Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Taurus model 441 in .44 spl. shoots pretty good groups

The m-441 with three inch barrel shoots pretty good groups first time out to the local range.

However, some of my powders used were extremely filthy dirty, along with the alox lube on some bullets...bad koo koo.

These are some of the better ones...shot with cleaner burning powders.

TB C45

Although the Unique was one of the dirty burning powders, it shot very well as usual.

The Clay's and Trail Boss were the cleanest burning that day, actually cleaned out the gun's barrel from the previous dirty powders shot through it.

TB C45

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    44 times

Re: Taurus model 441 in .44 spl. shoots pretty good groups

Found it. I'm going to lock your other 2 versions of this.
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2970.0
    http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2964.0

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    436 times

Thanks for the range report TB C45! I'll be testing some new bullets and loads with my 441 this weekend, can't post pics though. :
    The .44 Special: If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Moma's, don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Thanks to the staff at Taurus Armed.net, especially Steelheart. You da man...you fixed my boo boo not being able to post on the site.

Treg, good luck on your 441 shoot this weekend, you could give us writtten group report...even if you have no pictures.

Man, I really hate them dirty powders that soot up my guns, stuff like Bullseye, Unique, and bunch of others I've got in my powder box.

It also helps to not use crappy Alox lube on your bullets, use some modern harder lube like the red stuff or blue stuff.

BTW, the bottom target showing the Hornady powder coated HB bullets really burn clean through your gun's innerds. If you tilt your head to the left you'd see I was trying to make the Zorro Z mark but ran out of boolits.

If you stick to Hodgdon's Clays, it seems to be the cleanest, then Titegroup, Universal is pretty clean but seems to not burn completely...always some unburned residue...use maximum loads with that powder and you might get total burning.

Another new powder is the IMR Trail Boss, this stuff is the cat's meow, it really cleans up a dirty barrel and leaves it that way...good powder. But you may have to tinker with it to find an accurate load...I'm still tinkering.

They say AA No. 5 is a good clean burning powder.

Anyone else out there recomend good clean burnners.

TB C45

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

tracker, good shootin, i'm glad you like your 441.dan

Member #
    Liked
    436 times

Tried out some of the 250 gr. Kieth bullets from Black River Bullets today. Went from 6.7 to 7.9 grains of Univesal in .3 gr increments. 7.3 grains was most accurate with a group just under 2 3/4" at 40 yards. *These loads are above the recommended load by the powder manufacturer, proceed at your own risk.*
    I may try to fine tune this load further but the answer may lie in getting bullets sized a little larger. Anyway, this is a suitable deer load even if it isn't improved on this year.
    TB C 45 have you measured your cylinder throats?
    The .44 Special: If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.

Moma's, don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Treg, you are shooting very good groups there. I only shoot at about 15 to 20 yard range...can't see good enough to try any further. But my bullseye targets are only 4 inch in diameter.

You are right about thinking you may need bigger bullet diameters, the Taurus is notorious for oversized cylinder throats of about .434 diameter...and the barrel rifling is only .429 diameter.

The best I can do with this situation is to size my bullets to .431 diameter for the present, and then eventually get them bumped up to .432 diameter.

I also find that hollow basing softer cast bullets helps to expand the bullets base walls at about 1/4 of an inch depth...kind of a cone shape depth with the walls thickness about 3/16th of an inch. But I stippulate a warning here that this is for only moderate reloads that do not exceed 900 fps velocity.

Any faster I would recomend bumping a slight dimple in the harder cast bullets base. I've also done this with some older bullets that were .429 dia. with Lyman brass gas checks, and dimple bumped them up to .431 diameter...that should help them shoot better in the oversized cylinder throats...I hope. (all this is done with swaging dies)

Good luck in shooting the Taurus 441, its a great revolver.

TB C45

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Treg!

Was getting ready to load some of your good shooten 7.3 grains of Universal Hodgdon powder in my .44 special brass to be shot in a model 441 Taurus.

But holy cow, in checking the manuals your 7.3 grains is over maximum recomended which is 6.5 grains.

The maximum 6.5 grains of Universal will push the 250 grain cast bullet with a GC to 920 fps velocity.

I would think the 7.3 grains you suggested and shot in your gun would be in the lower magnum class loads???

What was the recoil like when you shot that load...had to be pretty stiff.

I usually never go over 850 fps velocity to be sure the gun won't get hurt...or me.

TB C45

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

i've shot and really like 12.5 grs of 2400 with a 250gr lswc,in my 6"441.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

i hope this works my latest 44 special a cimarron model p 4 3/4".pictured also is a blackhawk 357mag 4 5/8"barrel,may become a 44 special down the road
    when and if funds become available.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Links