Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Jacket pieces stuck to forcing cone?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  Jbthomp 
#1 ·
Today when I was shooting my tracker 44 mag I noticed the cylinder seemed like it was dragging between rounds. When I checked it out there was a piece of bullet jacket stuck on the end of the forcing cone and dragging on the barrel. I picked it off and a few rounds later it did it again. This gun isn't very old, it's probably only had a couple hundred rounds through it. Is this a timing issue or something else?

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Off center barrel or maybe they didn't cut the cone right. Either way that's a warranty repair. Notice the lead on either side of the forcing cone. That lead also escapes out the side of the gun. Each shot sends a bullet out the front and a tiny shotgun blast out the sides. Send it back. Don't shoot it again.

#5 ·
Yeah I think it's going to be unanimous. A dangerous situation especially in such a powerful category. Consider yourself lucky and don't shoot it again. Send it back. Maybe if you fake an injury it will speed things up lol!

Reactions: switchbow
#13 ·
I concur with this fellow...

#6 ·
There'a an alignment issue of some sort. Timing is usually on the left or the right. On the top like that it could be a bent/sprung crane maybe. Needs to be fixed.

#8 ·
Good luck...probably 6-8 weeks. If past the free shipping time period, look to have an FFL send it back registered mail, insured, via USPS...it will save you some dollars over using Fedex overnight.

Reactions: jdfworth and Sekol
#10 ·
should be good to go if you bought it new 30 days ago...it's not as long as it once was...maybe 6 months? Which means when one gets a new gun it's important to shoot the heck out of it to shake it down.

Reactions: Sekol
#11 ·
I'm thinking you should have stopped after first noticing this. Looks like the cylinder and barrel are not properly aligned. If I were you, I'd be on the phone with Taurus ASAP.

#14 ·
Chat is an easy way to communicate with them also...and it can give you a paper trail. They can probably give you a way to send photos if needs be.

#16 ·
I wouldn't blame that on ammo and be tempted to try it again. The results could be much less than satisfactory.

#17 ·
If you have not sent it back yet include a copy of the picture you posted so they can see exactly what you are talking about. Good luck with the repair and keep us posted on time frames.

#18 ·
Had the exact same issue with mine. From what I have read, it is common (yikes). I sent mine back on 4/10 and still waiting.
Last year I sent back a S&W 350PD to S&W for a cylinder replacement and it was back to me in 10 days. This is my first and last Taurus. Although I am not in a hurry for it (have other guns to keep me occupied), there is absolutely no excuse for a 7-8 week turnaround.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.