns they have a full length ejection rod- the shorter guns sometimes fail to fully eject fired rounds due to the truncated length of the ejection rod, the 3" guns don't have this problem. The 3" barrel gives a slight ballistics edge over the 2" or 2 1/2" barrels and it is easier to be accurate. This size gun just hits a sweet spot that the 2" K or J-frame size guns and 4" K-frames don't.

I really would like to see Taurus return to making 3" K-frame sized guns. It isn't a new gun or new caliber so I doubt if starting a run of them would cost that much money to set up and there would be a market, especially now that S&W has completely abandoned the K-frame sized .357mag let alone 3" K-frames. I for one would buy at least 2.

As for the 3" J-frame sized guns, I don't have first hand experience. I did handle a 3" S&W 60 at a gun store once and it seemed that for a belt gun or IWB it may be nice. It handled nice and for a belt gun (as opposed to a deep concealment gun where you need the 2") it would have some advantages- mainly in easier accuracy and slightly better ballistics than the 2". IWB a J-frame has an advantage over the K-frame, the bulge is noticable with a K-frame, with a J-frame it basically disappears (though OWB I would go with a K-frame sized gun).

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6834 times

M66, older version with hammer block lockwork. The thing is about as easy to carry as my 2.3" SP101 and carries an extra round. It's blued, adjustable sight, and shoots real easy. I've got a Hogue monogrip on it now, shown here with the pachmayr gripper that was on it when I bought it. The gun is quite accurate. I paid $180 at a gun show for it. You can't find an old M19 Smith with a 3" barrel for under 600 bucks anywhere in the US that I know of and, frankly, I'd as soon have the Taurus. I had a 19 and it didn't shoot .38s that accurate, was okay with .357s.

Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have a 65 in 3", will report from the range this weekend.

Member #
    Liked
    2264 times

I must've been living in a cave for years. I was on Ruger's website and just now noticed that they make a stainless GP100 with a 3" barrel!!! Needless to say, I just bought one from Davidson's.
    In Loving Memory---Anthony 10/12/1998 - 3/26/2010

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    6834 times

The GP100 is a little heavy, but the plain sights and rugged to the max gun is GREAT for carry if you can handle the weight on the hip. The old Speed/Security Six line was a lot more handy in weight, but the GP is a stronger gun.

Ruger has a new gun, an auto I think, that everyone is squawking about. I didn't pay a lot of attention and need to go check the Ruger site to check it out. The last big development they had was the P345 and, frankly, I ain't tradin' my P90 for one of those. They've been dropping more models than creating lately and I've just sorta lost track of what they're doing, though I'm a raging Ruger fan, generally. I have a 2.3" SP101 and think a 3" version of that (actually 3 1/16") would be an awesome IWB carry. The little barrel is pretty impressive, though and a little handier for CCW.
    Taurus Rossi
    M85UL M511 Sportsman
    M66 3" blue M68 3"
    M66 4" Nickel M92 Carbine in .357 Mag
    M605 Poly Protector
    "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul" - G.B. Shaw

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links